Author Topic: Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin  (Read 24850 times)

Mark Brown

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
Re: Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2022, 05:01:51 PM »
<snip> The reason for existing and the ability to exist are often at odds. Generally what happens is simple mission creep as institutions begin to see self-perpetuation as their purpose. Whatever it takes to survive, and if we have some vestigial reminders of our original purpose, great.

It's a digression from the thread topic, but this is why I believe that the Synod as a whole - two seminaries, nine colleges/universities, 35 districts, 5900+ congregations - either figures out a forward-thinking plan for contraction, or simply continues to die off one by one. There are simply way too many redundancies at way too many dwindling locations, each husk bleeding dry their resources - human and financial. Far too many decisions seem like efforts to stave off death rather than efforts to preserve life, let alone to forward life.

Don't get me wrong: the Church will stand, even when steeples are falling; the gates of hell cannot prevail against it. The Synod, on the other hand, enjoys no such guarantee. Given the demographic cliff we are tiptoeing towards, my prayer is increasingly that we can figure it out on the fly, as the years remaining to game plan and execute the game plan are growing short.

Off the top of my head, the synod should have probably: 1 seminary, 1 university, about 15 districts, and about 3500 congregations. I just don't see that we genuinely have the resources (human and financial) to carry much more than that in a healthy fashion... the resources become stretched too thin to really be a support system. I am happy to defer to others with broader scope than I on the actual numbers...

But I don't think anyone tasked with designing our synod from scratch today would come up with the current concoction of two redundant seminaries, multiple barely-Synodically-staffed-or-attended universities, highly redundant district staffs/functions, and a proliferation of multi-point, head-barely-above-water congregations pastored (far too often) by spread-too-thin, head-barely-above-water pastors.

I know every single institution/organization/congregation would die hard, but perhaps better to die hard than to die slow. Otherwise, T.S. Eliot's phrase comes to mind: "Not with a bang but with a whimper."

The good news is: Christ still reigns victorious over sin and the grave. But remember that God doesn't shy away from pruning, either.

100% agree. Although I'd make one slight change.  I'd just ditch districts.  Make valid circuits and CVs. Replace some district functions with some good technology and better process.  Replace others with a couple of Synod President staff positions.  But 15 districts would do roughly the same thing with humans which is not a terrible church solution although I think the next generation would quickly change it again.  It would be a temporary structure slapped together by a generation too old to do it forward looking.

But we are going to get smaller than we have to get because we won't make the necessary contractions now.  And it will happen with lots of stuff just stopping working while healthy parts (like maybe CUW) trying to get itself out of the dying system.

therevev

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2022, 05:03:22 PM »
IIRC, the statement that he was either in class or getting ready to teach one (I'm pretty sure it was the former) is from the letter from his lawyer to the Dr. Cario that Prof. Schulz released publicly.

If you are talking about the letter distributed by Steadfast, https://steadfastlutherans.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Letter-Dr.-Cario-re-Suspension-of-Dr.-Gregory-Schulz-PDF.pdf, I don't see any of the wording you describe. Maybe there is more than one letter from his lawyer.
----
Evan
Pastor in Michigan

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
He could have used a proofreader,

You can say that again!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2022, 05:43:17 PM »
Received via email today from the Interim President of Concordia Wisconsin:

February 24, 2022

Greetings from Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor,

In many ways, the spring semester has been off to a great start. Most campus activities have returned to “normal” and students are already looking ahead to spring break.

While there is much to celebrate at Concordia, this past week has been difficult. Last week I took the painful action of suspending one of our employees. Despite my effort to meet with the individual outside of class time to discuss the situation using biblical principles as outlined in Matthew 18, my request was rejected. The employee was suspended with full pay and benefits pending appropriate due process within our church system and the legal system.

This turn of events is regrettable, as is the nature of the public discourse it has spurred. Please be aware that when personnel matters arise, it is Concordia’s practice to make every effort to keep the situation confidential and private, both out of respect for the individual involved and to protect the university. Because the discussion of this situation has become so public, we have made the decision to publicly respond.

Despite the difficulties of this situation, please know that our priority at Concordia is to live out our mission every day by helping our students develop in mind, body, and spirit for service to Christ in the Church and the world. We remain unapologetically and overtly Christian from an LCMS perspective in all that we do and teach. While we are not perfect, we continue to seek God’s grace and forgiveness each day, modeling it for our students and one another.

Students, faculty, and staff, please join me in prayer as we navigate these days ahead together. Even in challenging times, our hope is in Christ alone and in whom we trust.

Thank you to the many who continue to encourage us. I am personally blessed by you and am most grateful.

Your servant in Christ,

Dr. William Cario
Interim President

Dave Benke

As I understand it, according to Dr. Schulz, he was either in class or had a class to teach at that time, making it hard to accommodate at that time.  So, there seems a bit of a discrepancy as to how available he was for this 'meeting.'  According to Dr. Schulz it didn't seem that he was unwilling to meet, just that the timing was not good.  But I still wonder why it was so serious that the teacher had to be removed from his duties.  Guess that will come out in time as well.

Did you speak with Dr. Schulz on this, Don, or get that informational read in some other way?  The letter from Interim President Cario was sent to me as an alum via email.  This letter from South Wisconsin District President Wille came from another source: 

Brothers and Sisters of the SWD:
Grace and Peace from our Lord.
Recent events at Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon, Wis. (CUW) are causing concern in the church.  Many people have weighed in on this situation and many instances of 8TH commandment violations have occurred.  People have taken liberties to make comments and create scenarios that simply do not exist.
As the ecclesiastical supervisor of the South Wisconsin District I have responsibility for ecclesiastical supervision, counsel, care, and protection of rostered church workers at CUW, in the performance of their official duties.  I am actively involved with the university and all the workers of the university who are rostered in the LCMS.  The administration of CUW is working with the me, as is Rev. Dr. Schulz to affectively deal with this situation in a God pleasing manner according to the LCMS bylaws and the policies of the university.
I ask you as your President to please put down the pitch forks and the torches, take a deep breathe, and believe in the process of the church that it will work.  I assure you as your District President that action is underway, and movement is occurring. You will likely not see any of this happening, I want you to know that I am involved, and I will assure you that I will follow this through until its end as I am able.
President Harrison is involved as well, and he is working with the parties as well in conjunction with me.
Fidelity to the teaching of the clear and inerrant Scriptures, and to the Lutheran Confessions, is non-negotiable. “If the salt loses its saltiness, what good is it?” (Matt. 5:13) Even when matters of doctrine are being discussed, the Eighth Commandment is to temper Christian discourse. I request your patience. I plead for your prayers. I request your prayers especially for the faculty, regents, leadership, and students of our beloved CUW and South Wisconsin District.
Take heart! The Lord works all for good. (Rom. 8:28)
Your Brother in Christ,
Rev. Dr. John C. Wille
South Wisconsin District President

Source for this letter is the Facebook Page "We Love the Concordias," which goes back about a year, and was originated as a place to voice dissatisfaction with books and events at the College formerly known as Concordia New York dealing with racism.  So there was a very specific agenda condemning anti-racism gatherings and discussions in the LCMS education system.  That migrated to Concordia Wisconsin last summer, and then last week migrated to Dr. Schulz.  The rhetoric on condemning anti-racism is in line, it seems to me, with the thought process of Dr. Schulz in his articles, and certainly with the overtures and resolutions coming out of the Mid-South District last fall.  In fact, the gratuitous trashing of Gretchen Jameson by a Ft. Wayne professor is directly in the same line as what's on this Facebook Page in terms of the ideological positions articulated. "We Love the Concordias" from the tenor of the post producers on this page seems to me to be stated ironically.

I underlined one sentence in Pres. Wille's letter.  He could have used a proofreader, but from what I've seen the pitchforks seem to be aimed overwhelmingly at Interim President Cario.

Dave Benke

A tenured Concordia University professor was suspended without notice or, he claims, due process on Saturday for writing an article in the Christian News that was deeply critical of the school's "woke dysphoria."

Dr. Gregory Schulz, a professor of philosophy, confessional Lutheran pastor, and retired lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force, was told Friday that he was to attend a disciplinary hearing that was scheduled in the middle of one of his classes. He responded that he was unable to attend and requested that the hearing be rescheduled.

The following day, Schultz's department chair informed him that he was suspended and barred from campus. When Schulz attempted to check his university email to learn the reason for his suspension and how long it is to last, he discovered that he had been locked out of his account.

Schulz has retained attorneys from the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty, who on Tuesday wrote a letter to Concordia's Interim President William Cario requesting more information about the suspension.

"Dr. Schulz has received none of the due process promised by his contract," the attorneys wrote. "Nor is he aware of any contractually permissible basis for his suspension.

"We are requesting that you provide us with Concordia's reasoning and any other details explaining the basis for this suspension, including the length, terms, and opportunities for process."

Schulz told "The Dan O'Donnell Show" that he strongly suspects that the suspension is in retaliation for an article he published last Monday in Christian News entitled "Woke Dysphoria at Concordia."

'We are under the influence of the Woke-ness in our nation and our Western culture, of course, but Wokeness appears to be developing into a pathology at my 'institution of Lutheran higher education' as it says in our mission statement," he wrote. "Our institutional dysphoria at Concordia University Wisconsin (CUW) has come to light – and has been exacerbated by the search for a new university president and the manner in which our Board of Regents and, in particular, its Executive Board and its Search Committee who have been pushing for a president who will be, in their corporate vocabulary, 'disruptive' and 'transformational.'"

Concordia has been searching for a new university president since the retirement of Dr. Patrick Ferry in June. In his article, Schulz was deeply critical of the school's board of regents for "publicly announcing their determination to have a president who exhibits a 'demonstrated belief in and commitment to equity and inclusion' and who promotes racialized 'diversity in all its myriad forms.'"

Concordia University did not comment on Schulz's allegation that the school has denied him due process, but released a statement denying that it was seeking a new president who is committed to social justice concerns.

"The Board has been clear that the ideal candidate will be a person of deep faith, humble and devoted to the teachings of Jesus Christ and God’s Word; winsome and fervent in their confession of the doctrine of the Lutheran Church," Concordia said in a statement. "The president will possess extraordinary intellectual curiosity and theological acumen."

1310 WIBA News Talk by Dan O'Donnell
February 22, 2022
https://wiba.iheart.com/featured/common-sense-central/content/2022-02-22-concordia-university-professor-suspended-for-criticizing-schools-wokeness/
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2022, 05:53:17 PM »
If you are a straight, white, middle-aged, traditional Christian male who aspires to become a university president, where should you apply? It seems to me that the complaint about CUW as Schulz describes it is not that it is particularly woke compared to anywhere else, but that it is insufficiently committed to not being like other places in terms of wokeness.

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
IIRC, the statement that he was either in class or getting ready to teach one (I'm pretty sure it was the former) is from the letter from his lawyer to the Dr. Cario that Prof. Schulz released publicly.

If you are talking about the letter distributed by Steadfast, https://steadfastlutherans.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Letter-Dr.-Cario-re-Suspension-of-Dr.-Gregory-Schulz-PDF.pdf, I don't see any of the wording you describe. Maybe there is more than one letter from his lawyer.

I was wrong. I was thinking of the message from Pr.  Engebretson. I thank him for posting it.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2022, 11:08:00 PM »
Here is Concordia's published profile of the president they hope to hire.

https://www.cuw.edu/microsites/president-search/_assets/documents/Candidate_Profile.pdf

"Ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound" is, of course, implied but not stated outright.

Peace,
Michael

As a one-time Board chair at a Lutheran college, I was actively involved in leading a presidential search. Our consultant told us that when colleges are asked to describe the person that they hoped to hire, they almost always set a standard that only Jesus could live up to, and even he only on his best days.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2022, 09:13:34 AM »
Here is Concordia's published profile of the president they hope to hire.

https://www.cuw.edu/microsites/president-search/_assets/documents/Candidate_Profile.pdf

"Ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound" is, of course, implied but not stated outright.

Peace,
Michael

As a one-time Board chair at a Lutheran college, I was actively involved in leading a presidential search. Our consultant told us that when colleges are asked to describe the person that they hoped to hire, they almost always set a standard that only Jesus could live up to, and even he only on his best days.

I have been there and done that as well, James.  The word "intense" describes the process.  It's a full-court press for the whole game.

We've received links in this thread to the ideological bombastic piece Prof. Schulz wrote on "wokeness."  The Christian News issue, however, contains two additional articles, both of which are directed at the Chairman of the Board, Dick Laabs, and several Board and Board/Faculty committees responsible for the presidential search.  In those articles the professor, who didn't make the final cut in the first run-through toward selection, directly attacks the board leadership and the process itself in a public and "open letter" format. 

In my experience, that's extraordinary.  It's institutional trash-talking, designed to tarnish the process itself, the board leaders by name, and the faculty who are involved. 

Professor Pless initiated this thread with the link to tomorrow's prayer service.   In concert with the other information provided along the way, it's clear the prayer service is integrally connected to everything from a Change.org Schulz support sheet to online messages calling for change at CUW from Synod-wide board and commission members to Ft. Wayne professorial shout-outs castigating former employees. 

Best prayer, in my estimation, is "Lord, have mercy."

Dave Benke

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2022, 10:54:00 AM »
In my experience, that's extraordinary.  It's institutional trash-talking, designed to tarnish the process itself, the board leaders by name, and the faculty who are involved. 

Dave Benke
Also designed to tarnish Concordia University Wisconsin Ann Arbor itself. That's the most extraordinary aspect to me. I don't know Christian News; maybe it has a tiny niche circulation. But clearly it is read by somebody.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:14:05 AM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »

Dave Benke
Also designed to tarnish Concordia University Wisconsin Ann Arbor itself. That's the most extraordinary aspect to me. I don't know Christian News; maybe it has a tiny niche circulation. But clearly it is read by somebody.

Peace,
Michael

If you were to go to the Facebook page We Love the Concordias, you will find the posts from various people well inside the national system, plus and including professorial leaders at the Ft.Wayne seminary, lending encouragement to wrecking the reputationo of CUW/AA unless and until the faculty, administration and board itself are cleansed of those using concepts like diversity and inclusion. 

These are full-on culture wars taking no prisoners, not even their most successful institutions.  You're right.  This is extraordinary in the extreme.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2022, 11:58:53 AM »

Dave Benke

Peace,
Michael

If you were to go to the Facebook page We Love the Concordias, you will find the posts from various people well inside the national system, plus and including professorial leaders at the Ft.Wayne seminary, lending encouragement to wrecking the reputationo of CUW/AA unless and until the faculty, administration and board itself are cleansed of those using concepts like diversity and inclusion. 

These are full-on culture wars taking no prisoners, not even their most successful institutions.  You're right.  This is extraordinary in the extreme.

Dave Benke
Do you think it is possible that such terms as diversity, equity, and inclusion mean different things to different people, and understood the way these people you're talking about seem to understand them, they are indeed problematic? Ask someone whether black lives matter and everyone to a man will say yes. But they'll also understand that the question is freighted, and many people who accept the surface meaning of the words utterly reject the underlying assumptions implied by using them at all. They are divisive, pick-a-side terms.

CUW is not cheap. It needs to make a case as to why it is clearly different from any old school. There has to be a sense of why need our own university at all. Given an option between CUW and, say, UWGB (University of Wisconsin-Green Bay) in which the latter is cheaper and has better facilities, people might say, "I'm going to CUW because it is Lutheran." They aren't going to say, "I'm going to CUW rather an UWGB because of the better equity, diversity, and inclusion." Those are buzzwords in academia, much like offering preferred pronouns, that do not really say anything concrete so much as signify adherence to a particular worldview or lens, and many people part of the raison d'etre of a Concordia is to provide an alternative to that worldview in academia.

The heavy-handedness and trashing of reputations doesn't seem to be going in one direction here, either. Prof. Becker publicly challenged LCMS teachings, leaders, and the overall direction of the synod, but he was never treated as abruptly as Prof. Schulz seems to be being treated. As we lament the whole tone and escalation of a disagreement that might have been more professionally and pastorally handled, I don't think we ought to blame one side and excuse the other, at least until we know a lot more. Assuming that Prof. Schulz and those who support him are the bad faith actors here is rushing to judgment.   

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2022, 12:16:42 PM »

Dave Benke

Peace,
Michael

Dave Benke
Do you think it is possible that such terms as diversity, equity, and inclusion mean different things to different people, and understood the way these people you're talking about seem to understand them, they are indeed problematic? Ask someone whether black lives matter and everyone to a man will say yes. But they'll also understand that the question is freighted, and many people who accept the surface meaning of the words utterly reject the underlying assumptions implied by using them at all. They are divisive, pick-a-side terms.

CUW is not cheap. It needs to make a case as to why it is clearly different from any old school. There has to be a sense of why need our own university at all. Given an option between CUW and, say, UWGB (University of Wisconsin-Green Bay) in which the latter is cheaper and has better facilities, people might say, "I'm going to CUW because it is Lutheran." They aren't going to say, "I'm going to CUW rather an UWGB because of the better equity, diversity, and inclusion." Those are buzzwords in academia, much like offering preferred pronouns, that do not really say anything concrete so much as signify adherence to a particular worldview or lens, and many people part of the raison d'etre of a Concordia is to provide an alternative to that worldview in academia.

The heavy-handedness and trashing of reputations doesn't seem to be going in one direction here, either. Prof. Becker publicly challenged LCMS teachings, leaders, and the overall direction of the synod, but he was never treated as abruptly as Prof. Schulz seems to be being treated. As we lament the whole tone and escalation of a disagreement that might have been more professionally and pastorally handled, I don't think we ought to blame one side and excuse the other, at least until we know a lot more. Assuming that Prof. Schulz and those who support him are the bad faith actors here is rushing to judgment.
How about "I'm going to UWGB instead of CUWAA because they say that CUWAA is a nest of snakes and scorpions. Even the presidential candidates say so. Do I need that?"

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2022, 12:39:59 PM »

Dave Benke

Peace,
Michael

Dave Benke

How about "I'm going to UWGB instead of CUWAA because they say that CUWAA is a nest of snakes and scorpions. Even the presidential candidates say so. Do I need that?"

Peace,
Michael
But where did that start? By rejecting a slate of candidates including their own professors and qualified people in sister organizations in favor of finding someone disruptive and transformational (along with the stated DIE goals), what were the Regents inviting people to say? "I'm going to UWGB instead of CUW because CUW is so terrible it is in urgent need of being disrupted and transformed. Even their own Regents say so! Why buy a product that even its salesmen say is no good?"

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »

But where did that start? By rejecting a slate of candidates including their own professors and qualified people in sister organizations in favor of finding someone disruptive and transformational (along with the stated DIE goals), what were the Regents inviting people to say? "I'm going to UWGB instead of CUW because CUW is so terrible it is in urgent need of being disrupted and transformed. Even their own Regents say so! Why buy a product that even its salesmen say is no good?"
"Where did that start?" doesn't make any difference to the prospective student (or to the prospective faculty or staff member). They want to attend or work at an institution where they can get educated (or educate) without interference from culture wars, and where people are civil to each other. They don't have time or energy to sort out who's to blame for the nasty atmosphere; enough that that atmosphere exists.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:03:44 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »

"Where did that start?" doesn't make any difference to the prospective student (or to the prospective faculty or staff member). They want to attend or work at an institution where they can get educated (or educate) without interference from culture wars, and where people are civil to each other. They don't have time or energy to sort out who's to blame for the nasty atmosphere; enough that that atmosphere exists.

Peace,
Michael
Prospective students are looking to be undistracted by culture wars? Then why do universities make so much noise about them? The universities lead the charge for the progressive side of our culture wars. You might think them virtuous or misguided, but in no way are they trying to give students an education undistracted by culture wars. They are places where one side of the culture wars is so much taken for granted as correct that only resistance to it is even noticed as a distraction.