Author Topic: WARNING! WARNING!  (Read 715 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
WARNING! WARNING!
« on: September 19, 2022, 08:17:27 PM »
When I try to log on to ALPB from my computer I've been getting this warning.

This server could not prove that it is alpb.org; its security certificate expired 3 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Monday, September 19, 2022. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

I can get on without problems with my iPad, but it's more difficult to type than on the computer keyboard.
"The church ... had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING! WARNING!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 08:19:10 PM »

This server could not prove that it is [/size]alpb.org[/color][/size]; its security certificate expired 3 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Monday, September 19, 2022. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]I can get on without problems with my iPad, but it's more difficult to type than on the computer keyboard.[/color]
It’s being worked on. If you go to details and click go to website anyway, the warning stops. It seems only some browsers do that if a website certificate expires.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 08:26:22 PM »

This server could not prove that it is alpb.org; its security certificate expired 3 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Monday, September 19, 2022. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

I can get on without problems with my iPad, but it's more difficult to type than on the computer keyboard.
It’s being worked on. If you go to details and click go to website anyway, the warning stops. It seems only some browsers do that if a website certificate expires.

They don't quite stop. It comes up every time I do something, like posting this message.
"The church ... had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 08:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the help Peter.

Chrome gives warnings and more warnings.

Safari has no warning.

I can again type long replies. :D

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 12:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the help Peter.

Chrome gives warnings and more warnings.

Safari has no warning.

I can again type long replies. :D

We'll have to talk to Safari about that.  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »
Edge, which is Chromium based, gives one warning when I enter the site.  After that it is quiet except for the "Not secure" warning to the left of the navigation box.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Saint Peter's Lutheran Church
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 02:36:35 PM »
Thanks for this - I had the apprehension that we had been hacked by QAnon. Or Democrats. 

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 02:07:50 AM »
Everything has been "normal" on WhiteStar (a Netscape Navigator descendant) and Vivaldi.

Put those conspiracy theories on ice!
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »
Browsers vary in their response to an expired certificate.  Brian reports his browser warns pretty much every time he does anything on ALPB.  My browser (Edge) warns once when it first sees the expired certificate.  J. Thomas Shelley reports no warnings at all.

I am a software engineer.  There are different opinions as to how software should respond to an error like this.  We're seeing the full range of possibilities here.  I prefer the middle ground of warning the first time the browser sees the expired certificate and then shutting up.  Some argue that you should warn each time to make sure the user knows there is a problem.  Still others argue that users are not qualified to make security decisions so why bother?  And each group thinks the other two are wrong, and anyone with yet another opinion is clearly a heretic.  ;)

Fletch1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 02:56:32 AM »
I use the Safari browser on a MacBook.  A continual warning that the ALPB site is "Not Secure" is displayed in the site address menu bar.  I believe this refers to the fact that HTTPS is not available when viewing the ALPB site, only HTTP.  I've gotten that warning for quite a while every time I view the site.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 12:05:12 PM »
I use the Safari browser on a MacBook.  A continual warning that the ALPB site is "Not Secure" is displayed in the site address menu bar.  I believe this refers to the fact that HTTPS is not available when viewing the ALPB site, only HTTP.  I've gotten that warning for quite a while every time I view the site.

That's what Safari had.

Chrome (on a MacBook) had a full screen warning, then two clicks to get to the non-secure site. When I clicked "post" after writing one, the full screen warning popped up again, two clicks to get it posted.

It's all better now. Chrome is back to usual.