Valpo President/Board Decide to Sell Art Masterpieces to Pay for Dorm Renovation

Started by Mbecker, February 24, 2023, 08:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Johnson

Quote from: Dave Likeness on March 23, 2023, 05:55:02 PM
Most Unitarians believe in God the Father,

Even that is questionable. And most Unitarians these days would not countenance the use of the name "Father."

(Too bad we've lost the old saw that Unitarians believe in the fatherhood of God, the brotherhood of man, and the neighborhood of Boston!)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

A Unitarian church, where my group used to sing once in a while, had a brochure in their rack with six pages explaining what they did not believe.
OTOH A former Lutheran Pastor i knew, went over to a Unitarian church, and was preaching what he called "biblical monotheism". No trinitarian or sacramental mysteries.
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis.
GUILTY on ALL 34 counts

Dan Fienen

Quote from: Charles Austin on March 24, 2023, 12:00:56 PM
A Unitarian church, where my group used to sing once in a while, had a brochure in their rack with six pages explaining what they did not believe.
OTOH A former Lutheran Pastor i knew, went over to a Unitarian church, and was preaching what he called "biblical monotheism". No trinitarian or sacramental mysteries.
Not then what I would theologically call Christian. Perhaps could be considered within the broader sociological category of Christian religions.

The question has been raised whether Jews, Muslims, Unitarians, JWs, LDSs, etc. worship the same God that we Christians do. That is actually a more complex question than it may appear at first glance and admits of no simple answer.

Our understanding of God is monotheistic. If there were many gods then the question of whether different people in their rituals address the same god becomes a simpler question. Which of the several gods out there is being addressed? Did Greeks who worshiped Zeus worship the same God that the Romans did when they worshiped Jupiter? But if God is singular, the question of which of the several gods in existence is being addressed becomes moot. There is no other God to be addressed so any worship is directed at the only God that can receive the worship. By default then, if there is only one God, then any worship directed at the divine must be addressed to Him. But will He accept and receive worship directed at the divine but incorrectly directed at divinity that is understood incorrectly?

I occasionally receive mail addressed to me not by name but as Occupant or Resident at my address. It gets to me and I may look at it, even respond if it suits me, but I do not mistake it for missives directed at me personally. Whoever sent it, sent it blindly without any real knowledge or understanding of who they wished to reach. If anyone else lived at my address, they could as easily receive the mail and deal with it as I. It may or may not even be appropriate for me.

Similarly, people who worship God or gods without having a clear understanding of just who God is, what He is like, etc. may be simply sending out words that in the context of the true God are meaningless, inappropriate, or even insulting.

It isn't even really a question of having the correct name for God. I respond to several names and variations, even job titles or descriptions. Hey you! may suffice, or Pastor, Tim's father, Jan's husband, or my personal name of Daniel or Dan. Even if the name is completely wrong but the context is sufficient for me to recognize that I am being addressed, I may still respond although I likely will correct the addressor.

Does God hear the worship or prayers of those whose understanding of Him is so vague or mistaken that it is doubtful that they actually are addressing who He is rather than a cosmic "To Whom It May Concern?" God is omniscient He knows everything that everyone says and does. If nothing else, He must hear everything to determine if it addressed to Him. Even Alexa hears whatever is said around her to determine if she is being addressed. Something that raises privacy concerns about smart speakers.

But will God respond favorably to prayers and worship that is obviously not addressed to who He actually is or to some generic Whoever is Out There? That is not promised or guaranteed. Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Acts 4:12  And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." At a minimum it seems to me that we should not be content to allow people who wish to call on God to remain ignorant of who they address, His nature and His intentions.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Dan Fienen on March 24, 2023, 01:03:54 PM
The question has been raised whether Jews, Muslims, Unitarians, JWs, LDSs, etc. worship the same God that we Christians do. That is actually a more complex question than it may appear at first glance and admits of no simple answer.

Well, you certainly have managed to make it more "complex" than it is!   ;D
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Jim Butler

Quote from: Donald_Kirchner on March 24, 2023, 01:28:58 PM

I think Dan has a good point: is the God of natural revelation truly God? When I speak with Muslims, Jews, or just theists, and I mention "God" there is an assumption that we are all talking about the same thing. The major difference is how we have a relationship with God: Jesus or our own merits.
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: Jim Butler on March 24, 2023, 02:48:20 PM
Quote from: Donald_Kirchner on March 24, 2023, 01:28:58 PM

I think Dan has a good point: is the God of natural revelation truly God? When I speak with Muslims, Jews, or just theists, and I mention "God" there is an assumption that we are all talking about the same thing. The major difference is how we have a relationship with God: Jesus or our own merits.

Although many Jews would say that their relationship with God comes because God chose Abraham and his offspring not because of their merits. The Israelites showed over and over again that they were not worthy of God's choice.

NOTE: I've begun another discussion on the God(s) of the Jews.
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Jim Butler on March 24, 2023, 02:48:20 PM
When I speak with Muslims, Jews, or just theists, and I mention "God" there is an assumption that we are all talking about the same thing. The major difference is how we have a relationship with God: Jesus or our own merits.

I would never assume that.
Don Kirchner

Charles Austin

Unless we throw out what we call the old testament, the God to whom we pray is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis.
GUILTY on ALL 34 counts

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Charles Austin on March 24, 2023, 03:23:03 PM
Unless we throw out what we call the old testament, the God to whom we pray is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Of course it is. Luke 24:27. John 1:1-18
Don Kirchner

Tom Eckstein

Quote from: Charles Austin on March 24, 2023, 03:23:03 PM

Charles, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob IS the Triune God.  Jews who reject Jesus reject the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - which is why, in John chapter 8, Jesus accused the Jews who rejected Him of being children of the devil rather than those who worshipped the true God.
I'm an LCMS Pastor in Jamestown, ND.

Dave Likeness

The Chicago Tribune newspaper in their April 4, 2023 issue reported that
Valparaiso University on March 9, 2023 paid $2.2 million for the former
Strongbow Inn.  It was purchased by the Valpo endowment fund.
It is located about a 15 minute walk down the side of a highway from
campus.

Bottom Line: Anybody have more information on this purchase?

peter_speckhard

Quote from: Dave Likeness on April 05, 2023, 11:55:57 AM
The Chicago Tribune newspaper in their April 4, 2023 issue reported that
Valparaiso University on March 9, 2023 paid $2.2 million for the former
Strongbow Inn.  It was purchased by the Valpo endowment fund.
It is located about a 15 minute walk down the side of a highway from
campus.

Bottom Line: Anybody have more information on this purchase?
Strongbow's was a Valpo mainstay for decades eve before the town started to grow eastward along US 30 and Hwy 2. It's speciality was Turkey dinners. There used to be two restaurants on the corner of 30 in the big field that the chapel sits in, and VU bought both of them several years ago and tore them down as part of a long term plan to redo the main entrance to campus and make it off of US 30, which is now done. I would guess they previously paid for a right of first refusal to buy all kinds of properties near or adjacent to campus. Investing capital in real estate probably works as well as investing it in the stock market and gives the university greater organizational flexibility if less liquidity than stocks. I don't think it probably relates to the proposed art sale, but I don't have any specific information on what they plan to do with the site or why they wanted it.   

Dave Likeness

Valpo University basketball forward Ben Krikke finished his Senior
year and now will take his Graduate year of eligibility and play for
the Iowa Hawkeyes in the Big Ten Conference next season.

Ben is 6' 9'' and weighs 230 pounds.  Last season he led the
Missouri Valley Conference with a 19.4 points per game average.
He made first team MVC honors and will be a welcome addition
to the Hawkeyes.  Thank you Valpo for this gift.

peter_speckhard

Say what you want about art and athletics, but the buzz has it that VU scored a major coup in the hiring of their new basketball coach. Expect Valpo to be on the map and a more familiar name to high school students, hopefully leading to some enrollment gains. Anyone who knows the deal will tell you Bryce Drew did more to market VU than an entire marketing department could have done. If Coach Powell can build a conference contender, VU will benefit greatly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk