Author Topic: Comments on Luther biography  (Read 549 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Comments on Luther biography
« on: June 08, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
A few years ago, there was a kind of wave of new books on Luther around the 500th anniversary of the 95 Theses. I read Martin Luther: Visionary Reformer, by Scott H. Hendrix, which I found informative and well-written. Friends of mine were reading Lyndal Roper's Martin Luther: Renegade and Prophet, which they really liked. I wasn't going to read two Luther biographies in a row, so I contented myself with Hendrix.

Now Lyndal Roper has produced a book of lectures, Living I Was Your Plague: Luther's World and Legacy, and I took the opportunity to read most of it. I must say that, while it was full of curious information, neither Martin Luther the man nor Luther the Christian came through very clearly. Does anyone here have comments on Roper's portrayal of Martin Luther, or any other treatments they found noteworthy?

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
Re: Comments on Luther biography
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »
I've used the three volumes by Brecht. As a busy parish pastor, I have not delved into more recent offerings. Thanks for sharing.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 01:43:35 PM »
A few years ago, there was a kind of wave of new books on Luther around the 500th anniversary of the 95 Theses. I read Martin Luther: Visionary Reformer, by Scott H. Hendrix, which I found informative and well-written. Friends of mine were reading Lyndal Roper's Martin Luther: Renegade and Prophet, which they really liked. I wasn't going to read two Luther biographies in a row, so I contented myself with Hendrix.

Now Lyndal Roper has produced a book of lectures, Living I Was Your Plague: Luther's World and Legacy, and I took the opportunity to read most of it. I must say that, while it was full of curious information, neither Martin Luther the man nor Luther the Christian came through very clearly. Does anyone here have comments on Roper's portrayal of Martin Luther, or any other treatments they found noteworthy?

Peace,
Michael

Of the 500th anniversary books on Luther, I think Scott Hendrix's is the one that best presents Luther the Reformer.

Marie Meyer

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:25:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Q8fWJcyyw

Interesting lecture by Lyndal Roper on Lutheran visual propaganda. She discusses 'Living I was your plague...'

See also her lecture on the Peasant War.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuB6mNJEjVc&t=771sWar

Thank you Father Slusser, for bringing this scholar to our attention.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:31:00 PM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »
Two books which deserve to be read for those who want insights into Luther:

The Theology of Martin Luther by Paul Althaus (Fortress Press)

Martin Luther's Theology (Its Historical and Systematic Development) by Bernhard Lohse  (Fortress Press)