Author Topic: Vaccine Discussin  (Read 2576 times)

peterm

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussin
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
I received my second shot this past Monday (the 5th) Moderna. 
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 10:43:15 AM »
MJ and I had our 2nd Moderna last Thursday and Friday, as soon as it became available to us.  Got through the Good Friday service with no problem. Woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck! Achy, weak, racing heartbeat while at church getting ready for the Easter service. Slept off and on all afternoon. MJ's birthday on Sunday, so I dragged my carcass out for a quiet dinner Sat night. Woke up Sunday morning for the Easter sunrise service feeling like new!

My parents are 95 and 96. Absolutely no physical reactions to either dose! So, effects are different for various individuals.

We had a substantial congregational contingent that refused to wear masks and refused to comply with the State mandate, so they stopped coming to services. One officer on the council insisted on complaining about the violation of his constitutional rights! We tried to explain that we wear masks for the sake of our neighbor, particularly the widows who were frightened that some refused to mask. Stiff-necked people in every congregation, I guess.  😟

One thing we noticed, and I read something about it, was that those who had already been tested positive, had the virus, or in retrospect thought they might have had it - which means they had antibodies in their system - were whacked with more substantial reactions.  One of our leaders was hit so hard - and she had the virus some months before - that she cleaned herself up, sat on the floor and prepared to be found dead but ready for heaven when her family members returned to the house.  Instead she fell asleep there on the floor for three hours, woke in a better place here on earth, and recovered. 

Stiff necks can be a side effect.

Dave Benke

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 10:57:01 AM »

I'm getting the Moderna today -- have you had any side effects?

Keeping in mind Pastor Kirchner's admonition that it affects everyone differently, I'm collecting as much anecdotal data as I can.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 10:57:15 AM »
My wife and I received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Saturday, March 28.  Sunday afternoon I started feeling tired.  Monday I felt wiped out but started working - that lasted a couple hours before the headache started.  I crawled back into bed and slept the rest of the day.  Tuesday I felt some better and worked most of the day.  In the afternoon I took a nap.  Wednesday I was much better - no headache, still somewhat tired but not the wiped out feeling from Monday.

My wife?  No symptoms at all.  So what happens definitely varies from person to person.

My 23-year-old son gets his first dose this Saturday.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 11:09:57 AM »
MJ and I had our 2nd Moderna last Thursday and Friday, as soon as it became available to us.  Got through the Good Friday service with no problem. Woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck! Achy, weak, racing heartbeat while at church getting ready for the Easter service. Slept off and on all afternoon. MJ's birthday on Sunday, so I dragged my carcass out for a quiet dinner Sat night. Woke up Sunday morning for the Easter sunrise service feeling like new!

My parents are 95 and 96. Absolutely no physical reactions to either dose! So, effects are different for various individuals.

We had a substantial congregational contingent that refused to wear masks and refused to comply with the State mandate, so they stopped coming to services. One officer on the council insisted on complaining about the violation of his constitutional rights! We tried to explain that we wear masks for the sake of our neighbor, particularly the widows who were frightened that some refused to mask. Stiff-necked people in every congregation, I guess.  😟

One thing we noticed, and I read something about it, was that those who had already been tested positive, had the virus, or in retrospect thought they might have had it - which means they had antibodies in their system - were whacked with more substantial reactions.  One of our leaders was hit so hard - and she had the virus some months before - that she cleaned herself up, sat on the floor and prepared to be found dead but ready for heaven when her family members returned to the house.  Instead she fell asleep there on the floor for three hours, woke in a better place here on earth, and recovered. 

Stiff necks can be a side effect.

Dave Benke

Just might be something to that, Dave. MJ had her 2nd on Thursday and was similarly wiped out on Friday. And she strongly believes that we had COVID when we returned from a Caribbean cruise in late winter of 2020 and got sick. I don't recall losing my sense of taste and smell (Her brother got COVID and said that you definitely will notice a loss of taste and smell, that's it's really weird), but had a lot of the other symptoms.

Obviously, complete speculation.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:30:51 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »

Keeping in mind Pastor Kirchner's admonition that it affects everyone differently, I'm collecting as much anecdotal data as I can.
I didn't have any from the first shot in March other than a sore arm which hurt no more than the average tetnus shot.  The day after my second shot (which was Tuesday)  my legs ached so bad I could hardly walk and I was tired but I'm not sure how much of that was vaccine and how much was the 6 holy week services I did.  Ibuprofin cleared things up nicesy, as did a good nap.  Nurses in my congregation recommended drinking plenty of water after the shot and for the next couple days after.
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »
One thing we noticed, and I read something about it, was that those who had already been tested positive, had the virus, or in retrospect thought they might have had it - which means they had antibodies in their system - were whacked with more substantial reactions. 
Yes, this is quite possibly true.  Only thing I would add, maybe not just antibodies from COVID19 but also a similar enough coronavirus.  That's been one of the theories about the severity variability, that people less effected might have been exposed to a similar virus previously.

I managed to find a vaccine appointment next week at a grocery store pharmacy, not sure which one it will be.  A friend who clued me in that this chain had the vaccine (despite not being currently listed as a provider on the Pennsylvania Department of Health website/database, go figure), got the J&J vaccine yesterday, but their info advertises all 3.  I took a chance and saw an appointment an hour away, close to where I grew up.

While I only marginally qualify on several categories (1-B/C), as Pennsylvania is about open up to all residents (having lagged most states, probably because our population skews older) and as my congregation is resuming in-person services and needs people willing to usher, I feel justified for the needs of the many, not just mine.
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Robert Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:22 PM »

My wife and I both got Moderna. First shot: slightly sore arm, both of us. (I hear that if you already have had Covid you'll get a stronger reaction to the first shot.)

Second shot: day of shot, sore arm. Day after: bigger reactions. I was slightly out of it all that day. My wife felt worse, and had chills that wouldn't stop for a while.

Those are our data points, but reactions are all over the map

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 12:00:03 AM »
We had our second Pfizer about a month ago. No serious side effects with either shot; just a little fatigue the day after the second one.

We got them because (1) we think it is the wisest health decision for ourselves; (2) we think it is the wisest decision for our community; (3) we want to be able to see our children and grandchildren; (4) we are about to move to New York, and we didn't want to make a transcontinental drive unprotected.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »
First shot of Moderna down. My arm is a little sore (like a tetanus booster) but otherwise no ill effects.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:30:04 AM by David Garner »
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
I have the vaccine. I don’t plan to carry a vaccine passport and will certainly go out of my way to avoid any place that asks for one, though depending on how heavy handed the passport cheerleaders want to get it could be unavoidable. The whole idea is worse than merely distasteful.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 11:00:17 AM »
Do you avoid public schools if children there are required to be vaccinated? For things like diphtheria and typhoid and the other stuff the children are vaccinated for? Is that distasteful?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
Do you avoid public schools if children there are required to be vaccinated? For things like diphtheria and typhoid and the other stuff the children are vaccinated for? Is that distasteful?
I find the idea of the government treating the citizenry the way public school administrators treat young children to be distasteful, yes.

In England they used to forcibly shave the heads of children in slum districts in order to combat the spread of lice. I'm not pro-lice, but I find the idea of mandatory haircuts distasteful, too.

If you can't see the possibilities for abuse from requiring approved vaccination "passports" and where such things inevitably lead, you are an autocrat's dream subject.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
The “possibility“ for abuse exists in virtually every human activity, including some of those civic actions which you might prefer. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take those actions, even if we watch out for signs of abuse.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 12:49:03 PM »
If I've already had the virus do I need to be vaccinated against it?  I've heard from several sources that if you've already had it and get vaccinated the side effects can be quite serious.