Author Topic: Civil unrest and Christian witness  (Read 13298 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Civil unrest and Christian witness
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »
So what should the response of the churches be, if a group thatís like the one under question moves into town?
Seems to me that our response should be similar to what our response would be if any non-Christian religious group moved into town. We live in a pluralistic society where all faiths are welcome. If asked we certainly could say we're our faith and theirs differ.

As for their being whites only, freedom of association should mean not only that we are free to associate with whomever we please, but that we are free not to associate with whomever we please. That freedom of course must also conform to the laws concerning public accommodations.

Having a whites only policy I believe is wrong. But then from what the article said there would be much about their beliefs that I would believe is wrong. Their right to hold and practice their religion would not be contingent on me or anyone else agreeing with, liking, or being indifferent to their beliefs.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »
So what should the response of the churches be, if a group thatís like the one under question moves into town?
Seems to me that our response should be similar to what our response would be if any non-Christian religious group moved into town. We live in a pluralistic society where all faiths are welcome. If asked we certainly could say we're our faith and theirs differ.

As for their being whites only, freedom of association should mean not only that we are free to associate with whomever we please, but that we are free not to associate with whomever we please. That freedom of course must also conform to the laws concerning public accommodations.

Having a whites only policy I believe is wrong. But then from what the article said there would be much about their beliefs that I would believe is wrong. Their right to hold and practice their religion would not be contingent on me or anyone else agreeing with, liking, or being indifferent to their beliefs.
Assuming that the church group will be asserting their First Amendment right to worship in their own way and the opposition (who have not identified as Christian but who probably are) will assert their First Amendment right to express their condemnation of the pagan group, do we Christians have any special interest in this situation to protect, for example, our right (under the First Amendment) to fire employees for claiming civil rights that outside a religious institution they would be entitled to?

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2021, 08:12:31 PM »
A number of years ago there would be an occasional uproar about a KKK meeting taking place on a farm in the county we lived in at the time.  Generally there would be about 8-10 Klansmen (some of whom were from out of state) and 50 or so media people.  It would be in the paper and people would worry and fret and get all worked up, but nothing notable ever happened and I haven't heard anything from that quarter for about 30 years.  There are lots of people who hold (shades of Hillary Clinton) deplorable views.  We can't change that or "cancel" that.  The best Christians can do is to go about proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ crucified and risen.  When we focus on that the other stuff tends to fall into its proper category (IMO).
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com