Author Topic: Zero Percent Change to Live  (Read 990 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Re: Zero Percent Change to Live
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 11:28:55 AM »
We have a situation now where a very premature child (born less than 2 lbs) seems to be doing well at Johns Hopkins.  Her mother was able to take her out of the heated crib and hold her last week and she is taking nourishment every 3 hours (about a tablespoon's worth I'm told).  It's indeed incredible what can be done with preemies these days.  We're praying this little girl will survive and thrive, knowing there will be issues with one born so early.  I bet the pro-aborts hate such events.
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 11:56:07 AM »
Pastor Culler:
I bet the pro-aborts hate such events.

Me:
Unfair. Unkind. Outrageous. And insulting!
What on earth makes you think we would not rejoice in the continuance of an infantís life?
Itís attitudes and comments like that that make discussion with certain people damn near impossible.
On the other hand, itís been my experience that certain people donít want discussion with us.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
Pastor Culler:

Me:
What on earth makes you think we would not rejoice in the continuance of an infantís life?
Itís attitudes and comments like that that make discussion with certain people damn near impossible.
On the other hand, itís been my experience that certain people donít want discussion with us.

Discuss with you?  Who approvingly quoted an author who called the pro-life position a "cult of the fetus"?  Yeah, a real discussion starter THAT was!

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Just putting something into the discussion does not mean that I approve of every word or every term in that something.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 12:12:49 PM »
Just putting something into the discussion does not mean that I approve of every word or every term in that something.

No, but you did not object to it.  And, in fact, it is the very line you chose to start your quotation.  I assume there was a reason for that.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
Pastor Bohler, I find that many of your posts appear to be looking for a fight, skeptical about what another says, and obsessively picky in the extreme. You assume the worst or enjoy putting the worst into your interpretation.
If one has to issue disclaimers about what words or phrases in an article are not to one's liking, discussion will just become too time-consuming.
But carry on.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 12:30:06 PM »
Ö I bet the pro-aborts hate such events.

I don't believe I know anyone who is pro-abortion. That certainly is not the position of the ELCA's Social Statement on Abortion. It speaks against abortions, but recognizes that they can be a responsible choice in particular circumstances.

I also found almost no one who opposes an abortion in order to save the life of the mother. I would not call such a person "pro-aborts" even though they accept and maybe even promote an abortion in that very limited circumstance.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 12:39:30 PM »
Are not the people who support up to the moment of birth pro-aborts?  Are not the people who occasionally wander the Mall with "pussy hats" pro-aborts.  Are not the people who perform abortions every day for money "pro-aborts"?  Are not the people who buy the body parts of unborn babies pro-aborts?  I did not specify the ELCA or any other group when I used that term and Charles' hissy fit is not warranted.
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »

1. This is why it is helpful to discussion to have a comment about what one thinks regarding the posted "something".
2. Irony: Your comment here is very similar to the many defensive rejoinders others have posted in response to you often
    seeming to imply that they approve of every word or every term in "somethings" that they post hereon.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 02:12:23 PM »
Pastor Culler:

Me:
If you are outraged and insulted by a simple statement of truth the problem might be you. You could have posted nothing. Or you could have said, "You'd lose that bet; I think this event is wonderful." Or you could have said, "I'm not a pro-abort." The fact that you even suspected he was referring to you and people like you with the phrase "pro-aborts" is telling. 

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
Pastor Culler:

Me:

Charles I am more than willing to acknowledge that you and not a few other proabortion folks are delighted that this young man ďbeat the odds.Ē But if you do not think there is a sizable population of people who share your support for abortion who are quite vocal in their ire and disgust over issues like this. And they are quite vocal, lurid and aggressive in sharing their opinions. You and Brian, and proaborts need to acknowledge this. As I and others working to promulgate the Gospel of Life need to grapple with those who may be anti abortion but are missing the bigger picture on our side.
Matt Hummel

ďThe chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.Ē

― J.R.R. Tolkien