Archived Boards > ELCA Churchwide Assembly 2007

So now that it's over...

(1/11) > >>

Pr. Jerry:
So now that it's over...

What are the lessons that we can glean or learn from the CWA?  ???
What is the direction of the denomination?   :D  >:(  :(  :'(
What stories will we take out of this CWA (ya' know...  Those memorable moments that made you laugh, cry, shout aloud in frustration)?  :o
What the heck will we do with the actions that the CWA passed?  ;D

That's it...  I'm verklempt...  Talkst amongst yourselves... :)

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Brian Stoffregen:
I note that of 22 votes listed on the ELCA site; 15 were received more than 90% approval. Two of the seven that didn't were the elections of the Presiding Bishop and the Secretary. We are a church that is united about many things.

Erma_S._Wolf:
Jerry, here is what I will be doing.  I want to invite you and others to this event:

Lutheran CORE (Coalition for Reform)  National Gathering!

Friday, September 28, 2007 from 10 am to 4 pm

"'This Church' and God's Church"

St. Mark Lutheran Church  in Lindenhurst, Illinois

This gathering is to review the events at the 2007 Churchwide Assembly and plan ahead for 2008 and 2009.  The speakers will be Dr. Robert Benne of Roanoke College, Dr. James Nestingen, professor emeritus of Luther Seminary, and Pastor Paull Spring.

But there will be more than speakers.  This is not a pity-party!  The afternoon will be spent in practical workshops for all who are in the ELCA and share concern for the future of this denomination.  There is much to do and time is of the essence.  There is hopeful news out of this year's assembly, despite the reaction to the passage of Bishop Landahl's substitute motion.  

If you are getting ready to leave the ELCA, send us your prayers.  But if you are ready to get down to business, you need to start making arrangements to attend.  St. Mark's holds 450 people in the sanctuary, and is on the north side of metro Chicago.  There is a $10 registration fee (for cost of lunch) and registration should be sent to the Lutheran CORE, c/o Word Alone Network, 2299 Palmer Drive, Suite 220, New Brighton, MN 55112, with checks payable to WordAlone Network.  For questions contact prsteveshipman@gmail.com  (please do not call the host church).

I was at the assembly.  There were more than 400 people there who voted against "restraint and/or refrain from discipline."  I will not break faith with them.

As they say down South,  "Ya'll come!"

Erma Wolf
Lutheran CORE steering committee vice chair

Bergs:

--- Quote from: Erma_S._Wolf on August 12, 2007, 10:44:58 AM ---Jerry, here is what I will be doing.  I want to invite you and others to this event:

I was at the assembly.  There were more than 400 people there who voted against "restraint and/or refrain from discipline."  I will not break faith with them.

As they say down South,  "Ya'll come!"

Erma Wolf
Lutheran CORE steering committee vice chair

--- End quote ---

Rev. Wolf:
Thank you for all that you are doing.  Keep us informed.  I would love to come but it's not in the cards at this time.  Maybe there will be a few vans going from the Minnesota area, do some car-pooling.   I will pray for this meeting as I have prayed for the CWA.  I will ask others to keep you in their prayers.

Christ have mercy
Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN

James_W_Diamond:
We are already hearing and we will hear more requests that we engage in "listening" or "holy conversions".  Quite aside from the fact these phrases are offensive in themselves to us (like calling an adult woman a girl), we need to be frank with ourselves on what "listening" means to the pro gay group: Barking at the bigoted dumb bunnies until we give in, give up or go away.  In many cases Christians who believe the faith as classically proclaimed may nonetheless need to participate because it may help keep a parish or synod from changing to nontraditional beliefs, may be a witness to undecided people or may be required for reasons of personal conscience (e.g. If I don't speak, I can not complain if I am not heard.)  Others, e.g someone in a liberal parish in a 5 to 1 liberal synod with a bishop like Bp Payne, may not bother because it is a waste of time (unless you suffer from low blood pressure).

The last round of listening in the ELCA on sexuality was led by none other than my own bishop, Margaret Payne, who was obviously not picked by Bishop Hanson et al as an impartial leader but rather to ensure that the gay advocates controlled the process which they did.  Even so the church at large said no, so instead of respecting the verdict, they are holding another round of listening to bark at us bigoted dumb bunnies until we give in, give up or go away.  Either way there should be no illusions about what listening is in the ELCA.

The problem with the pro-gay group from my viewpoint is NOT sexuality. Rather it is their positions on the source and nature of authority in the church.  I was taught and confess that the overriding source of authority in the church is the scriptures which are assisted by tradition in every case where tradition does not contradict scripture.  I was taught and confess that no church leader or church council has the authority to overrule the scriptures or the received traditions of the church which support and amplify the Bible.  If neither the Pope nor an ecumenical council like Ephesus or Nicea has the authority to change scriptural doctrines and practices, obviously the idea the CWA does have this authority is ludicrous. The presiding bishop's comment at the Rocky Mountain Synod reported in our Forum newsletter a year or so ago that he was not going to let the policies of the ELCA be determined by seven passages of scripture scandalized me: If that is  sola scriptura, I am a large standard poodle.

So now the question is where do we go?  Can the ELCA be kept as an orthodox Lutheran church with doctrine based on sola scriptura and enforced?  If it can be saved, we have duty to try.  Otherwise the question is where do we go and how do we get there?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version