Author Topic: Orange Is the New . . . Liturgical Color?  (Read 785 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
Re: Orange Is the New . . . Liturgical Color?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 05:41:24 PM »
Years back, closer to 50, I recall some suggestion somewhere (not that great specificity) that for the post Pentecost season one could start with a tender first sprig green and then a regular green followed by a deep green then a brown green and finally before Advent a brown... something like that to illustrate the way the season of growing occurs in nature.  But then blue came along and swept most of us away into the heavens.  And no one got real serious about forcing our Orthodox sisters and brothers into locking Easter into a fixed calendar day like the second Sunday in this particular spring month so why would you want a variable set of Pentecost stoles... unless you owned an eccesiastical supply company. 
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 05:52:34 PM »
Another oddity is that while yellow and gold can lean into each other depending on the medium and I have in my set of paints about four or more different golds-- like antique, royal and other names...  I spent maybe six years working summers for the Sherwin Williams Paint Co. and names are fun things that may or may not have anything truly to do with any color's reality or hue... yellow is the color of Judas, cowards are yellow bellied...  now yellow may be used also to hurl racial overtones like whitey and black....  interesting, should study how something so close to gold, Easter's color (and most do not waste their money or so called stewardship buying a chasuble or cope in a color that is only used once a year...oops I did) came to be contrasted with a Judas' symbol...   I certainly find it interesting that I have read that it is more of a tendency among the Orthodox to follow a rubric of wearing their best no matter the color... or so I have been told. 
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

The Yak

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 06:05:47 PM »
As long as the orange is paired with blue, it would be great. Go Hoos! ;)
Rev. Dr. Scott Yak imow
Professor of Theology
Concordia University - Ann Arbor

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 06:41:55 PM »

Or as we say, "Let's Go Mets!"

Orange and blue are the official colors, as everyone knows, of New York City.  In the finest Evangelical and Catholic tradition, we are colored after William of Orange, the Dutch leader who kicked Roman Catholic posterior. 

I have worn orange and blue under my alb and stole on occasion if we have tickets to a Sunday afternoon game.

Dave Benke

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 09:23:03 AM »
it was suggested, albeit not very seriously, that I acquire a "blaze orange" stole to be used during the most holiest of seasons in my first call in Wisconsin:  Deer season.

The week of Thanksgiving, which was cut short in the schools with a Thursday/Friday vacation, usually saw less than 50% attendance the Monday through Wednesday of deer season.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 09:34:47 AM »
I think a blaze orange stole during deer hunting season would be a good idea. A relevant  color that everyone would understand. Of course the connection with slaughtering cute animals could be problematic.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:44:37 AM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »

WAHOO WA!
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 09:38:13 AM »
I think a blaze orange store during deer hunting season would be a good idea. A relevant  color that everyone would understand. Of course the connection with slaughtering cute animals could be problematic.

Not a hunter, have no interest in hunters, don't care for guns. But the more of those cutely destructive animals they slaughter, the better.  >:(
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 09:45:41 AM »
I think a blaze orange stole during deer hunting season would be a good idea. A relevant  color that everyone would understand. Of course the connection with slaughtering cute animals could be problematic.

I believe the correct term is not "cute", but rather "delicious"!!!
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »

I think a blaze orange store during deer hunting season would be a good idea. A relevant  color that everyone would understand. Of course the connection with slaughtering cute animals could be problematic.

Not a hunter, have no interest in hunters, don't care for guns. But the more of those cutely destructive animals they slaughter, the better.  >:(

Unless we reintroduce more apex predators into our woods and forests, including areas around our suburbs and rural areas, we need to be those predators keeping the Bambi population in check.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 12:03:48 PM »

Unless we reintroduce more apex predators into our woods and forests, including areas around our suburbs and rural areas, we need to be those predators keeping the Bambi population in check.

There are more deer in the Eastern US today than when Columbus sailed.  Now we have small herds living in almost every wooded area included in the middle of town.  One issue we in Western Maryland are facing in the damage they are doing to our old growth forests.  The deer are eating the new tree shoots and that means we're not getting the replacement trees that are needed.  Eventually that will lead to soil erosion, flooding and a lack of forest for recreation for people and habitat for animals.  I don't hunt either, but I hope those who do get their fair share of deer each year.
Trying to be retired but failing

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 12:59:12 PM »
About 15 years ago Iowa had a period where the deer hunting season was 365 days a year. They were losing too much corn.   ;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »
Geese are the same way. When I was little it was a big deal to see a V of geese migrating. If you saw a goose it was worth calling people over to take a look or to tell your friends about at lunch. By the time I was out of college every park and golf course was so thick with geese they became a public nuisance. Deer were similarly rare when I was little. If you saw one, you told people about it. Now they're everywhere and you just hope they don't jump in front of your car.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 03:26:56 PM »
it was suggested, albeit not very seriously, that I acquire a "blaze orange" stole to be used during the most holiest of seasons in my first call in Wisconsin:  Deer season.

The week of Thanksgiving, which was cut short in the schools with a Thursday/Friday vacation, usually saw less than 50% attendance the Monday through Wednesday of deer season.

I like this idea immensely and would recommend that the backing of the stole would be cheddar orange, which should also come in handy in Wisconsin. Just turn it around and it's a whole new celebration!
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.