Author Topic: Current Best Film  (Read 391 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Current Best Film
« on: March 14, 2022, 10:21:12 AM »
I have students in catechism who are new to Sunday School and church life. We are studying the second article of the Creed and they are very interested in seeing a movie about the life of Christ. In the past I have shown The Jesus Film (Genesis Project; Inspiration Films, 1979), which follows the Gospel of Luke fairly well. I wonder what is more recent, well done, and faithful, while not being overlong.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
Re: Current Best Film
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 04:16:14 PM »
The Gospel of John (There are also "The Gospel of _____") is a solid production.  It's from 2003. (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377992/)

It isn't finished.  And it is long, a TV series.  They are only up to the Sermon on the Mount in the 2nd season.  But "The Chosen" is a very good production.  You'd watch it just as a great piece of entertainment.   I honestly thought I was pretty jaded about video productions, but the gospel is a great story, we know that, and they really have captured that through two seasons.  At the end of the first season I was afraid that it would be a Mad Men type thing.  The first season was so good that everything after would pale in comparison, even if it was still very good.  They avoided that. (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9471404/)

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 04:42:28 PM »
The gospel according to Saint Matthew, directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini. 1964
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
The gospel according to Saint Matthew, directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini. 1964

He asked for a film more recent than 1979.  And you give him one from 1964.  OK....

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »
In 1977, Director Francis Zeffirelli gave us "Jesus of Nazareth"
which became an instant classic.  It was 6 hours and 20 minutes.

Now "Jesus of Nazareth" has been remastered and recut to
1 hour and 43 minutes.

So technically the short version is not strictly of 1977 vintage.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 07:40:44 PM »
Sometimes, Pastor Bohler, older is worth noting. And Pasoliniís take is interesting.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.