Author Topic: Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin  (Read 24855 times)

jtpless

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin
« on: February 22, 2022, 03:38:38 PM »
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ of the South Wisconsin District, members of the CUWAA community, Pastors, Commissioned Ministers, and concerned members of The Lutheran ChurchóMissouri Synod:

Lord, have mercy upon us! Christ, have mercy upon us! Lord, have mercy upon us! I write to you out of concern for the Confessional faithfulness of Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor. At times of great unrest in the Church, we are all called to repentance and to invoke the Lordís help that we might be preserved in faithfulness to Christ and in fervent love for one another. Events of recent months revolving around the Presidential search at CUWAA and brought into the public arena with the suspension of Dr. Gregory Schulz from CUW, has driven many of us to our knees to cry out to our Lord for His deliverance and for the preservation of our beloved Concordia.

Ultimately, the issue is not about a single individual, but about being faithful to Christ and the Word of God. We turn to Christ and Godís Word as we seek to preserve and strengthen the confessional integrity and faithfulness of His university, and to be a faithful witness to world enslaved in the darkness and false hopes of anti-Christian dogma.

Peace Lutheran Church, Sussex, Wisconsin is inviting you to attend ďA Service of Prayer and Preaching for Confessional Faithfulness: A Call to Repentance, Supplication, and Intercession for Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor, at 11 a.m., Saturday, February 26, 2022.

A Service of Prayer and Preaching for Confessional Faithfulness

A Call to Repentance, Supplication, and Intercession

for Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor

11:00 a.m. Saturday, February 26, 2022

Every member of the Concordia Community, as well as every member of the Church-at-large is welcome to attend this service. For those unable to attend, the service will be live streamed at:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeaceLutheranChurchAcademySussexWI

Please forward this invitation far and wide for the sake of our Church body and Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor.

Sincerely in Christ,

Rev. Peter C. Bender​

Pastor, Peace Lutheran Church

Director, Concordia Catechetical Academy

President, Peace Lutheran Academy

262-246-3200 ext. 724

www.peacesussex.org

www.lutherancatechesis.org

www.peacelutheranacademy.org

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer service for Concordia University-Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 03:54:47 PM »
Can you give us links to help everyone understand what is going on?

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 04:54:00 PM »
https://www.lutheranphilosopher.com/your-host

Don't know the man but his biography is pretty impressive, I must say.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
I haven't read or seen the article "Woke Dysphoria at CUW" published in a recent Christian News, described in one of the links.  Is there a way to find that article?

The last thing I have on my screen on this issue at my alma mater is a protest by some, most likely, of the same clergy involved in this call to prayer, over the use of the term "diversity" as one of the traits sought in the new President in gathering staff and recruiting student body.  That seemed to me to be way, way over the top as what I guess gets called an "anti-woke" response. 

Here we have arguably one of the most flourishing of the remaining schools in the Concordia system.  What's the health of that system?  What's the status of the Presidential search? 

Dave Benke

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 05:10:37 PM »
https://christiannewsmissouri.com/2022/02/15/woke-dysphoria-at-concordia/

This is the article he wrote that apparently are doing suspension.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis. Preaching and presiding for Episcopalians next Sunday.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 05:13:31 PM »
Here is Concordia's published profile of the president they hope to hire.

https://www.cuw.edu/microsites/president-search/_assets/documents/Candidate_Profile.pdf

"Ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound" is, of course, implied but not stated outright.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 05:20:03 PM »
Another link:

https://steadfastlutherans.org/2022/02/more-from-concordia-wisconsin-not-following-rules-for-due-process/?fbclid=IwAR00Uo1G8w_IdNFKL_TmcODeBDisbrE1i9oPrGuAkrL2UG7QXQpI8OaDRBY

Many are deeply concerned about this suspension.  As a called member of the Synod and a tenured member of one of our universities, it would seem that he was owed more than simply being barred from teaching, and that without an explanation.  The bar is set fairly high for called members of Synod, and based on the standard listing of causes to remove a person from their called position, I fail to see where he went astray warranting such drastic actions.  I would hope that my own congregation would treat me with more respect.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 05:21:14 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts...

1) I don't think it was just this one article that got him into trouble. A copy of Christian News came across my desk today. He had no less than three articles accusing the CUW Regents of giving into woke-ism. Somehow, I doubt this is all that he has said,

2) I find it quite ironic that he charges the CUW Regents as wanting a president who will make the school woke. I looked up the 2019 United List and compared it to the Board of Regents. Four out of the five Regents elected were on the United List. Unfortunately, the UL website doesn't give earlier lists, but I doubt that there are many Regents that were not endorsed by the UL.

Is he really arguing that a group of people promoted by the UL now want to make CUW woke?

And if that is true, then what good is the UL and its endorsements? Shouldn't the people who put that list together bear some of the responsibility?

The UL wants the Synod to be filled with a bunch of liberal wokesters. Who knew?

3) Having said that, I think his suspension is unjust and a violation of academic freedom.

The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 05:25:29 PM »
Reading the links above and pondering why the university would act this way,  only one thought (maybe two) comes to my mind.
One. There is more to the story, things about the professor and his actions that are not yet in evidence.
Maybe two. The university leadership is incredibly inept in personnel matters.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis. Preaching and presiding for Episcopalians next Sunday.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 05:26:00 PM »
3) Having said that, I think his suspension is unjust and a violation of academic freedom.

As described to us so far, the university administration's actions are bizarre.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 05:30:35 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts...

1) I don't think it was just this one article that got him into trouble. A copy of Christian News came across my desk today. He had no less than three articles accusing the CUW Regents of giving into woke-ism. Somehow, I doubt this is all that he has said,

2) I find it quite ironic that he charges the CUW Regents as wanting a president who will make the school woke. I looked up the 2019 United List and compared it to the Board of Regents. Four out of the five Regents elected were on the United List. Unfortunately, the UL website doesn't give earlier lists, but I doubt that there are many Regents that were not endorsed by the UL.

Is he really arguing that a group of people promoted by the UL now want to make CUW woke?

And if that is true, then what good is the UL and its endorsements? Shouldn't the people who put that list together bear some of the responsibility?

The UL wants the Synod to be filled with a bunch of liberal wokesters. Who knew?

There are, if I counted correctly from the CUW website, 16 members of the Board of Regents.  Not counting advisory members.  So maybe those 4 United List members got outvoted?