Author Topic: Transgender ELCA Bishop  (Read 3788 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender ELCA Bishop
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:13:43 PM »
Congratulations.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 07:41:57 PM »
Rev. Megan Rohrer was elected by one vote 209-207 over Rev. Jeff Johnson on the fifth ballot. 416 votes cast, 209 needed for a majority.

Jeff was ahead on every ballot up until the end.

Jeff  Megan
5  207  209
4  172  141
3  115   97
2    97   33
1*  52   21
* The first ballot is an ecclesiastical ballot - a blank sheet of paper and any rostered ELCA clergy can be written in. The second ballot includes all the names written on the first ballot, except those who have withdrawn their names.

To learn about Jeff: https://www.elm.org/2010/08/19/jeff-johnson/

Such a switch at or near the end is not uncommon. (I've seen it in other bishop elections, like our presiding bishop.)
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:20:44 PM »
Congratulations.

No kidding. And the Religion News Service release tells us that not only is they the first trans Lutheran bishop, but the first trans bishop of ANY major denomination. And this from the Sierra Pacific Synod which, though it has long prided itself on being in the vanguard of sexual progressivism, has only ever elected straight white male bishops. We are so very woke.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
Rev. Megan Rohrer was elected by one vote 209-207 over Rev. Jeff Johnson on the fifth ballot.

Such a switch at or near the end is not uncommon. (I've seen it in other bishop elections, like our presiding bishop.)

Lower Susquehanna Synod, A.D. 2007.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
Congratulations.

No kidding. And the Religion News Service release tells us that not only is they the first trans Lutheran bishop, but the first trans bishop of ANY major denomination. And this from the Sierra Pacific Synod which, though it has long prided itself on being in the vanguard of sexual progressivism, has only ever elected straight white male bishops. We are so very woke.

At least they still consider us a "major denomination." :)
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
Rev. Megan Rohrer was elected by one vote 209-207 over Rev. Jeff Johnson on the fifth ballot. 416 votes cast, 209 needed for a majority.

Jeff  Megan
5  207  209
4  172  141
3  115   97
2    97   33
1*  52   21
* The first ballot is an ecclesiastical ballot - a blank sheet of paper and any rostered ELCA clergy can be written in. The second ballot includes all the names written on the first ballot, except those who have withdrawn their names.

In regards to Johnson, when it say he lives with his partner, what does that mean?  Since gay marriage is now the law of the land, is he married?  Does the ELCA look for such a "sexually pure and decent life...and husband and husband love and honor each other?"  Or is partner the euphemistic way of saying "the primary sexual partner who lives in the same residence as I do?"

Also if the two top candidates were: a) a guy who demands that everyone use a plural pronoun and consider him a female and b) a guy partnered with another guy, what are the criteria the Holy Spirit used to guide this ecclesial ballot?  What is the message the Spirit is telling all Christians through it?

I'm obviously against this, but I'm morbidly curious as to what the actual answers from those within would be.   How does an institution that continues to say it and it's ministers are pledged to the confessions explain such a vote? 

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »

Jeff  Megan
5  207  209
4  172  141
3  115   97
2    97   33
1*  52   21

In regards to Johnson, when it say he lives with his partner, what does that mean?  Since gay marriage is now the law of the land, is he married?  Does the ELCA look for such a "sexually pure and decent life...and husband and husband love and honor each other?"  Or is partner the euphemistic way of saying "the primary sexual partner who lives in the same residence as I do?"

He was married in 2014. (I think that's after the bio info that I posted.)

https://lgbtqreligiousarchives.org/profiles/jeff-r-johnson

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »
An biographical blurb about Rev. Megan Rohrer.

https://lgbtqreligiousarchives.org/profiles/megan-rohrer
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 01:41:23 PM by Brian Stoffregen »

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 02:34:38 PM »
An biographical blurb about Rev. Megan Rohrer.

https://lgbtqreligiousarchives.org/profiles/megan-rohrer

Looking at their backgrounds, Rev. Johnson would clearly appear to be the better choice of the two.  Without him founding what is now Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries, would Bishop Rohrer even be an ELCA pastor? 

-De Hall

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »
I agree that Jeff Johnson would have been preferable, when it came down to those two. I'm not close to the situation any more, but I think that the woke parade sort of passed him up. There were many who found him too institutionally moored. Oh, and he is a white male.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 05:29:10 PM »
All candidates for synodal bishop fill out questionnaires which include the following question:
5. Are you living in accord with Definitions and Guidelines for Discipline for rostered
persons in the ELCA and do you intend to continue to live in compliance?
O Never Rostered O Yes O No
If no, please explain on following page.
I assume that the candidates must furnish a satisfactory answer for their candidacy to proceed.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
Ah yes, the bitter irony of a guy who established something to help others ignore what was then against the "Definitions and Guidelines" and to live contrary to it being passed over by the woke parade as too institutionally moored.

Almost enough to think that what goes around comes around is a perfect match for pagan sexuality.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 07:13:19 PM »
All candidates for synodal bishop fill out questionnaires which include the following question:
5. Are you living in accord with Definitions and Guidelines for Discipline for rostered
I assume that the candidates must furnish a satisfactory answer for their candidacy to proceed.

There is a new version of Definitions and Guidelines for 2021. It is attached.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 07:38:22 PM »
There is a new version of Definitions and Guidelines for 2021. It is attached.
The questionnaire I quoted is from the current instructions for Synods.
https://download.elca.org/ELCA%20Resource%20Repository/2021_Toolkit_for_Synod_Bishop_Elections.pdf

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian