Author Topic: Interview with the Babylon Bee  (Read 826 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Interview with the Babylon Bee
« on: March 12, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »
Kongsvinger Lutheran Church (AALC), 15 minutes or so out of Grand Forks ND, had a fundraiser last night.  Recipients of the money raised were Lutherans for Life and the Grand Forks Women's Pregnancy Center.  Guest speaker was Kyle Mann of the Babylon Bee, speaking about the nature and use of satire for Christians.  The video starts with info/presentations by the Women's Pregnancy Center and Lutherans for Life; the presentation by Mr. Mann begins about 15 minutes into the video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXt_zJGG1U

Dana Lockhart

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with the Babylon Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 01:01:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing this!

In general, I find the Babylon Bee hilarious… there are plenty of liberal ELCA-ers who appreciate good satire.

I really found this a fascinating talk about the role satire can play in Christian witness. I think Kyle Mann handles the topic well, addresses concerns about "punching down" adeptly, and lays out a strong case.

Obvious political/theological differences, certainly, and the "obligatory" snub of the ELCA (but we can take it), but I am sympathetic to the overall argument. We need more laughter and far less humorless ideological bunk in this world.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 10:21:07 AM »
"Babylon Bee's Kyle Mann said Zuckerberg FBI admission 'vindicating' for satirical site: 'Saying it for years'"

"Mann said it is critical for society to keep a sense of humor and comedy, and not censor, especially as it relates to politics and the divisiveness it brings"

http://foxnews.com/media/babylon-bees-kyle-mann-zuckerberg-fbi-admission-vindicating-satirical-site-saying-years
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

MEKoch

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 08:41:15 PM »
When a congregation or a family has no laughter, no humor, then WATCH OUT.  There is hidden tension; hidden anxiety; hidden fear. 

A pastor interviewing at another congregation should take note and observe this carefully.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 12:13:58 AM »
When a congregation or a family has no laughter, no humor, then WATCH OUT.  There is hidden tension; hidden anxiety; hidden fear. 

A pastor interviewing at another congregation should take note and observe this carefully.

Didn't know to note it, didn't really notice it per se but the "American Gothic" of both the Call Committee and Council were intimidating.

It was the grace of God and not my powers of observation that allowed me to last just shy of 25 years.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 09:47:24 AM »

Check the church's organizational history as well as the current tension level.  Churches named Peace - because there was none and there was a split, for instance.  There's a church in the Atlantic District which went through a tragedy in the 1970s - the pastor and his wife were killed in a small plane crash.  A beloved pastor and family.  Decades later, the leaders had grown up and many of them carried that pastor's first name.  Underlying was for the longest time unprocessed grief. Subsequent pastors were in that shadow, not being able to live up to the people's memory of their lost leader.

Ecclesiastically in a pastoral vacancy where there was conflict one of my first questions was "are you getting along yet?"  It's viewed as an intrusion by a congregation when the call process is extended by the supervisor, but in my experience that extension was warranted due to the internal dissension, until measures were taken using person/people trained in conflict resolution.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 10:49:50 AM »

Check the church's organizational history as well as the current tension level.  Churches named Peace - because there was none and there was a split, for instance.  There's a church in the Atlantic District which went through a tragedy in the 1970s - the pastor and his wife were killed in a small plane crash.  A beloved pastor and family.  Decades later, the leaders had grown up and many of them carried that pastor's first name.  Underlying was for the longest time unprocessed grief. Subsequent pastors were in that shadow, not being able to live up to the people's memory of their lost leader.

Ecclesiastically in a pastoral vacancy where there was conflict one of my first questions was "are you getting along yet?"  It's viewed as an intrusion by a congregation when the call process is extended by the supervisor, but in my experience that extension was warranted due to the internal dissension, until measures were taken using person/people trained in conflict resolution.

Dave Benke
I had someone tell me to beware of congregations with "Living" or "New" in their name, because that usually meant they were less than amicably splintered off from the other church in town presumed to be comparatively old and dead.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 10:22:19 AM »

Dave Benke
I had someone tell me to beware of congregations with "Living" or "New" in their name, because that usually meant they were less than amicably splintered off from the other church in town presumed to be comparatively old and dead.

Absolutely.  We have or had a Love Lutheran (not sure if it still exists) out this way.  Some of my stormiest meetings were held at Love.   8)

Dave Benke