Archived Boards > ELCA Churchwide Assembly 2007

So now that it's over...

<< < (2/11) > >>

Vern:
Pastor Wolf,

On August 23rd at 7:00 pm I wil be at the St Paul area meeting of WordAlone at Roseville Lutheran Church.

Vern

Vern:
I have a request. As I noted to Erma Wolf I am going to a WordAlone meeting on the 23rd, Could some of you please help me with some questions to ask about the convention and the future of the ELCA?

Thank You,

Vern

GoCubsGo!:
I think we need to consider an alternative to the ELCA and the LC-MS that would serve well those congregations and pastors who are not willing to abide a church that blesses same sex unions (or marriages-which isn't far behind this step) or that ordains openly gay persons living in same sex relationships.

I said this earlier but I'll say it here.  What we need is an existing entity of the ELCA, perhaps a synod, to take the lead in forming a new body.   This new body would begin to be formed under the thought that it may not be needed--perhaps the ELCA will turn back--but would begin forming in order to give those who would be disaffected by a change in policy a place to go.

No offense to Word Alone or Lutheran CORE but this body, to my mind, would need to be Evangelical Catholic in character.  But alas I am dreaming again--Cubs fans just can't help it.

Pr. Jerry:

--- Quote from: Pr. Jerry on August 12, 2007, 10:13:51 AM ---So now that it's over...
What stories will we take out of this CWA (ya' know...  Those memorable moments that made you laugh, cry, shout aloud in frustration)?  :o

--- End quote ---

It's probably bad form to quote from one's own post, but...

The two defining images of the assembly for me have to be:
1) The caucasian woman pastor from Minneapolis who proceded to lecture the assembly on "African-American" images of the Holy Spirit, namely a rabbit (?), and her proclamation that she didn't want to lock it in a cage... (And the accompanying Elmer Fudd allusions that "popped their head up" on this forum...)

2) Retiring Bishop Landahl throwing a temper tantrum on the assembly floor, accusing the CWA of ignoring his synod, and begging for "something to work with."  In my humble oppinion, any CWA that can make him that frustrated cannot be "all" bad...

I think between those two images, you have a good representation of where the ELCA is and how much work we've got to do...  Not to mention the fact that they give us endless chuckles...

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

StevenW:

--- Quote from: GoCubsGo! on August 12, 2007, 03:01:49 PM ---I said this earlier but I'll say it here.  What we need is an existing entity of the ELCA, perhaps a synod, to take the lead in forming a new body.
--- End quote ---

Just a general question.
How is a non-geographic Synod organized?  I'm thinking of rules and procedures according to the ELCA constitution and polices.  IMHO, I can't see why a non-georgraphic Synod couldn't be formed (I'm sure there might be some rules saying NO).  Afterall, we have Slovak Zion (formed at the merger at the request of the US State Department to keep contacts with fellow Lutherans in the former Eastern bloc, according to a colleague).  The LCMS has the English District.

--- Quote from: GoCubsGo! on August 12, 2007, 03:01:49 PM ---No offense to Word Alone or Lutheran CORE but this body, to my mind, would need to be Evangelical Catholic in character.  But alas I am dreaming again--Cubs fans just can't help it.

--- End quote ---
I agree.  While I don't agree with STS (personal, selfish reasons) I would "sign on" to this idea.

Hey, I'm in NE Ohio where Cleveland doesn't have much luck with sports.  Just enough to get excited about playoffs and finals and BAM.  All over.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version