Author Topic: Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin  (Read 21228 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2022, 05:33:00 PM »
After listening to Prof. Schulz in the Gottesdienst podcast, I'd say the presidential search is simply the spark of a larger argument that was inevitably going to come to a head anyway. The same battle-- should Concordia survive and thrive by becoming more like other successful universities or by becoming a clear alternative to other universities?

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »
Having read what Professor Schultz has written, having considered his suspension from office and the appeals of officials and former officials to "trust" the leadership that suspended him, it appears that this case conforms to a pattern one often sees in the LCMS.  There is a conflict.  We see the conflict between the regents and a professor, but that's just what we see.  The real conflict is between loyalty to an institution of the church and loyalty to the Word of God.  Schultz's loyalty is to God's Word.  That's how it appears to me.  The University wants to suck up to the "woke" crowd whose approval they imagine will garner them success as a university.  To criticize the institution is always the cardinal sin among papistic Lutherans who tell us to trust men.  It sure looks like Schultz is being punished for having the temerity to criticize his employer.  The DPs tell us to muzzle ourselves and let the process work.  I think the process can work just fine while concerned Christians give public voice to their concerns.
These are very serious charges, that the university has abandoned its loyalty to the Word of God, that those who are ordained in the administration have broken their ordination vows of fidelity to God's Word as explicated in the Lutheran Confessions and instead are loyal to "wokeness." What more evidence do we need of their perfidy than the charges that Schultz have leveled?

I do not know Professor Schultz, so I have no way of judging the veracity of his charges. I do not know those who are in charge of the process, or those whom Schultz has accused of abandoning their loyalty to the Word of God in pursuit of being "woke." How can I judge their guilt or innocence? On the basis that these charges resemble other situations that I've observed so they must be sooth? Voicing concerns are fine, but some seem to have jumped from voicing concerns to rendering judgments and picking sides. I will place at least a moderate amount of trust in the Synodical presidents who must supervise this conflict. Pres. Maier is my DP, so I have at least some familiarity with him and trust in his judgment. I have similar regard for SP Harrison. I will not assume that they must be disloyal to God.

Rev. Fienen, you have responded recklessly to my post, imputing to me what I did not say.  If you were to read what I wrote without bias, you would see that I was talking about Professor Schultz when I said that the "real conflict is between loyalty to an institution of the church and loyalty to the Word of God."  When I accused the University of sucking up to the "woke" crowd, I was stating what I think is obvious.  I would think that this is obvious as well to President Harrison and President Wille, though I would not presume to speak for them.  For you to suggest that I am accusing President Harrison of being "disloyal to God" is to put words in my mouth that I did not say.  I am confident that President Wille and President Harrison will, after examining the facts, come out in defense of their brother, Professor Schultz, who has been persecuted for speaking his mind.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2022, 06:00:15 PM »
After listening to Prof. Schulz in the Gottesdienst podcast, I'd say the presidential search is simply the spark of a larger argument that was inevitably going to come to a head anyway. The same battle-- should Concordia survive and thrive by becoming more like other successful universities or by becoming a clear alternative to other universities?

Schulz's name, apologies accepted on all sides, could still be put forward and he could still be the one.  He won't be, but he still could be, as apologies on all sides are made and accepted.  I don't know this person, but my understanding is that the President at Concordia Chicago is on a very similar wavelength to The Reverend Doctor Schulz.  You could put out feelers to see how that's going.

"A Clear Alternative to other universities" is going to look and sound a lot like (as we bow our heads in humble admiration) Hillsdale.  That's the model.  Or - the Preus Family College about to be established in Wyoming.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2022, 06:15:56 PM »

Schulz's name, apologies accepted on all sides, could still be put forward and he could still be the one.  He won't be, but he still could be, as apologies on all sides are made and accepted.  I don't know this person, but my understanding is that the President at Concordia Chicago is on a very similar wavelength to The Reverend Doctor Schulz.  You could put out feelers to see how that's going.

"A Clear Alternative to other universities" is going to look and sound a lot like (as we bow our heads in humble admiration) Hillsdale.  That's the model.  Or - the Preus Family College about to be established in Wyoming.

Dave Benke
Agreed re Hillsdale and the Lutheran Classical University. The question is what it is wrong with that? Does the world really need another smallish Midwestern liberal arts university with an indistinct but vaguely recognizable connection to a religious "tradition" yet offering a postmodern, post Christian view of the world? Not really. Does the world need another high quality higher learning dedicated to investigation of the world in the light of objective Truth, especially of the Gospel and the Scriptures along with the great works the Western Civilization? Yes, desperately. The real question is not whether the new president of CUWAA js particularly woke. The question is whether he sees the mission of the school as including providing an alternative to in that regard to what every other school is providing, and whether he sees and is dedicated to combating the ways standard, woke ideology in Academia actually undermines the foundations of truth and is inimical to the Gospel.   

The Yak

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 01, 2022, 07:05:58 PM »

I came to a quite different conclusion.

Rather, that his entire position vis-a-vis CUWAA is predicated on incredibly thin evidence (three words and the move to exclude a panel of candidates who do not have significant administrative experience, a move which other Concordias have done in the past) and that this unsupported premise was taken as a given throughout the interview.

Of course we shouldn't become like every other university out there. It's a horrible idea. CRT only serves to divide and has no upside; neither does other woke ideology. But he is operating on vanishingly little evidence to make incredibly broad conclusions that puts the worst construction on the little evidence that is present.

Said differently, he is posing a question no one is asking. Best I can tell, there is no movement to make CUWAA woke. At all.
Rev. Dr. Scott Yak imow
Professor of Theology
Concordia University - Ann Arbor

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #260 on: March 01, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »
I am wrestling with the Prior Approval Panel, mentioned in the release from the Board at CUW on February 1, a month ago.  The members of that panel when I served on one were:
a) The President of Synod
b) The President of the District in which the university/college was located
c) The Chair of the Concordia University System board

So it is, or at least was, three people.  Pre-COVID, the three people met with the CUS exec and a search committee member and worked through the list.  At least that was the template.  Then the Board received that information right away. 

What that meant and possibly still means is that names could be kept or dismissed by a vote of 2-1.  In this case, if that Prior Approval Panel make-up still exists, two of the three people would be:

President Harrison and President Wille.  Huh.

Both of them have been called in on the case of the professor and his tussle with the board of regents, the staff leadership and the search committee, and then with whoever was involved in the decision to suspend him with pay from teaching duties.  Both of them, if they are indeed on the P.A.P, are mentioned in the letter from the Board on February 1 as folks whom the board wanted to meet with and discuss what happened in the prior approval process.

How does that work?  I'm kind of hoping there's a different makeup to the Prior Approval Panel these days, so this combo of factors doesn't pertain.  Because it's bothersome.

As to Scott's post - Said differently, he is posing a question no one is asking. Best I can tell, there is no movement to make CUWAA woke. At all.
  This continues to be the point, and it can't be repeated often enough - the professor, either egged on or on his own, is attempting to prove, to use the analogy, that a soundly sleeping institution is up and at 'em, caffeinated and bright-eyed woke.  Scott is, unless I'm missing something, teaching at CUWAA.  Wouldn't he know? 

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2022, 07:41:39 PM »

Rather, that his entire position vis-a-vis CUWAA is predicated on incredibly thin evidence (three words and the move to exclude a panel of candidates who do not have significant administrative experience, a move which other Concordias have done in the past) and that this unsupported premise was taken as a given throughout the interview.

Of course we shouldn't become like every other university out there. It's a horrible idea. CRT only serves to divide and has no upside; neither does other woke ideology. But he is operating on vanishingly little evidence to make incredibly broad conclusions that puts the worst construction on the little evidence that is present.

Said differently, he is posing a question no one is asking. Best I can tell, there is no movement to make CUWAA woke. At all.
That's why I think the fight is/was inevitable. What he and apparently many others regard as utterly problematic is something the other side barely notices. One side thinks the proposition so self-evident it hardly merits demonstrating-- CUWAA has not suddenly become in thrall to wokism with this selection, it has been sliding in that direction for years. The other side doesn't see that at all; the objection to this presidential search seems to be coming out of nowhere. That makes for an inevitable fight. If it wasn't this presidential search, it would be some proposed curriculum reform, or admission requirement, or scholarship proposal. Something would eventually happen that one side would regard as completely unacceptable and the other as pretty innocent and normal and the whole thing would come to a head.

One thing he points to in the podcast that I certainly think is true the premium people put on the nature of the faith as countercultural. Homeschooling was a big subtopic of the podcast. It is exploding in the LCMS, with our own parochial schools coming to be seen as being acceptable only by necessity in cases where homeschooling is not a feasible option. It has become a part of search committees for congregations with parochial schools. We had someone essentially take his name off our call list do to the requirement that our pastors' children attend our school; he was going to home school, and if that was a dealbreaker, so be it. I think that is getting to be common.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for homeschooling. We would have done it with our first except that my congregation signed on to become part of an association school, where our eldest was the very first student ever enrolled. And we kind of got into that groove. We did homeschool one year when my wife took the kids for a semester to Mexico, where her mother lives. We (meaning she) homeschooled the younger ones for the first semester while the two elder ones attended parochial school, basically practicing the homeschooling and saving tuition money for the second semester of homeschooling all six of them in Mexico. So I'm not in the least bit an anti-homeschooler. But I'm on the older side for the real movement in the LCMS toward bigger families and homeschooling.

It is a big movement now that embraces counterculturalism on theological grounds given our post-Christian context. I think it is a driving force behind this spat at CUWAA. At least, that is a subtext I picked up. CUWAA either becomes the sort of countercultural school (like Hillsdale and the Classical startup in Wyoming) that today's confessional homeschoolers are looking for OR the fact that it chooses not to is prima facie evidence it has gone woke. That division wasn't going to go away is no articles had been written to CN and no professor suspended.     
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:33:20 PM by peter_speckhard »

The Yak

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 01, 2022, 07:49:47 PM »

That's why I think the fight is/was inevitable. What he and apparently many others regard as utterly problematic is something the other side barely notices. One side thinks the proposition so self-evident it hardly merits demonstrating-- CUWAA has not suddenly become in thrall to wokism with this selection, it has been sliding in that direction foe years. The other side doesn't see that at all; the objection to this presidential search seems to be coming out of nowhere. That makes for an inevitable fight. If it wasn't this presidential search, it would be some proposed curriculum reform, or admission requirement, or scholarship proposal. Something would eventually happen that one side would regard as completely unacceptable and the other as pretty innocent and normal and the whole thing would come to a head.

One thing he points to in the podcast that I certainly think is true the premium people put on the nature of the faith as countercultural. Homeschooling was a big subtopic of the podcast. It is exploding in the LCMS, with our own parochial schools coming to be seen as being acceptable only by necessity in cases where homeschooling is not a feasible option. It has become a part of search committees for congregations with parochial schools. We had someone essentially take his name off our call list do to the requirement that our pastors' children attend our school; he was going to home school, and if that was a dealbreaker, so be it. I think that is getting to be common.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for homeschooling. We would have done it with our first except that my congregation signed on to become part of an association school, where our eldest was the very first student ever enrolled. And we kind of got into that groove. We did homeschool one year when my wife took the kids for a semester to Mexico, where her mother lives. We (meaning she) homeschooled the younger ones for the first semester while the two elder ones attended parochial school, basically practicing the homeschooling and saving tuition money for the second semester of homeschooling all six of them in Mexico. So I'm not in the least bit an anti-homeschooler. But I'm on the older side for the real movement in the LCMS toward bigger families and homeschooling.

It is a big movement now that embraces counterculturalism on theological grounds given our post-Christian context. I think it is a driving force behind this spat at CUWAA. At least, that is a subtext I picked up. CUWAA either becomes the sort of countercultural school (like Hillsdale and the Classical startup in Wyoming) that today's confessional homeschoolers are looking for OR the fact that it chooses not to is prima facie evidence it has gone woke. That division wasn't going to go away is no articles had been written to CN and no professor suspended.     

Kudos to you for creativity. And holy cow have we left what's actually going on toward unsubstantiated speculation as to the facts on the ground. People get lost in their causes, and the above post is an example of that in that it, again, assumes a premise regarding CUWAA that has not been demonstrated. Unless, of course, it is in the vein of more general commentary on our societal problems, but it has no traction (best I can tell) on CUWAA.

FWIW, we homeschooled until we found a good Lutheran, private school to send our kids to. But that we are now discussing homeschooling shows that the thread vis-a-vis proving Wokism at CUWAA has been dropped.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:52:17 PM by The Yak »
Rev. Dr. Scott Yak imow
Professor of Theology
Concordia University - Ann Arbor

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 01, 2022, 08:37:42 PM »

That's why I think the fight is/was inevitable. What he and apparently many others regard as utterly problematic is something the other side barely notices. One side thinks the proposition so self-evident it hardly merits demonstrating-- CUWAA has not suddenly become in thrall to wokism with this selection, it has been sliding in that direction foe years. The other side doesn't see that at all; the objection to this presidential search seems to be coming out of nowhere. That makes for an inevitable fight. If it wasn't this presidential search, it would be some proposed curriculum reform, or admission requirement, or scholarship proposal. Something would eventually happen that one side would regard as completely unacceptable and the other as pretty innocent and normal and the whole thing would come to a head.

Kudos to you for creativity. And holy cow have we left what's actually going on toward unsubstantiated speculation as to the facts on the ground. People get lost in their causes, and the above post is an example of that in that it, again, assumes a premise regarding CUWAA that has not been demonstrated. Unless, of course, it is in the vein of more general commentary on our societal problems, but it has no traction (best I can tell) on CUWAA.

FWIW, we homeschooled until we found a good Lutheran, private school to send our kids to. But that we are now discussing homeschooling shows that the thread vis-a-vis proving Wokism at CUWAA has been dropped.

I do not know the extent or the specifics of them, but the "We Love the Concordias" Facebook page does give a number of alleged examples of "wokeism" at CUWAA.  Things like CRT being taught/encouraged by an individual in a position of authority.  A transgender (female to male) student being allowed to sing in the school's choir as a male.  Black Lives Matter posters and groups.  And so on.  Now, as I said, I do not know how accurate or fair those characterizations are, but they ARE there -- it is not just some vague claim without reason, or an argument over homeschooling vs. parochial schools, or a sour grapes professor not getting his name on a list for consideration. 

What is interesting to me is, as has been said before, how the same people (by and large) that were all gung-ho over Rev. Engelbrecht's accusations of mobbing -- despite no concrete or verifiable examples -- are now pooh-poohing these accusations.  And those who pooh-poohed those mobbing claims now are, by and large, sure of these examples of "wokeism" at CUWAA.  And there are trustworthy people, people I know, on both sides.  It is very hard to explain.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 01, 2022, 08:38:41 PM »

Obviously I disagree. I don't think the wokism that Prof. Schulz sees at CUWAA is something people not already inclined to agree with him can see. To him, the mere fact that the prospectus includes diversity, equity, and inclusion is the smoking gun that makes his case. To others, such words are mere standard verbiage and no particular cause for concern. My point is simply that when two such different takes on the matter try to co-exist, they inevitably clash. I think if Prof. Schulz had never written to CN and never been suspended, this whole fight would merely have been delayed a bit.

Robert Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 01, 2022, 10:32:52 PM »
Yes, I know. Copying and pasting material from another source has become very difficult since Windows switched to Microsoft Edge for their web browser.

I suggest you download the Brave browser and see if it works better (almost certain).

Brave is essentially Chrome with all the spying-on-you stuff removed. Some web sites only work in Chrome or browsers like Brave.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2022, 11:16:29 PM »
Prof. Schulz's interview was helpful for understanding his concerns, which apparently extended back into previous months and years rather than just the three words from the presidential search. I have thought thus far that there might simply be a misunderstanding.

I don't see this getting clearer in the near term unless/until the board releases a statement, which seems unlikely given the tensions.

May the Lord guide all concerned to a resolution in keeping with the Scriptures and the needs of the Church.

I've noticed some reflecting on the situation and wishing for Concordia to become like Hillsdale College. I receive Hillsdale's Imprimis publication since one of my members obtained it for me. I don't think the Concordias should aspire to be Hillsdale, nor should they aspire to be Yale. They should aspire to train church workers for local parish ministry and missions. That's what we need most: strong parishes, not focus on Washington D.C.

God bless your fast and strengthen your faith this season.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:43:22 AM by Rev. Edward Engelbrecht »
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2022, 08:49:25 AM »
Prof. Schulz's interview was helpful for understanding his concerns, which apparently extended back into previous months and years rather than just the three words from the presidential search. I have thought thus far that there might simply be a misunderstanding.

I don't see this getting clearer in the near term unless/until the board releases a statement, which seems unlikely given the tensions.

May the Lord guide all concerned to a resolution in keeping with the Scriptures and the needs of the Church.

I've noticed some reflecting on the situation and wishing for Concordia to become like Hillsdale College. I receive Hillsdale's Imprimis publication since one of my members obtained it for me. I don't think the Concordias should aspire to be Hillsdale, nor should they aspire to be Yale. They should aspire to train church workers for local parish ministry and missions. That's what we need most: strong parishes, not focus on Washington D.C.

God bless your fast and strengthen your faith this season.
I think the attraction of Hillsdale stems from two things. First, the sheer independence of it makes it an example of not having to bow to academic trendiness or government dictates. Second, its dedication to the great texts, and study of the primary texts rather than academic commentary, keeps it in the tradition of what universities once all were.

Valpo was purchased by Lutherans for an educated laity, that is, not to be a church-worker training school but to be a genuine university in which people pursued all vocations by the light of God's Word and explored every topic of creation and human culture as showing forth the glory of God. That has all become a something of a muddle as the Concordias tried to become legit universities instead of church-worker training colleges and Valpo became more and more like any other university. So I think many people look to the Hillsdale model as a way to combine the purposes of the Concordias and Valpo and have all the advantages of a people educated in the sciences and liberal arts while remaining in overt defiance of the postmodern, relativistic trends that have undermined people's confidence that Truth, Beauty, and Virtue even exist. 

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2022, 09:03:45 AM »
However positive a "Hillsdale-Concordia" might be, financial support will be a huge challenge and likely impossible. My understanding is that Hillsdale depends upon a very large endowment fund that we in the LCMS cannot duplicate.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2022, 09:27:35 AM »
CUWAA has a partner in Ukraine, Ukrainian-American Concordia University:
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/concordia-university-wisconsin-helps-students-at-ukrainian-university

CUWAA is twice the size of Hillsdale College.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian