Author Topic: A Blessed Easter to All!  (Read 1235 times)

pastorg1@aol.com

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A Blessed Easter to All!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Pastor Speckhard’s Easter does seem glorious.

Here in the SF Bay Area the Episcopal Cathedral, the size of a blimp hangar, remains shut. Our big, local church is shut except for 15 minute prayer-segments during which reservations may be made to listen to music with a few other members. Oh yes, there are special flower decorations as well.

The Archbishop of SF has led a march proclaiming that “Mass is Essential” and so we’ve been attending Roman Catholic mass and hearing Christ-centered sermons.

For the “spiritual” life of me I don’t know why churches remain closed; I mean shut tightly.

My worst fear is that the clergy are getting used to Zoom and so may be the congregants.

Peter (Jesus shows up, I show up.) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »

For the “spiritual” life of me I don’t know why churches remain closed; I mean shut tightly.

My worst fear is that the clergy are getting used to Zoom and so may be the congregants.

Peter (Jesus shows up, I show up.) Garrison

I fail to comprehend how starving the faithful of the "medicine of immortality" can possibly be construed, much less rationalized, even less justified as "keeping everyone 'safe'".

This coming Sunday's Western Gospel has much to do with Jesus breaking down barriers of fear.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:15:50 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 05:35:26 PM »
A virtual choir and orchestra of over 1700 participants: Jesus Christ Is Risen Today from ALCM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b3stlugM04
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
All through the pandemic I have been doing individual communion by appointment for those who want it.  We have been in person with appropriate precautions since the beginning of the school year, but attendance has been light.  Vaccination rates in our county are climbing steadily with the majority being vaccinated. 

The most moving aspect of our Easter services for me was two fold-

1)  It was good to see the sanctuaries relatively full at each of our three services

2) most importantly we celebrated the Eucharist corporately as a community in ways we had not for a year. 

The gathered community is a powerful thing indeed.  Just the ability to be together in ways we have not was a powerful Easter message.  Christ is HERE.  WE are still here!
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Weedon

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
Excellent article: https://myfaith-data.s3.amazonaws.com/Tobo0/BciulEm.pdf

HT: Gottesdienst.

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 10:12:53 PM »
We've been doing in-person worship at both my congregations since last May 17, though with every other pew blocked off (tape, decorative chain), masks requested and encouraged but not required.  About 40% of our pre-Covid average worship attendance...Christmas was an exception where we matched our previous worship average of around 250, but with an additional Christmas Eve service (having 3 instead of 2) along with a single Christmas Day worship...then back to 40% till Easter...50 at our Easter Vigil service (pre-covid average) and the three Easter Day services where we reached about 80% of our pre-Covid average (2019 we had a 3 service attendance of nearly 400; 2021 we had about 320).  I resonate with Pr. Engebretson's "choking up" in looking out at three full services, recalling last year's single live-stream in an empty sanctuary (apart from me, the organist, and the gal in charge of the I-pad).  A bit of a drop this week at Old West Paint Creek Church, but my Old East Paint Creek Church was full again (the chains came off the pews for Easter last Sunday).  Nearly 100% of my over 65 folks have had both vaccine shots.  Of my under 65 folks about 1/3 have had the shots and at least another third have already had Covid.  It wasn't absolutely risk free but the risks are far lower than many other places--the benefit of a mostly rural county (Allamakee in Iowa) where our public health and medical folks have been highly efficient in distributing the vaccine doses available to us.  A much happier Easter for us (and the pastor!) than a year ago.   We only lost one person to Covid the past year (though that death was the first Covid death in our county back in March 202) and we've had ten deaths since last March.