Author Topic: Chick-Fil-A at Valpo  (Read 19865 times)

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Chick-Fil-A at Valpo
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2021, 07:00:24 PM »
Pastor Fienen:
Can you not see that is a threat to free speech and free discourse?
Me:
No. Running a chicken shop is not free speech.

Dan,

Sometimes certain others intentionally miss the point. It's a form of evasion in misconstruing your statement and denying something that no-one said.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:23:58 PM by Donald_Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2021, 07:33:29 PM »
Pastor Fienen:
Charles, do you agree with those who wish to get university administrations and local, regional, and state administrations to deny Chick-fil-A the right to do business in their jurisdictions (provided that they comply with all applicable zoning and such regulations) simply because their charitable foundation has given money to groups that oppose same sex marriage?
Me:
Nope. I do not with all those people. Nor do I agree with those who would deny people employment or access to facilities or services simply because they are gay or support gay marriage.

Pastor Fienen:
Can you not see that is a threat to free speech and free discourse?
Me:
No. Running a chicken shop is not free speech.
Charles are you really that obtuse? No I would not agree with those who would deny people employment or access to facilities or services because they are gay or support gay marriage or because they are cisgendered or oppose gay marriage.

Free speech has become a much broader category under law. Is burning an American flag speech? Freedom to do so is protected under free speech. Flag burning counts as speech. Selling chicken? Why not?

If it is know that opossing gay marriage can make it difficult or impossible to operate your business, might that have a chilling effect on discussion and discourse?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:48:56 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2021, 10:38:31 AM »
Consider the topic to be Public Accommodation.  There is a lot to study here.
Norman Teigen

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2021, 10:49:24 AM »

Are you saying that CFA has ever refused service to anyone who associates with the LGBTQ+ community?

If so, can you substantiate that claim?

If not, then what does "Public Accommodation" have to do with anything?

The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »

Are you saying that CFA has ever refused service to anyone who associates with the LGBTQ+ community?

I don't think they have ever even been accused of denying service to anyone or even of discriminatory hiring practices. This has nothing to do with public accommodation. It has only to do with some people's desire to be able to live their lives without being reminded of the existence of conservative Christians.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2021, 11:46:29 AM »

I don't think they have ever even been accused of denying service to anyone or even of discriminatory hiring practices. This has nothing to do with public accommodation. It has only to do with some people's desire to be able to live their lives without being reminded of the existence of conservative Christians.

On Quora, a former kitchen employee at Chick-Fil-A answered the question: "Does Chick Fil-A actually refuse service to gay people? How exactly do they go about doing it?" He wrote: "No, they donít. Chick-fil-A does not discriminate against anyone, not even those who hurt profits by taking advantage of Chick-fil-Aís business practices, let alone gay people. They do not discriminate in hiring practices either, as I had numerous openly LGBT coworkers while I worked at Chick-fil-A."
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI