Author Topic: Pure Flix: The Book of Daniel  (Read 488 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Pure Flix: The Book of Daniel
« on: May 05, 2021, 08:39:19 PM »
We watched the 2013 drama, "The Book of Daniel" tonight. Something odd struck me. In the story of the fiery furnace, they showed the golden image (Daniel 3). It looked remarkably like images of St. Patrick or some other sainted bishop---raising his hand to make the sign of the cross and holding a crozier! Here is a link to the film on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/lEcVirvNosc

The image is at 23:57.

Is Pure Flix known for an anti-catholic stance? I would have guessed they would appeal to all Christian churches when presenting Bible stories but was shocked by this anachronistic and polemic-looking choice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:52:21 PM by Rev. Edward Engelbrecht »
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Pr. Luke Zimmerman

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • 2 Timothy 3:14-15
    • View Profile
    • Minister of Mechanicsburg
Re: Pure Flix: The Book of Daniel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
From a perusal of their website, it doesn’t look like Pure Flix is anti-Catholic. There were some films with Catholic content: Fulton Sheen, Sunday Mass, Our Lady of Guadalupe, etc.

That said, the statue in question looks very much like the statue of St. Nicholas that I have in my study or an ornament that goes on my Christmas tree every year: the book with the three baubles is common in images of that defender of orthodox teaching and proponent of charity. Perhaps it was a budgetary decision—find the cheapest statue around to insert into the film.
Pr. Luke Zimmerman
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Mechanicsburg, PA

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Re: Pure Flix: The Book of Daniel
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 08:55:38 AM »
Thanks, Luke. We were viewing a DVD loaned to us by one of our members so I had not seen their website. It looks like a glitch in editorial process. They need to run their visual choices past a script editor who knows something about the Bible and history rather than through an art director who is thinking more about visual quality.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.