Author Topic: Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization  (Read 5183 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2021, 10:28:04 PM »
Pastor Fienen:
Newsroom's absurd idea isn't going anywhere.

I comment:
Of course it isnít, and he knows that. Floating the idea is to underscore the danger of whatís going on with the Texas law and the judicial response. Our system of courts and constitution is in danger and even under attack.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns couldíve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »
Uh Charles, I said nothing about the news room of any media outlet, although I can agree that sometimes they come up with absurd ideas.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2021, 11:08:06 PM »
Pastor Fienen:
Newsroom's absurd idea isn't going anywhere.

I comment:
Of course it isnít, and he knows that. Floating the idea is to underscore the danger of whatís going on with the Texas law and the judicial response. Our system of courts and constitution is in danger and even under attack.

If you won't use the quote function, please work harder at getting the quoted text right and attributing it to the correct person.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2021, 04:34:05 AM »
My apologies.
So long as the annoying "quote" function delivers the entire post, along with that long nest of purple boxes, which are hard to read and which separate the name of the person quoted from the quote, I choose not to use it.
I'm not the only one who messes up quotes or makes typographical errors ("newsroom" for Newsom, for example); but it seems that my typos are the only ones which bother people.
As for "tired," Pastor Kirchner (did I get that right?), you have no idea of whether I am tired or coping with the various ailments and infirmities of age. But 95 percent of the time I am as alert and perky as a young bunny in a cabbage patch.
P.S. One of the infirmities of age would be gone by now, were it not for the unvaccinated people overcrowding our state's hospitals. Instead, I - and others with more serious conditions - must wait 2-3 months for our treatments and surgeries or risk undergoing the procedures in less than optimum conditions. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 04:36:17 AM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns couldíve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2021, 08:19:59 AM »
I am inclined to do a "Woo Hoo!," were I the sort of person who did that. But instead a tongue in cheek reflection.
The governor of California is taking the Texas anti-abortion law as a suggestion on how he can enact heavy-duty gun control measures in his state.
Like it, I do; though the foundation is more that a little worrisome. Because it goes like this.
   The Supreme Court has seen a constitutional reason for a woman's right to have an abortion and has so ruled. It is a ruling on the Constitution.
   Texas says "not in our state," and has made possible a vigilante-style posse to bring the force of Texas law (not the U.S. Constitution, which the law opposes) on anyone helping the woman seeking an abortion.
   So I ask gun-lover Second Amendment folks, especially the "pro-life" ones....
   If Texas can say the right-to-an-abortion part of the constitution as ruled by the Supreme Court doesn't apply down there along the Rio Grande, why couldn't California or Connecticut say the right-to-own-guns doesn't apply in those states and let people turn in gun-owners? And if you are quaffing coffee with a neighbor and spot a gun rack in his basement, call the law and you get a big reward.

The vast, vast majority of people who care about gun rights fled California long ago.  The rest are dribbling out bit by bit.  As far as I care, California can do what it wishes regarding guns.  The Second Amendment is still a defense to any attempted prosecution, as remains the case in Texas regarding abortion (you don't really think "our system of courts and constitution is in danger and even under attack" do you?).  We get the government we deserve.  Californians richly deserve a state where your neighbor can sue you for owning what they think is an improper firearm.  They voted for the idiots who would pass such a law in the first place.

I'm sure you think the same of Texas, and honestly, that's what makes America a great country.  You can stay up in the frozen north hiding under the covers because of the unmasked and people who own guns that sit harmlessly in their closets harming no one, pining for a nanny state that will make other people wear masks, and the rest of us can stay down here in God's country, free to chuckle at your hyperventilating and taking steps to stop the actual killing of children.  Win-win.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »
My apologies.
So long as the annoying "quote" function delivers the entire post, along with that long nest of purple boxes, which are hard to read and which separate the name of the person quoted from the quote, I choose not to use it.
I'm not the only one who messes up quotes or makes typographical errors ("newsroom" for Newsom, for example); but it seems that my typos are the only ones which bother people.
As for "tired," Pastor Kirchner (did I get that right?), you have no idea of whether I am tired or coping with the various ailments and infirmities of age. But 95 percent of the time I am as alert and perky as a young bunny in a cabbage patch.
P.S. One of the infirmities of age would be gone by now, were it not for the unvaccinated people overcrowding our state's hospitals. Instead, I - and others with more serious conditions - must wait 2-3 months for our treatments and surgeries or risk undergoing the procedures in less than optimum conditions.

You can delete any part of the quotes that you like. They are marked with square brackets with "quote" in the brackets for turning on the quote function and "/quote" at the end for turning it off. (Those can even be typed in manually as I will do below this post.)

quoted stuff

I do my posting at my computer, there might be differences if using a tablet or phone.

There's also an icon at the right end of the icons for "toggle view" that shows all the codes in the post.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:08:18 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »
My apologies.

You can delete any part of the quotes that you like. They are marked with square brackets with "quote" in the brackets for turning on the quote function and "/quote" at the end for turning it off. (Those can even be typed in manually as I will do below this post.)

quoted stuff

I do my posting at my computer, there might be differences if using a tablet or phone.

There's also an icon at the right end of the icons for "toggle view" that shows all the codes in the post.
Thank you, Brian. This is one reason that while I often read the Forum on my tablet, I typically wait and post on a PC.

One gripe that I have is that often simplemachines forum and Microsoft Edge do not play well together.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
Note how this post quotes you twice without the "entire post, along with that long nest of purple boxes, which are hard to read and which separate the name of the person quoted from the quote".  It's easy to do correctly and makes it easier to understand who said what.

True, but the quote function makes it easier to get it right.  No one else expresses dislike for the quote function to the extent you do.  Have you considered that this may not be a problem with the quote function?

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »
Note how this post quotes you twice without the "entire post, along with that long nest of purple boxes, which are hard to read and which separate the name of the person quoted from the quote".  It's easy to do correctly and makes it easier to understand who said what.

True, but the quote function makes it easier to get it right.  No one else expresses dislike for the quote function to the extent you do.  Have you considered that this may not be a problem with the quote function?

The same could be said for "anonymous" posters (scare quotes because most of them were never anonymous to begin with and Pastor Austin is always the one making mountains of molehills on that issue too).
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2021, 04:51:24 PM »
One gripe that I have is that often simplemachines forum and Microsoft Edge do not play well together.

I switched to Microsoft Edge about a year ago and have had no problems.  What sort of problems do you have?