Author Topic: Sexuality amendments  (Read 7506 times)

Gladfelteri

Re: Sexuality amendments
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2005, 06:38:43 PM »
Since then, God's leading has been steadily been going from traditional to revisionism/modernism; from conservative to liberal. My old ways of thinking and believing I found just were not honest with scriptures and real life; and were determental to a theology centered on the grace given through Jesus.
Brian, This I can relate to.  Except that I went in the opposite direction.  I was a "cradle Episcopalian" and grew up in an extremely "Anglocatholic" yet theologically highly conservative parish in a small town in central Missouri.  I came out of college "The Great Atheist of the Western World."  In my early thirties I experimented with Tibetan Tantric Buddhism (my Guru was a "red hat" Lama of the Karma Kagyu order.)  Eventually, I found my way back to Christianity first as a liberal with Eastern "tendencies;" and over time God has been pushing ME more and more in a conservative direction.  After retiring from the Army, I was in the first class to graduate from Wittenberg Lutheran Seminary (ECCL)  (Kansas City) which is quite conservative as you would expect.  I took two years of Greek, a year of Hebrew and various other supplementary courses from Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (Southern Baptist Convention) in Kansas City which is extremely conservative as well.  As I traveled through life along a "convoluted" path from "semi-militant Atheist" to conservative Christian, I also found that my past ways of thinking and believing were likewise "not honest with scriptures and real life as I experienced them (and as a forensic dentist working with the Police and the Army I saw very much of the very worst of life) and were determental to a theology centered on the grace given through Jesus."  A very similar process, driven by the same God, but a different result.  We are both seekers, and that I can relate to.

Many years ago, as a college student who was "teetering" on the edge of Atheism, the very wise Pastor (Pr. Adolph Meyer) of an LCMS parish I was serving as Organist at the time, advised me to "study everything, question everything, use my mind to critically evaluate everything, and go wherever the evidence led me.  But, wherever my spiritual journey took me, keep my mind open to the *possibility* that conservative, orthodox Christianity just might turn out to be true after all."  

Not typical advice to hear from an LCMS Pastor then (in the mid 1960's or now.) But it was among the best advice I ever got from anyone in my entire life.

By the way, I do read your exegesis website almost every week and have done so for a long time.  Obviously I disagree with much of your interpretation, but not on your command of Biblical languages, which I very much respect and admire.    Even though a liberal - for now, anyway (and I do realize that you absolutely have to go where you believe God is leading you, and I certainly respect that) I will bet you would be a gifted Greek seminary Professor (if you are not teaching already.)  

And, I would like to pass on to you, the same advice Pr. Adolph Meyer gave me so long ago.  God is not finished with either of us yet.

Peace

Irl
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:24:10 PM by Gladfelteri »

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2005, 06:47:19 PM »
By the way, I do read your exegesis website almost every week and have done so for a long time.  Obviously I disagree with much of your interpretation, but not on your command of Biblical languages, which I very much admire.  On that you have my respect and admiration.  Even though a liberal - for now, anyway (and I do realize that you absolutely have to go where you believe God is leading you, and I certainly respect that) I will bet you would be a gifted Greek seminary Professor (if you are not teaching already.)

I am not a Greek professor, abut thanks for the compliment. I minored in Greek in college -- the school didn't offer a major in the classical languages. (My major was psychology with an emphasis on statistics. Although a "soft science," we still had to use the scientific method.) For almost 30 years, I have served small parishes. I preach every week that I'm not on vacation -- and often preach when I'm on vacation. (I'll be doing that next month during a visit to Kansas.)
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

ROB_MOSKOWITZ

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 06:51:22 PM »

Let me ask you, Rob, did the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve have sex with each other? Is all of humanity the result of incest?

Do you agree with the beliefs of a LCMS minister who stated that there were no such things as dinosaurs?They are not mentioned in the Bible. They do not fit into the 6000 years of biblical history. The fossels we see were created by God to confuse unbelievers.

These are some results of a "direct understanding" of God's Word.

Can science prove the resurrection?   The casting out of demons, making the blind see, the lame walk or Lazarus braught back to life?  Can it prove grace?  or faith?    I submit that if you need it to then you have science and faith is yet to be found.
  As a Christian I have the same faith in God's power of creation as know through the Word as I do in his son's resurrection.  My faith does not require sciences approval.

By the way what made the big bang?   Where did it come from?  

I guess its just a matter of what you put your faith in?  Which was the subject of my thesis for my degree in Anthropology/Archeology.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 06:57:14 PM by ROB_MOSKOWITZ »

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2005, 07:00:05 PM »
Can science prove the resurrection?

I didn't say anything about science. I asked about a couple of issues related to scriptures. You didn't answer them.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

ROB_MOSKOWITZ

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »

I didn't say anything about science. I asked about a couple of issues related to scriptures. You didn't answer them.

I think I did answer.  I have no issue with scripture.