Author Topic: What Happened to the Christian/Lutheran Cyclopedia?  (Read 1562 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
What Happened to the Christian/Lutheran Cyclopedia?
« on: December 08, 2021, 08:26:36 AM »
I went looking for the Christian Cyclopedia this morning to check on a historical practice. A digital edition was on the synod's website but is now down, which is too bad. It is a great resource.

When I was at CPH, I drew up a three volume plan for updating the entire work with scholar-signed articles. It was to be published as:

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies
Vol. 2, Historical Studies
Vol. 3, Doctrinal Studies

One was to include liturgy/worship, too. (Can't recall whether those articles would go in volume 2 or 3.)

I had lined up about 30 scholars from throughout the Concordias to start on volume 1. It appears that the work was never advanced by the team after me. Does anyone know if there are plans to make the Cyclopedia available again? It is a valuable resource.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: What Happened to the Christian/Lutheran Cyclopedia?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 11:00:17 AM »
I went looking for the Christian Cyclopedia this morning to check on a historical practice. A digital edition was on the synod's website but is now down, which is too bad. It is a great resource.

When I was at CPH, I drew up a three volume plan for updating the entire work with scholar-signed articles. It was to be published as:

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies

One was to include liturgy/worship, too. (Can't recall whether those articles would go in volume 2 or 3.)

I had lined up about 30 scholars from throughout the Concordias to start on volume 1. It appears that the work was never advanced by the team after me. Does anyone know if there are plans to make the Cyclopedia available again? It is a valuable resource.

A good project for the American Lutheran Publicity Bureau.  Trusted products for a trusting market, expandable to a global audience.

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »
Great idea, Bishop Benke.
Would it still work if all the professors weren’t from the Concordias?
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

DeHall1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies

I got a "bad gateway" error when attempting to access the Cyclopedia.lcms.org website....This is typically due to a server issue.  I used the help function on LCMS.ORG to ask if the site was down temporarily or if it had been taken down altogether.   Once I get a response, I'll post an update.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 11:32:53 AM by DeHall1 »

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »
Quote from: Rev. Edward Engelbrecht =topic=8040.msg511758#msg511758 date=1638969996

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies

I got a "bad gateway" error when attempting to access the Cyclopedia.lcms.org website....This is typically a due to a server issue.  I used the help function on LCMS.ORG to ask if the site was down temporarily or if it had been taken down altogether.   Once I get a response, I'll post an update.

Thanks for your technical expertise.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies

A good project for the American Lutheran Publicity Bureau.  Trusted products for a trusting market, expandable to a global audience.

Dave Benke

I believe the text is owned by the LCMS or CPH. I don't think it is likely they would give ALPB permission to update it. There was also a Lutheran Encyclopedia published. To my knowledge no one has updated that either. Not sure who owns the rights.

There are many fine Christian encyclopedic works out there but having something tradition-specific is very valuable, answering questions and providing insights that others will not include. For example, the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church is a great desk resource. (This was the quality I was aiming for in the planned project.) However, ODCC is very much aimed at Anglican concerns and therefore less helpful to a Lutheran, which is why I had planned the project for CPH. People who want to understand the Lutheran tradition would really value such a resource.

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies

Dave Benke

I believe the text is owned by the LCMS or CPH. I don't think it is likely they would give ALPB permission to update it. There was also a Lutheran Encyclopedia published. To my knowledge no one has updated that either. Not sure who owns the rights.

There are many fine Christian encyclopedic works out there but having something tradition-specific is very valuable, answering questions and providing insights that others will not include. For example, the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church is a great desk resource. (This was the quality I was aiming for in the planned project.) However, ODCC is very much aimed at Anglican concerns and therefore less helpful to a Lutheran, which is why I had planned the project for CPH. People who want to understand the Lutheran tradition would really value such a resource.

CPH owns the copyright to the Christian Cyclopedia (formerly the Lutheran Cyclopedia).

The other major work is the three-volume Encyclopedia of the Lutheran Church (Augsburg, 1965). That has been out of print for years. I wonder if Fortress would be willing to let ALPB update it.

Then there is the Dictionary of Luther and the Lutheran Traditions (Baker, 2017). It's an interesting resource, but not as in-depth as the Encyclopedia of the Lutheran Church.

I'm truly sad that your project never saw fruition, Ed. Sounds like a winner.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »

Vol. 1, Biblical Studies

Dave Benke

CPH owns the copyright to the Christian Cyclopedia (formerly the Lutheran Cyclopedia).

The other major work is the three-volume Encyclopedia of the Lutheran Church (Augsburg, 1965). That has been out of print for years. I wonder if Fortress would be willing to let ALPB update it.

Then there is the Dictionary of Luther and the Lutheran Traditions (Baker, 2017). It's an interesting resource, but not as in-depth as the Encyclopedia of the Lutheran Church.

I'm truly sad that your project never saw fruition, Ed. Sounds like a winner.

What mystifies me is why they didn't just turn the project over to another editor. We had just finished a similar project with good success: Lutheran Bible Companion, 2 Vols. They might have worked with one of the associate editors for TLSB, which would have slowed the project down but would have let it come forward.

I should probably add, J., That I never thought of the projects as my projects. I always did them for the good of the church. In fact, the first book I published for CPH did not have my name on it---intentionally. I left it off intending that it should be for God's glory and not for my own. After it came out and was widely received, I was chastened by a seminary professor for "not taking responsibility for my work." From there forward I put my name on what I published so that I and not others might bear the responsibility. All that name recognition I received might have been avoided. I was always the workhorse and never the show pony.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:20:47 PM by Rev. Edward Engelbrecht »

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
I don't think anyone has the rights to the word/concept of Cyclopedia or Encyclopedia.  It would have a different beginning, or else a replacement for the word "Cyclopedia" with another word.   The resource I used for years was the Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (IDB).  Very useful. 

ALPB would not be limited denominationally if it put together a compendium resource.  We had the incredible two-person team of Schumacher and Zelenko taking care of For All The Saints.  Bigger team = bigger job, but certainly not impossible. 

Dave Benke

DeHall1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »
The http://cyclopedia.lcms.org/ website is back online.   Looks like it was a server issue that the LCMS.org "Web team" (their words, not mine) resolved.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 04:51:15 PM »
From the ALPB perspective, the question to Ed is whether you'd be open to working on a project using authors not exclusively LCMS or WELS/ELS. 

Dave Benke

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 09:07:31 PM »
From the ALPB perspective, the question to Ed is whether you'd be open to working on a project using authors not exclusively LCMS or WELS/ELS. 

Dave Benke

If you look at TLSB closely, you'll notice that for that prominent project I worked beyond the borders of LCMS and ELS/WELS.

Honestly, I was not fishing for a project when I created this thread. A parishioner asked me about Lutheran views of the rosary and I went searching for the Christian/Lutheran Cyclopedia, which is when I found the page to it blank. That sent me down memory lane and wondering what happened to those well-begun and approved projects I had developed. Another one was an updated edition of Fahling's Life of Christ, a wonderful project that anyone might have completed. It was almost done but it was never published. I can't understand why. There was no reason my name had to be associated with it and no reason someone else couldn't finish it. It seems like a loss to the church for such a good publication not to come forward.

I'm glad to see the Christian Cyclopedia is still available digitally. An updated edition would be greater still.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 09:49:06 PM »

I have all three of these works in my library (I actually wrote a handful of the entries for the last one, maybe ten or twelve of them). Each has pros and cons, largely related to what their intent and purpose was. The good thing about Dictionary is that it has articles on lots of people and events of the past fifty years, which obviously the others don't have because they predate them. I've found the 3-volume work to be the most useful overall, but dated.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 11:07:53 PM »

I have all three of these works in my library (I actually wrote a handful of the entries for the last one, maybe ten or twelve of them). Each has pros and cons, largely related to what their intent and purpose was. The good thing about Dictionary is that it has articles on lots of people and events of the past fifty years, which obviously the others don't have because they predate them. I've found the 3-volume work to be the most useful overall, but dated.

The Baker volume looks like a great resource.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
So, on to the matter that launched the thread: use of the rosary. Resources at hand do not directly address this question, whether Lutherans made use of rosaries during and after the Reformation.

Melanchthon attributes the Marian misuse of the rosary to the Dominicans (Apology XXVII 53). The Confessions do not forbid it's use for devotion. Luther opposed it's use for attaining good works as righteousness but I cannot find him expressly forbidding it as a aid to prayer. According to Brecht, Luther used the rosary as a two kingdoms symbol for the church in contrast to the sword (vol. 2:187; mid 1520s). Duke Albert of Prussia sent Luther an amber rosary as a gift, though Brecht does not tell whether Luther used it for prayers (vol. 3:232). Does anyone have further information?