Author Topic: "Faith---The Trajectory of the Prophets"  (Read 223 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
"Faith---The Trajectory of the Prophets"
« on: June 28, 2022, 04:39:20 PM »
S. D. Giere's article offers helpful comments at a number of points. "Faith is the goal and justice is the fruit" with the clarification that it is specifically faith "in the Triune God alone" (Lutheran Forum, Summer 2021, p. 25).

He notes, "A preponderance of students who come to seminary [in the ELCA] want to be prophets. To be agents of change" (p. 27). Here is the fruit of Liberation Theology. Giere helpfully notes, "The vocation of the pastor is to steward the word by proclaiming the gospel and stewarding the sacraments in a manner congruent with the gospel."

"Skipping over faith in the interest of justice bends well-intentioned prophecy towards false prophecy, as it leaves the object of the trust something other than the Triune God." (p. 28).
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
Re: "Faith---The Trajectory of the Prophets"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 05:04:07 PM »
A pastor's main task is proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ crucified and risen.  If you substitute anything else for that you're not really a pastor.  One of the problems with so many seminaries is their view of their task is wrong, their responsibility is to prepare men to be pastors.  That is why they exist.
Trying to be retired but failing

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 01:40:57 PM »
Part of the challenge I think is that the justice and prophetic stuff is what's "hot and sexy" at the moment.  But, in order for prophetic imagination to be most effective it must be, as Pr. Culler pointed out, rooted and grounded in Christ, and Scripture.  It must flow from our faith and witness to that alone.  The other legs of the stool are, groundwork that prepares your folk so they understand the connection between the Iowa prairie and George Floyd, or whatever issue you pick, and a deep relationship with and knowledge of your folk and where they are at...all of which take time.
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »
I guess the question would be, how does one balance proclamation regarding social justice (which I would regard as proclamation of the Law) with proclamation of the Gospel? If I'm preaching about the murder of George Floyd, my Law is targeted to persons outside the congregation, outside the hearing of my sermon. The proclamation of the Gospel, which follows, is great, of course, but it's disconnected from the proclaimed Law. It's sort of like the preaching against pride festivals that happens in some conservative churches when no one in the pews is attending a pride festival. Should not both the Law and the Gospel speak to the actual hearers rather than assumed hearers?
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.