Author Topic: Heteroromantic  (Read 4342 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Heteroromantic
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2021, 08:04:10 PM »
You make a good point, but in talking about heterosexual sins, should we not also talk homosexual sins?

Well, if there are no homosexuals in the congregation; why would you need to talk about homosexual sins?

Must all types of sins be discussed whenever any type of sin is discussed. Much has been discussed here about the sin of racism. But rarely if ever when the sin of racism has been discussed did we also in the same discussion include a discussion of sexual sins, property sins, greed, slander, false testimony, and the whole myriad other sins that people commit.  Why must anytime homosexual sins be discussed we must also in that discussion discuss other sins?

If there are no homosexuals in the congregation, why bring up sins related to homosexual behaviors. Or, do you just comment about specific sins that don't really apply to the people in the pews. (Granted, it's much safer to talk about the sins of those other people.)

I don't doubt it. The Watherian distinction between Law and Gospel is an important part of LCMS theology. Walther in general I have observed you and Charles dismiss as unimportant and unworthy of consideration. Anyway way that our churches differ. Another reason that we have trouble discussing theology. We approach theology differently and you tend to simply dismiss what is important to us as frivolous. As usual, you two want to set the basis and terms of discussion and rule out anything that does not fit with your thinking.

Granted. We have different approaches to scriptures, to the Confessions, to ecumenism, to ordination, etc. Another difference is that I will talk about such things as "differences," rather than stating, "we're right and you're wrong."
Actually, I can't remember the last time I preached about homosexuality.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
Peter writes, somewhat off topic but he is the moderator:
When you give the gift of the last word, you don’t announce it. Announcing the gift is itself a refusal to give the gift. And you have never, ever let anyone else have the last word. You threaten to leave, you say you’re done here, etc. etc. but you never just ignore a thread or let something stand without comment from you. You can’t even have no comment without posting, “No comment.”
I say:
Drives you nuts, doesn’t it?

No, Charles, it doesn't. You simply pride yourself at being the proverbial pain in the tuchus, whining to Dick whenever you demand that threads be closed down, want a post(s) deleted because you think you were treated without the respect you think you deserve,  demean those with whom you disagree, and continually call people stupid. And Dick appears to accommodate you.

It is what it is.

Actually, the percentage of posts deleted or threads closed because of a complaint from Charles is fairly small.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »
Then why did you close down the Glenn Beck thread? And why did you leave Mr Martim's rude diss on Trump and Pompeo, calling them liars on the shut-down Afghanistan thread, and, OTOH, remove my entire chain of comments a while ago because I called my governor "Comrade Walz" for valid reasons in my opinion, to Austin's and Teigen's outrage?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 03:12:37 PM by Donald_Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »
https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/09/23/the-aclu-morphs-into-the-ministry-of-truth/

Came across this article online. It highlights an ACLU tweet in support of abortion rights with a quote from Ruth Bader Ginsburg. But they removed the word "women" and all gendered pronouns in order to make RBG's words less transphobic. It was wrong of RBG to imply that only women get pregnant.

The ACLU is officially in the Monty Python sketch giving men the right to have babies. The only issue left is whether that is symbolic of their struggle with the Romans or with reality. 

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2021, 04:29:32 PM »
Oh, come on! The ACLU did not change the justice’s words, because they clearly put the alternate words in brackets.
“Spiked” goes goofy and nutty in phony outrage.
Now, we know that concerning pronouns, your knickers are so twisted they could lash Odysseus to the mast, but you need to let an independent media use its own dumbass language (the way some of your people have a media where the ELCA is E*CA, and Lutherans Immigration and Refugee Services is “LIARS”).
The “meaning” has nothing to do with who can have babies.
Personally, I’m not keen on messing with pronouns. (But then, there was a time when I thought “thee” and “thine” when addressing God.)
And don’t you already have enough reasons to dislike the ACLU?
Retired ELCA Pastor: We are not a very inter-Lutheran forum. Posters with more than 1,500 posts: ELCA-6, with 3 of those inactive/rare and 1 moderator; LCMS-25, with 4 inactive/rare and 1 moderator. Non-Lutherans, 3; maybe 4 from other Lutheran bodies. 3 formerly frequent posters have gone quiet.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
Oh, come on! The ACLU did not change the justice’s words, because they clearly put the alternate words in brackets.
“Spiked” goes goofy and nutty in phony outrage.
Now, we know that concerning pronouns, your knickers are so twisted they could lash Odysseus to the mast, but you need to let an independent media use its own dumbass language (the way some of your people have a media where the ELCA is E*CA, and Lutherans Immigration and Refugee Services is “LIARS”).
The “meaning” has nothing to do with who can have babies.
Personally, I’m not keen on messing with pronouns. (But then, there was a time when I thought “thee” and “thine” when addressing God.)
And don’t you already have enough reasons to dislike the ACLU?
So you agree that messing with pronouns is dumb. Good. A flicker of intellectual life. Now, if you ever become capable of discernment, you’ll discover that what I am bothered by is the expectation that I designate my pronouns. This isn’t an instance of that. It is an instance, as we agree, of sheer stupidity. But it matters because it is simply designed to create familiarity. You say, “O come on…” now because it is just stupid. Next year you’ll say “O come on…” to any objection because it is a perfectly normal way of speaking. Then you’ll get irate with anyone who refuses to use “standard” language.

You bothered to respond. With an exclamation point even. It mattered enough to you to do that. I just linked to an article and made a fairly straightforward joke about it. You think major institutions editing famous quotes to account for the new “fact” that men can get pregnant is not worth commenting on. So don’t comment on it.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2021, 05:21:02 PM »
It’s always nice, Peter, to have your instructions on when I may or may not comment.
I wonder who’s giving you instructions.
Peter:
You think major institutions editing famous quotes to account for the new “fact” that men can get pregnant is not worth commenting on. So don’t comment on it.
Me:
I wasn’t commenting on what the ACLU said. I was commenting on your (looking for an adjective here) response.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:25:59 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor: We are not a very inter-Lutheran forum. Posters with more than 1,500 posts: ELCA-6, with 3 of those inactive/rare and 1 moderator; LCMS-25, with 4 inactive/rare and 1 moderator. Non-Lutherans, 3; maybe 4 from other Lutheran bodies. 3 formerly frequent posters have gone quiet.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »
It’s always nice, Peter, to have your instructions on when I may or may not comment.
I wonder who’s giving you instructions.
I never said anything about when you may comment. You blathered falsely and irrelevantly about my knickers being in a twist, and I simply pointed out what pathetic projection of your problems that amounted to.

I linked to an article which pointed out that the ACLU altered its quote of RBG to reflect the possibility that men can be pregnant, and I made a joke about it. It goes with the thread topic of normalizing the perverse. Most people read it and maybe rolled their eyes or chuckled or thought nothing of it. You couldn’t help yourself. Even in agreeing that the pronoun thing is stupid you had to make an ass of yourself by posting something stupid rather than just not responding or saying something innocuous like, “Yeah, that tweet is a little over the top.”

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2021, 05:58:48 PM »
Peter, you really need to get a life that doesn’t require you to psychoanalyze me. I’m not that important. But you keep at it.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »
Peter, you really need to get a life that doesn’t require you to psychoanalyze me. I’m not that important. But you keep at it.
Why do you post things like this? I think I’ll just go back to deleting your posts unless they make some point about the topic.

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »
No. Say it’s not to be.
Pastor Austin is the hardest working blogger in show business. He rolls out of bed under fire, grabs his keyboard and returns fire to advance on the enemy. Really, what would these threads hold but a tangle of like-minded comments were it not for him?

He keeps us on our toes, listening for the cans banging on the barbed wire.

Peter (That said, still hating you Charles; respectfully yours.) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »
A linguistics professor at Columbia finds changes in language exciting. And points out why there is nothing new, language changes all the time.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/21/opinion/gender-pronouns-they.html

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »
Of course language changes all the time. And of course people on board with eliminating traditional categories of sex and gender consider these changes good. Because the changes do not comport with Christianity, Christians tend to have a harder time getting all excited about overhauling the language’s pronoun chart to accommodate bogus anthropology.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2021, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm just catching up here, but aside from the PC editing on RBG's quote, I would think that we owe the person who originally said something to quote them as they said it.  Otherwise, don't use the quote.  I would not like it if someone edited a quote from me to make it more PC.  If you don't like the way I said it, don't quote me. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »
You are right, Pastor Engebretson.
If you’re sticking to the quote, use it the way it was said.
Choral groups sometimes have discussion about singing Stephen Foster Songs. Or about in the “battle hymn of the republc’s “as he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free.”
I alway say, sing it the way the composer wrote it, say it the way The poet wrote it. And if you can’t do that, don’t sing it or say it.