Global Methodist Church Is 1 Year Old

Started by Dave Likeness, May 01, 2023, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Likeness

This week on May 23, there were 83 churches from Iowa
who voted to leave the United Methodist Church denomination.
Their release was approved.  The deadline to separate is Dec.
31, 2023.  Again the main issue was that these 83 churches
disapprove of same sex marriage and gay/lesbian clergy.
These 83 churches represent about 11% of the United Methodist
parishes in Iowa.

J. Thomas Shelley

A good summary of the UM dissolution process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjydUH-lfDo

What is alarming is that the Conferences will still be entitled to the same number of delegates to the General Conference as before the dissolution; and that now with the more conservative members departing there will be over-representation by the mostly revisionist remnant.   This could certainly tilt the global balance and force North American mores on Africa.   Of course such a thing has never happened before.  /s
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Pastor Ken Kimball

Quote from: Charles Austin on May 23, 2023, 09:57:48 PM
Pastor Fienen:
the only way to avoid participating is to quit any profession that can in anyway become involved. Much of modern life becomes closed to those who dissent.
Me:
Well, as I have often said, there is often a price to be paid for our beliefs. As Brian said, consider the Amish. And you don't like much about "modern life" anyway.
Strange how the progressives are leading us back full circle to medieval Europe where Jews were driven and kept from most civil and commercial life, only now the progressives are the authorities and orthodox Christians are to be relegated to their ghettos.   

Dave Likeness

The latest report of June 14, 2023 has listed 5,500 congregations
who have left the United Methodist Church.  Not all of them have
joined the Global Methodist Church.

DCharlton

David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

J. Thomas Shelley

Thirty percent of the congregations in my county have been granted permission to depart for the GNC.

The impact is so great that at the start of this month the "York District" has ceased to exist and has been absorbed into a multi-county "Supervisory Area".

https://susumc.org/files/news/suslink/2023/Summer%20LINK%202023%20web.pdf

All of the congregations which I served during my four year ministry were among those departing; along with a couple of the larger "flagship" congregations in the greater urban area.

Sadly, the congregation in which I was Baptized and Married was not among them.

Dave Likeness

As of December 20, 2023, 7,600 congregations
have left the United Methodist Church denomination.
This is a 25% exodus from the UMC which had about
30,000 congregations. Not all of them have joined
the Global Methodist Church denomination.

Dec. 31, 2023 is the deadline for a peaceful exit
from the UMC. It has been called the biggest schism
in recent Protestant history in America.

J. Thomas Shelley

On the second anniversary of the founding of the Global Methodist Church; the General Conference of The United Methodist Church voted overwhelmingly (93%) to end the prohibition of practicing homosexual clergy.

Reportedly, the GC has also enacted legislation to prevent District Superintendents from taking disciplinary action against clergy who perform same-sex union ceremonies as well as preventing disciplinary action against clergy who refuse to perform such acts; and likewise preventing disciplinary action against congregations.

That sounds eerily like the "bound conscience" plethora of positions which deemed to be equally valid at the time...and we know how that worked out.

Matt Hummel

Quote from: Dave Likeness on May 25, 2023, 02:36:19 PMThis week on May 23, there were 83 churches from Iowa
who voted to leave the United Methodist Church denomination.
Their release was approved.  The deadline to separate is Dec.
31, 2023.  Again the main issue was that these 83 churches
disapprove of same sex marriage and gay/lesbian clergy.
These 83 churches represent about 11% of the United Methodist
parishes in Iowa.

What would be interesting to know is what the AWA/Giving is for those 83 and is it larger than 11%.
Matt Hummel

"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

David Garner

Quote from: J. Thomas Shelley on May 01, 2024, 10:20:33 PMOn the second anniversary of the founding of the Global Methodist Church; the General Conference of The United Methodist Church voted overwhelmingly (93%) to end the prohibition of practicing homosexual clergy.

Reportedly, the GC has also enacted legislation to prevent District Superintendents from taking disciplinary action against clergy who perform same-sex union ceremonies as well as preventing disciplinary action against clergy who refuse to perform such acts; and likewise preventing disciplinary action against congregations.

That sounds eerily like the "bound conscience" plethora of positions which deemed to be equally valid at the time...and we know how that worked out.

That's how it always worked out, and it's how it always will work out.

The decline that follows it is equally inevitable, and thus foreseeable.  The Methodists deserve what is coming their way, because they are practically begging for it.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Terry W Culler

My wife's college roommate and her husband left their UMC congregation after many years and joined a Global Methodist congregation even though it requires some driving on their part to get to church. She told my wife that she had been watching the Global Methodist conference, evidently both at the same time, and found it heartening and a relief. A pastor friend of mine who left the ELCA and joined the AFLC told me he actually cried at his first
AFLC conference, it was such a relief after years of trying to support orthodoxy in his former place. Situations like this can truly be cathartic for those who have struggled in their old homes.
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: Terry W Culler on May 02, 2024, 08:50:39 PMMy wife's college roommate and her husband left their UMC congregation after many years and joined a Global Methodist congregation even though it requires some driving on their part to get to church. She told my wife that she had been watching the Global Methodist conference, evidently both at the same time, and found it heartening and a relief. A pastor friend of mine who left the ELCA and joined the AFLC told me he actually cried at his first
AFLC conference, it was such a relief after years of trying to support orthodoxy in his former place. Situations like this can truly be cathartic for those who have struggled in their old homes.
On the other side, a friend, a gay man was married to his husband in the UMC where he grew up. He was also working at that congregation as their administrator - while also serving a small UMC congregation as a lay minister. He worked up the minister ranks and is now serving the congregation where he grew up and was married. When he was often asked why he stayed in the UMC that didn't recognize his marriage (and where some would prevent him from my clergy profession,) he responded that he could only bring about change from within the UMC. He, and I presume, the conference where he served and was supported, is thrilled about this change.
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

Mike in Pennsylvania

At my first NALC national Convocation, I was confused.  I had spent years attending LCA and ELCA synod conventions and assemblies, sitting in the back and making snarky comments about the proceedings.  In the NALC there was nothing to snark about!
NALC Interim Pastor

Charles Austin

"Mike" writes:
I had spent years attending LCA and ELCA synod conventions and assemblies, sitting in the back and making snarky comments about the proceedings.

I comment:
And you are proud about this, that you mocked and belittled the church body that called you and that you promised to serve?
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis. Often critical of the ELCA, but more often a defender of its mission. Ignoring the not-so-subtle rude insults which often appear here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk