Author Topic: ALPB president  (Read 824 times)

mariemeyer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
ALPB president
« on: July 27, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »
Yesterday Bill and I received the July Forum Letter with news that David Benke  is the newly elected ALPB president.   We look forward to Pr. Benke leading the ALPB in the Evangelical Catholic perspective of our history.   

Sincere thanks to John Hannah for his leadership.

Marie Meyer

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
Re: ALPB president
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
Marie, for those of keeping score at home:

When was the election of ALPB President?

Who were the other candidates?

Who were those eligible to vote for ALPB President?

How long is the term of the ALPB President?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 06:23:18 PM »

I think I know the answers, but either Dave or John can correct me:

(1) The election was at the board meeting in May

(2) There are no "other candidates." It's an election by the board, approving nominees presented by the nominating committee.

(3) The members of the board elect the president.

(4) I think the term for officers is one year (not sure about this).
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:04:48 PM »
Congratulations Dr. Benke.  May your presidency be fruitful and blessed.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »
Thanks Pastor Johnson for the update.   The United States has President Joe Biden
who is 78 years old.  The ALPB has President Dave Benke who is 75 years old.
This election by the ALPB Board demonstrates they wanted a leader who had wisdom
that comes from age.  They wanted  a product from the 12 year LCMS "System"
for pastors....Concordia High School, Milwaukee, Concordia Jr. College, Milwaukee,
Concordia Sr. College, Ft.Wayne and Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.

Congrats to Bishop Benke for his election to this position.  He lives in New York,
however, his educational background is the from the heartland of our nation.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:34:39 PM by Dave Likeness »

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »

I think I know the answers, but either Dave or John can correct me:

(1) The election was at the board meeting in May

(2) There are no "other candidates." It's an election by the board, approving nominees presented by the nominating committee.

(3) The members of the board elect the president.

(4) I think the term for officers is one year (not sure about this).

Right on all counts. This is the way the ALPB has operated for more than 100 years. It may seem to be an unusual structure, especially in this era of heightened interest in the American presidency. We consider it successful.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »
Thanks Pastor Johnson for the update.   The United States has President Joe Biden
This election by the ALPB Board demonstrates they wanted a leader who had wisdom
for pastors....Concordia High School, Milwaukee, Concordia Jr. College, Milwaukee,

Congrats to Bishop Benke for his election to this position.  He lives in New York,

And I am 82, four years ahead of President Biden.   ;D  I have served 16 years and two years ago asked the board to find another president so that we might have fresh leadership.

I'm afraid that being a product of the former LCMS educational system was not a factor. It is not necessary that the president be LCMS, much less from a particular strain of the synod. My predecessor was ELCA. Nor is it necessary that he be a pastor; again, my predecessor was a layman.

I look forward to Bishop Benke's leadership of the ELCA.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 08:52:46 PM »

Right on all counts. This is the way the ALPB has operated for more than 100 years. It may seem to be an unusual structure, especially in this era of heightened interest in the American presidency. We consider it successful.

Peace, JOHN

The Casper Glattfelder Association of America (incorporated 1910) is of similar vintage and similar structure.   Directors nominated for staggered three year terms at the annual Association meeting; and the Directors choose their officers from among their ranks for one year terms.

Must have been an early 20th Century non-profit boilerplate.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 12:52:01 AM »

And I am 82, four years ahead of President Biden.   ;D  I have served 16 years and two years ago asked the board to find another president so that we might have fresh leadership.

I'm afraid that being a product of the former LCMS educational system was not a factor. It is not necessary that the president be LCMS, much less from a particular strain of the synod. My predecessor was ELCA. Nor is it necessary that he be a pastor; again, my predecessor was a layman.

Peace, JOHN

I would love to see Bp. Benke in ELCA Leadership. 😁

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 04:13:39 AM »
John Hannah writes:
I comment:
You guys kicking him out?
OK, well take him in, but hes going to have to start in a two-point parish in Pennsylvania.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 06:20:58 AM »
John Hannah writes:
I comment:
You guys kicking him out?
OK, well take him in, but hes going to have to start in a two-point parish in Pennsylvania.

OOPS! My bad. I look forward to Bishop Benke's leadership of the ALPB.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »

If nominated, I will not run.  If elected, I will not serve.

Unless..........the offices are moved back to New York at the former LCA headquarters, The Morgan House.  https://www.themorgan.org/about/introduction.   Pretty pleasant working environment.  I think the buy-back might be a bit pricey, but there in short form is my campaign - The Gospel of Hope for the World.

Anecdotally, I was the interim CEO at Lutheran Social Service of New York in 2017, and we seized an opportunity to do the pre-opening of the Martin Luther 500 exhibit at The Morgan on an October evening for the benefit of metro area Lutherans.  An incredible venue when you think of the importance of the printing press for the Reformation and the intellectual, spiritual and moral weight of the volumes in that library for Western thought and action through history.  The board chair, I and our spouses were whisked away at the end by black car to Queens to catch the Mets wild card game at Citi Field, which unfortunately did not end well.  The driver, a young man named Edwin from back in Brooklyn, did me a favor, and somehow got us there in time for the first pitch.  Wildly fascinating exhibit, followed by a wild ride.

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »

If nominated, I will not run.  If elected, I will not serve.

Unless..........the offices are moved back to New York at the former LCA headquarters, The Morgan House.  https://www.themorgan.org/about/introduction.   Pretty pleasant working environment.  I think the buy-back might be a bit pricey, but there in short form is my campaign - The Gospel of Hope for the World.

Anecdotally, I was the interim CEO at Lutheran Social Service of New York in 2017, and we seized an opportunity to do the pre-opening of the Martin Luther 500 exhibit at The Morgan on an October evening for the benefit of metro area Lutherans.  An incredible venue when you think of the importance of the printing press for the Reformation and the intellectual, spiritual and moral weight of the volumes in that library for Western thought and action through history.  The board chair, I and our spouses were whisked away at the end by black car to Queens to catch the Mets wild card game at Citi Field, which unfortunately did not end well.  The driver, a young man named Edwin from back in Brooklyn, did me a favor, and somehow got us there in time for the first pitch.  Wildly fascinating exhibit, followed by a wild ride.

Dave Benke

Well, maybe the ALPB could buy the Morgan House. We could do it if every Lutheran of good faith would subscribe. Then you'd have a fitting office.

Looking forward to that wild ALPB ride. I hope it'll be ending better than that Mets game.   ;D

Peace, JOHN

PS: Thanks for that marvelous exhibit in 2017; it was great!
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »
As Dave Benke takes on ALPB leadership responsibilities, I would call attention to Richard Johnson's book Changing World, Changeless Christ, The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, 1914-2014. The book will provide information about how the ALPB is structured to accomplish their stated mission in being a Lutheran voice in the USA.

Purchase of the book also provides the ALPB with funds to carry on the work of the men came together in 1914 to be a Lutheran voice in America.  Should there be any on the ALPB Forum Online who do not subscribe to Lutheran Forum and the Forum Letter, this is a good time to begin.   Doing so will offer insight into the purpose for which the ALPB exists and the manner in which the purpose is accomplished.

Memory tells me that the men and women who serve on the ALPB Board pay their own travel expenses.  Again, thanks to John Hannah for his years of servant leadership.

Marie Otten Meyer

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 11:23:10 AM »
As Dave Benke takes on ALPB leadership responsibilities, I would call attention to Richard Johnson's book Changing World, Changeless Christ, The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, 1914-2014. The book will provide information about how the ALPB is structured to accomplish their stated mission in being a Lutheran voice in the USA.

Purchase of the book also provides the ALPB with funds to carry on the work of the men came together in 1914 to be a Lutheran voice in America.  Should there be any on the ALPB Forum Online who do not subscribe to Lutheran Forum and the Forum Letter, this is a good time to begin.   Doing so will offer insight into the purpose for which the ALPB exists and the manner in which the purpose is accomplished.

Memory tells me that the men and women who serve on the ALPB Board pay their own travel expenses.  Again, thanks to John Hannah for his years of servant leadership.

Marie Otten Meyer

Marie is correct. ALPB Board officers and members receive no compensatio nor remuneration for expenses; it's all volunteer. We manage to keep publishing (and conducting this forum) due only to subscriptions, sales, and donations. Subscribe now and donate.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS