Author Topic: A column from Austin  (Read 4505 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: A column from Austin
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 10:20:54 AM »
oh, for heaven's sake! I said that the "discussion" was going on in other forums here. I was only trying to avoid bifurcating the discussion, and to suggest that you could throw your brickbats at me over there. The suggestion that I was trying to stop discussion is absurd; although as noted, I feel no call to justify my words to Eric, Maryland Brian, Pastor McCain or anyone else here.

Eric posits: Nothing I say here is based on what only I think. I speak from a tradition, for a church, and I speak from what used to be the majority position. I know when something sounds indigeneous or foreign. Many of the people speaking at the mics were not speaking from our traditional categories or with our traditional vocabulary.

To which I respond: I disagree. I, too, speak from a tradition and - I dare to believe - for a church. And I heard, in the plenaries, the hearings and other places in Chicago "our traditional categories" and "our traditional vocabulary," though it was not the terms that would satisfy you.

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »
Some traditions  go back 500 years, some 1500, some 2,000. Some go back to the sixties.

scott3

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:37:47 AM »
How about the "Delete Thread" button if all you want to do is to express an opinion, and the churchmice's whiskers would be even more safe, as posting a piece here obviously indicates some desire to have others know something.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 02:00:31 PM »
Okay, I tried he little "lock/unlock" button. Did it work?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
Seems to have.  ;D

Johnson, sitting in the Kansas City airport waiting for a pilot.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS