Author Topic: "The only real truth comes from God"  (Read 2282 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: "The only real truth comes from God"
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
It is significant that when the human decided that it was more delightful and promising to eat the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil to be like God, that the human no longer wanted to be in relationship with God at that point onward.  Humans want to manage things by themselves neglecting the pre-determined fact that a Creator had created them for relationship.  God then initiated and decided to call forth individuals again into relationship via Abraham and Sarah and their progeny.  When this wasn't enough God sent Christ to take upon himself all that flesh is heir to in terms of sin and death, put it to death in His cross and then rise together where Christ is the living Savior in a life (inchoate for us) giving life.

One aspect of the Fall (as I remember it from the old Bethel Bible Series which I took in high school) is that the Fall changed our relationship with God, with each other, and with nature. The humans were now afraid of God and tried to hide from God. They saw God as an enemy, a judge, a punisher; rather than their loving creator.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

George Rahn

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: "The only real truth comes from God"
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2021, 09:45:04 PM »
It is significant that when the human decided that it was more delightful and promising to eat the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil to be like God, that the human no longer wanted to be in relationship with God at that point onward.  Humans want to manage things by themselves neglecting the pre-determined fact that a Creator had created them for relationship.  God then initiated and decided to call forth individuals again into relationship via Abraham and Sarah and their progeny.  When this wasn't enough God sent Christ to take upon himself all that flesh is heir to in terms of sin and death, put it to death in His cross and then rise together where Christ is the living Savior in a life (inchoate for us) giving life.

One aspect of the Fall (as I remember it from the old Bethel Bible Series which I took in high school) is that the Fall changed our relationship with God, with each other, and with nature. The humans were now afraid of God and tried to hide from God. They saw God as an enemy, a judge, a punisher; rather than their loving creator.

Yes.  As to the value of the Bethel series:  priceless.