Author Topic: Listing Concerns about Those Other Lutherans  (Read 4756 times)

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Listing Concerns about Those Other Lutherans
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »
I've argued that one's knowledge of Christ as necessary for salvation may not be necessary. That is, folks may be saved by Christ without knowing that Christ has saved them.

Less than a week after the Reformation pericope. <sigh>   :o

Yup, the emphasis is on God's grace, not our knowledge of it.

Actually, the emphasis was on salvation through faith.

The gifts in baptism are given and received through faith. Faith receives the gifts. This is true with infants who have faith and who believe.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
I've argued that one's knowledge of Christ as necessary for salvation may not be necessary. That is, folks may be saved by Christ without knowing that Christ has saved them.

The gifts in baptism are given and received through faith. Faith receives the gifts. This is true with infants who have faith and who believe.

My statement was about "knowledge," not faith. Certainly infants have faith; or, perhaps, better stated, trust. In an odd way, they don't have the power to refuse to trust the care and love that parents/guardians give them. They didn't have the power to refuse to be born.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2021, 03:47:09 PM »

My statement was about "knowledge," not faith. Certainly infants have faith; or, perhaps, better stated, trust. In an odd way, they don't have the power to refuse to trust the care and love that parents/guardians give them. They didn't have the power to refuse to be born.

No, your statement was a dodge on the emphasis of Reformation Day, thereby promoting your universalism and irresistible grace beliefs.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs