Author Topic: America is a Pagan Nation - Now What?  (Read 1542 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: America is a Pagan Nation - Now What?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
For some time I have been pondering the question of how much of the church attendance in the supposed golden era was driven by societal pressure when the church was more at the center of the community.  In other words, how many people went because "that's what everybody did, or because it was some national emergency like WW 2 etc. 

There are studies that show as steep a drop in organizations like Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, VFW etc.  Are they finding their sense of community elsewhere?  I don't know.

In my area of Iowa you also need to take into account the overall decline in population of our county and the shrinking size of the average farm family that now has on average 2 children as opposed to 5 or more a few years ago.

The younger generation is more glued to the social media devices in their hands than to the people sitting beside them at a table.

More "connected" digitally but totally disconnected in live, real-time, face to face conversation.

Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: America is a Pagan Nation - Now What?
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
I would propose that what is now happening in Minneapolis will have a profound effect on the American culture.  This will also have an effect on American religion.

We'll find out tonight. There's currently a mad exodus out of downtown Minneapolis, trying to get out before the verdict is read.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs