Author Topic: Philip Pfatteicher +  (Read 776 times)

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Philip Pfatteicher +
« on: June 27, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »
I just happened to catch the notice in today's NY Times. He died on June 22 at age 85. Requiem Mass at the Church of the Advent, 30 Brimmer Street, Boston.

He made important contributions to Lutheran liturgical scholarship and practice. He was for many years the editor of the Ashby Calendar (Lutheran Edition). Author of Manuel on the Liturgy, Lutheran Book of Worship (with Carlos Messerli) and New Book of Festivals and Commemorations. In the 1960s he was a pastor in the Bronx (All Saints).

May he rest in peace and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
Re: Philip Pfatteicher +
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
I forgot Pfatteicher's The Daily Prayer of the Church, a very detailed Lutheran breviary (1609 pages).
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 02:04:38 PM »
His obituary:

https://robinsonfuneralhome.tributes.com/obituary/show/Philip-H.-Pfatteicher-108521194

(I had said he was pastor of All Saints; Bethany was later re-named All Saints.)
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 02:39:08 PM »
Thank you, John, for sharing this.  I had Dr. Pfatteicher as my professor while studying at Nashotah House.  The class I took in 2011 was "The History and Practice of the Church Year."  One of the most useful graduate classes of my program, the notes of which I continue to use even in my own teaching for CTS-FW.  While I was in the class I ordered his book The New Book of Festivals and Commemorations and had him sign it.  A very nice and gracious man. May he rest in Christ in peace as we now await the resurrection.   
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »
Thank you, John, for sharing this.  I had Dr. Pfatteicher as my professor while studying at Nashotah House.  The class I took in 2011 was "The History and Practice of the Church Year."  One of the most useful graduate classes of my program, the notes of which I continue to use even in my own teaching for CTS-FW.  While I was in the class I ordered his book The New Book of Festivals and Commemorations and had him sign it.  A very nice and gracious man. May he rest in Christ in peace as we now await the resurrection.

I met him once when I sat through a couple of quality lectures. Talked to him briefly about the Bronx. Gracious indeed.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 03:53:17 PM »
I used his books for years. Gave them away in retirement to young pastors; strongly encouraging them to read and pay attention.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. It is now clear that the election of 2020 was not stolen. But we see now how it was nearly stolen after the balloting. Some of our top officials assisted by corrupt lawyers, attempted to steal the electoral college. Some true patriots saved us.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »

He made important contributions to Lutheran liturgical scholarship and practice. He was for many years the editor of the Ashby Calendar (Lutheran Edition). Author of Manuel on the Liturgy, Lutheran Book of Worship (with Carlos Messerli) and New Book of Festivals and Commemorations. In the 1960s he was a pastor in the Bronx (All Saints).

May he rest in peace and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Peace, JOHN

Amen and aye.

During the years when Franklin X. McCormick published a Lutheran version of their Liturgical Desk Calendar I was its editor.

Philip was my counterpart at Ashby.   We had numerous correspondence and phone consultations to try to keep our products consistent; particularly with transferring Lesser Festivals displaced by Holy Week and Bright Week.

We were mostly of one mind;  however when it came to carrying the Sunday color through the weekdays that follow (ie, Pentecost and Trinity weeks) we simply agreed to disagree.  Nevertheless, he graciously signed my well worn copy of the first edition Festivals and Commemorations when he was the presenter at a multi-chapter STS Retreat at Antiochian Village...ironically the same Retreat which initiated my conscious journey into the Orthodox Church.

Lutheranism is diminished through his dormition but the choir of triumphant saints is so much richer.

"With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant
 where there is no pain, no sorrow, no sighing, but life everlasting."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:24:31 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.