Author Topic: Lutheran Core Meeting  (Read 2653 times)

pearson

Re: Lutheran Core Meeting
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 12:03:18 AM »
Isn't it language like this that makes dialogue virtually impossible? To say that only two ELCA seminaries "can be trusted to produce confessional Lutheran pastors" or are "possibilities for faithful study" unfairly denigrates all the other seminaries and their graduates. If that is CORE's view, the future looks bleak for conversation.

It seems to me this kind of language is precisely what makes dialogue possible.  One of us states a claim, such as "only two ELCA seminaries can be trusted to produce confessional Lutheran pastors."  Someone then asks the origial poster to identify those two seminares.  Once that is done, someone else inquires as to the reasons for the claim.  When the reasons supporting the claim are articulated, the rest of us can publicly assess those reasons, evaluate the resulting arguments, and endorse or reject the claim, offering up our own reasons for or against.  Sounds like conversation to me.

Tom Pearson   

Charles_Austin

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 03:20:48 AM »
It may be "conversation," but is it the kind of discourse we seek within the Body of Christ and the ELCA part of it? To begin with the flat declaration that three quarters of our seminaries "cannot be trusted" sounds to me more like extremist ideology than fraternal discussion.

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 03:48:45 AM »
read the excellent report in Forum Letter.

Thank you, David.
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »
It may be "conversation," but is it the kind of discourse we seek within the Body of Christ and the ELCA part of it? To begin with the flat declaration that three quarters of our seminaries "cannot be trusted" sounds to me more like extremist ideology than fraternal discussion.

If it's false, then its falsity should become evident in the light of discussion.  But if it's true, it's very important, seems to me.  And if it's believed by many, then it's important to know whether it's tgrue or false. 

But my views on these things were formed before the accepted way of settling a debate was to shout down the people who disagree with me.  :'(

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 11:11:09 AM »
But my views on these things were formed before the accepted way of settling a debate was to shout down the people who disagree with me.  :'(
In high school and college debate competitions, the debaters have to be able to argue both sides of the issue -- with conviction. This means that they have to study and understand and respect the arguments on both sides. Shouting seems to happen when one believes his/her views are not taken seriously or respected or properly understood.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]