Author Topic: Front Lines of Ministry  (Read 421 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Jeremy_Loesch

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Front Lines of Ministry
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 09:45:59 AM »
My first congregation was Concordia in Lincoln Village on the far west side of Columbus.  It began on the Hilltop but moved west when Nationwide Insurance offered some land to congregations that would move into the then new Lincoln Village.  The congregation jumped at the chance.  The Hilltop is a nice neighborhood but it has some rough elements for sure.  I'm sorry to see that happen.  In the early 2000s we still had several families who lived in the Hilltop, all of them going to West HS.  I do wonder about the training the pastor had in deescalation.  I don't have that training, or the little that I do may not be enough. 

Jeremy

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 12:09:45 PM »
My first congregation was Concordia in Lincoln Village on the far west side of Columbus.  It began on the Hilltop but moved west when Nationwide Insurance offered some land to congregations that would move into the then new Lincoln Village.  The congregation jumped at the chance.  The Hilltop is a nice neighborhood but it has some rough elements for sure.  I'm sorry to see that happen.  In the early 2000s we still had several families who lived in the Hilltop, all of them going to West HS.  I do wonder about the training the pastor had in deescalation.  I don't have that training, or the little that I do may not be enough. 

Jeremy

The Hilltop used to be a desirable neighborhood, I'm told.  I used to visit families there and they complained about how much it had changed. They've moved out. Lot's of drugs; growing violence have moved in.

I had an experience like this street scuffle some years ago. Heard people yelling and went outside. On the street and sidewalk below the parsonage there were about thirty youth. I didn't recognize them as part of the neighborhood. Some were fighting, others egging them on. I stood on our lawn above them, took out my phone, and crossed my arms in a posture of disapproval. Slowly they started noticing me watching them and started back towards High Street from where they apparently came. I never said a word and stayed at a distance the whole time.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Saint Peter's Lutheran Church
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 12:27:27 PM »
Tough to watch - the pastor looks like a burly guy, but he just got overrun by a gang/mob of kids.  I was doing confirmation class a few years ago, kids who mostly attended a notorious middle school, so I began with "how was your day at school?"  One student goes, "OK, not terrible, some days have been better, I guess.  My friend was thrown out of the third story window, but at least she didn't die."  Say what?

Speaking with a young man now a husband and father recently, he recounted as he often does that without the church, which he entered right off the street in his teens, he would probably be dead.  We're trying to revitalize our neighborhood youth presence - very difficult, very risky, very necessary. as followers of Jesus.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 01:40:48 PM »
Transforming neighborhood and society one life at a time!
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »
An odd thing about my experience was that the fighting seemed unreal, staged. I found myself wondering if the youths we're acting. Surreal.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 07:09:15 PM »
An odd thing about my experience was that the fighting seemed unreal, staged. I found myself wondering if the youths we're acting. Surreal.

The fact that violence was real does not preclude it being staged. I teach at an inner city all male HS. We have had issues with kids using the one bathroom for boys as a place for "Fight Club," complete with videos being uploaded to various social media platforms.

SO something almost akin to duels can develop, where a time and a place are chosen and then folks attend with their ubiquitous cell phones and, BAM!
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien