Author Topic: New Podcast Episode on Herman John Otten  (Read 2034 times)

Mark Brown

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
Re: New Podcast Episode on Herman John Otten
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »
It is very hard here to try and correct Peter...

Maybe because Peter is making clear statements that can be looked up and seen: "ah, yes, lots of photos of large families at Camp" or "lots of hawking of Beck Bibles and Bible studies" or even "lots of Bicycle events."  That is the thing about clear statements, contrary to mood affiliation (Herman Otten bad, boo), you are forced to look at reality, not just one's belly and the quick dopamine hit of being on the right side of history.   

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 04:25:50 PM »
At this this time I respectively request a "point of personal privilege."

Now secret here, I am the younger sister of Herman John Otten.  Also no secret is that my picture appeared in CN with some regularity as a "feminist" promoting the ordination of women. To say this was painful is an understatement.

Also true is that I loved my brother.  The last time I saw Herman we were in his office. Much to my surprise, hanging on the wall was a piece of art work I created for him years ago.  The conversation was in many ways like that of an older brother and a younger sister.   I always looked up to my good looking brother.   The fact that he married my Valpo roommate, fellow deaconess Grace Anderson, was another tie that bound us together. 

In any event at the close of our final visit, Herman, not one to express feelings said, "I love you, Marie."

Due to the fact that Herman's funeral service was held so quickly following his death and getting from Bethel, CT to New Haven, MO was no easy task I was not able to attend the funeral.  I arrived a day late, but was able to spend a week with Grace.

I would ask that this thread by closed.

Marie Otten Meyer

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 05:03:18 PM »
It is very hard here to try and correct Peter.

He wrote:
The only times I saw CN in seminary it was full of stuff he was for— pictures of his camp and large, smiling families, Bible studies on this or that, etc. There were pages and pages of it.
I comment:
Peter was obviously not reading the publication in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Peter again:
Skipped through that stuff in ten seconds, read the bullet points of crazy bad stuff going elsewhere, which was less of the paper but the only reason anyone looked at the paper.
Me, finally:
Back in The Day, the “bad stuff going on” was not “less of the paper.”
But those days are over. Carry on.
I looked up Pr. Speckhard and he graduated seminary in1997. He likely wasn't reading CN as a toddler.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »
I support what Marie requested. Lock it.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS