Author Topic: Christian response to Rittenhouse trial  (Read 9032 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Christian response to Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »
The Ex and his minions are a bigger threat to our society there any Black Lives Matter protest. They are a bigger threat than a white supremacist rally, although their activities seem to encourage the white supremacists. They are certainly a bigger threat to our society than the expansion of gay marriage or the critical race theory being taught in public schools.
I am surprised to see myself write this, but it looks like the sanest head in the Republican party today is Chris Christie. His book is about the Republicans without The Ex. And, but he doesn’t say so, maybe with him. We could do worse, and we already have.
::)

You are a moderator.  You have warned him how many times about injecting his anti-Trump dementia into every thread?  So, why is it only an eye-roll?

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2021, 02:46:06 PM »
Within seconds of the verdict, far-right chat forums erupted in jubilation, with prominent extremists praising the defense attorneys and jury.
     Since the shootings, a broad cross-section of extremist factions have cheered on Rittenhouse, tying his case to their own racial and political grievances. “NOT (expletive) GUILTY!!!” the Proud Boys celebrated in their public Telegram channel.
     Dozens of others posted congratulations, along with memes showing Rittenhouse as a hero. In one, a play on a Leonardo DiCaprio meme, Rittenhouse was depicted in a tuxedo, toasting with a champagne glass.
     “Kyle Rittenhouse is the most prudent young man I’ve ever seen in controversy,” Ali Alexander, one of the organizers of the Jan. 6 “Stop the Steal” rallies of Trump supporters, wrote on Telegram. “He has God’s favor and has been delivered from the gallows,” Alexander added.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/11/19/rittenhouse-verdict-live-updates/#link-EIGAFB2HQBAETBQ3QVZDAOWBXU

Something here for everyone.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2021, 02:56:12 PM »
They're organized. The guy who was just ranting  a few minutes ago was walking around an hour ago, just gauging the crowd, not saying a word. They take their turn, rant for about 5-10 minutes, and the language gets more vulgar and even suggestively violent, ratcheting things up.

Now the chants and the megaphone as things escalate.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6282812045001#sp=show-clips

Lord, have mercy on the City of Kenosha (and maybe elsewhere) tonight.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:05:12 PM by Donald_Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2021, 03:14:52 PM »
Acquittal.
Norman Teigen

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2021, 03:50:56 PM »
Hey John, we don't have to imagine.  The left did exactly this during the Kavanaugh confirmations.  Chasing Jeff Flake and other GOP senators all over the Capitol. Rushing the Supreme Court building itself (see photo).  Serious business.  Number of insurrectionists charged for disrupting the legal procedure of a Court appointee? Zero.  Number who spent even a day in jail? Zero.

If you are from Wisconsin you can also remember the left during Scott Walker's tenure taking over the WI Capitol and disrupting its sacred proceedings.

If you are on the right, you can do this all day.  This is what the left does.  And nobody ever goes to jail.  I'll actually believe words like legitimate proceedings when the left holds their rent-a-mobs to the same standards.  Until then it's just the exercise of power.  Who/Whom is the only question.

David, I agree that these are examples of wrongfully protesting. There is a difference in degree as concerns Jun. 6.

o  The target was a direct constitutional procedure for formally electing the President of the United States
o  The enormous size the crowd of rioters (it seems improbable that there was not outside funding for travel)
o  The command and control coordination evident in the attack to different locations in the capital
o  The allegation (only an allegation so far) that there was a plan developed to overturn the known results of the Electoral College, which VP Pence rejected

It is a matter of judgement whether Jan.6 was a much more serious offense than other protests. Your judgement is that it was not. Mine is different.

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:01:42 PM by Richard Johnson »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2021, 04:56:36 PM »
To their credit, most political leaders at every level, even those disappointed by the verdict, have called for people to respect the jury's verdict. No declarations that I'm aware of that this was an injustice, at least from anyone in actual authority anywhere. President Biden's initial statement was good, but he went on say he was angry and concerned at the verdict, which was unhelpful and makes it seem like he thinks the jury got it wrong. But that might have been politically necessary; the main thrust was a call to respect the verdict and express dissatisfaction with it peacefully. 

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2021, 05:57:32 PM »
I spoke too soon. People of every political persuasion can be embarrassed to be countrymen with Bill DeBlasio and Gavin Newsome, two high profile politicians who reacted publicly to the verdict with breathtaking ignorance and vitriol.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2021, 06:01:01 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Heminator/status/1461525763765813248

Not a stunner. Just part of the "narrative matters more than the facts" problem.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:49:12 PM by peter_speckhard »

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »
Thinking in church and state terms, the state has delivered a verdict. What is the responsibility of the church in this situation?
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »
It was not necessary for President Biden to give his opinion on the jury's verdict.
Our nation does not need to make this trial a political issue with Presidential anger.

In 1995, President Bill Clinton did not speak publicly about the non-guilty verdict
of the jury at the O. J. Simpson trial.  He was wise to not criticize their decision.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:27:23 PM by Dave Likeness »

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2021, 06:27:26 PM »
Indeed.

Biden calls for calm and then says that the verdict leaves him angry and concerned, virtually negating the call for calm and justifying those who would misuse their anger. He refused to respond to whether he stands by his labeling Rittenhouse a white supremacist.

He wants to unite? Yeah, right!  ::)

DeBlasio: "Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum are victims. They should be alive today.

The only reason they’re not is because a violent, dangerous man chose to take a gun across state lines and start shooting people.

To call this a miscarriage of justice is an understatement."

Yup, politicians who don't know what they're talking about, dissing our criminal justice system,  and needlessly inflaming the situation.
Don Kirchner

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2021, 06:40:32 PM »
Indeed.

Biden calls for calm and then says that the verdict leaves him angry and concerned, virtually negating the call for calm and justifying those who would misuse their anger. He refused to respond to whether he stands by his labeling Rittenhouse a white supremacist.

He wants to unite? Yeah, right!  ::)

DeBlasio: "Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum are victims. They should be alive today.

The only reason they’re not is because a violent, dangerous man chose to take a gun across state lines and start shooting people.

To call this a miscarriage of justice is an understatement."

Yup, politicians who don't know what they're talking about, dissing our criminal justice system,  and needlessly inflaming the situation.

The bolded text is Bill de Blasio showing that he has not been paying attention to the actual testimony.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Christian response to Rittenhouse
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
I wonder if anybody connected to this case is having any second thoughts about guns, the availability of guns, the type of guns, how easy it is to get them, and situations where people think they need to have them.
Probably not.
Retired ELCA Pastor. You can say liberal Christians are wrong. You can say that you disagree with our interpretation of faith. But when you say we are driven by “culture” or “trendiness,” you prove that you do not listen to us. Luther fared better with Rome.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2021, 07:06:44 PM »
I wonder if anybody connected to this case is having any second thoughts about guns, the availability of guns, the type of guns, how easy it is to get them, and situations where people think they need to have them.
Probably not.

No.
Don Kirchner

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
Probably not.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11/rittenhouse-jury-verdict-self-defense-legal-analysis.html
Did you read this article I posted on the other self defense trial thread? I raised several question for discussion based on the article’s point that many confrontations leave both sides feeling threatened, making for a Wild West situation in which the quicker draw prevails. I think the solution has to do with clarifying laws, not getting rid of guns. After all, making sure only some people have guns leaves the problem in place. And getting rid of guns altogether is neither realistic nor constitutional.