Author Topic: Help with a quote or location of a quote  (Read 345 times)

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Help with a quote or location of a quote
« on: April 08, 2021, 12:43:56 PM »
Hello.  On Sunday we're going to look at the Gospel lesson during Bible class, particularly the breathing on the disciples that Jesus does, the giving of the Holy Spirit.  I recall a quote that says, "There is no such thing as a Spiritless Word or a Wordless Spirit."  I forget where I read that or heard that.  Was it in Klemet Preus' book "Fire and the Staff"? 

Anyone know? 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
Re: Help with a quote or location of a quote
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »
Yes, I have Preus's 2004 book at home and can get the page number this evening, but it is included in the Amazon preview at the end of the second section of chapter 3.
How do you know if the Spirit is active in a church? There is only one way. If the Gospel of Christ is proclaimed, then the Holy Spirit is active. And if the Holy Spirit is active, then there must be a proclamation of the Christ. There can be no wordless Spirit and there can be no Spiritless Word.
A quick Google search also turned up this 2015 summary of AC V by Herbert Mueller (http://theemmausconference.org/previous_papers/2015%20Emmaus%20Conference%20Papers/Mueller.pdf).
The Holy Spirit does not jump on us in a dark alley somewhere, but comes through means. So that we might have this faith that justifies, God instituted the preaching office to bring the Word and Sacrament to people. We donít have to wonder where to find the grace of God. Itís here in the Word and Sacrament. There is no wordless Spirit and no spiritless Word of God. Christ alone gives life by His means.
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

Jeremy_Loesch

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:30:52 PM »
Thank you very much. I appreciate your searching and sharing.

Jeremy

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:00:03 PM »
Just to get this out of my system - and I probably mentioned it here once already.  Not speaking ill of the book or of the dead (Klemet Preus (+)), but when the book came out, I looked it up and it was listed under "Church Administration."  Why?  Because somebody at HQ thought it was a How-To manual on taking care of administrative business:  How to Fire the Staff. 

And wouldn't that be a great volume for congregational ministry?  Since almost all of the "staff" are volunteers, the best way I had invented in another version of me was to award the off-loadee with a plaque and have them come forward at the end of the church service:  "Ted, we love what you've done for us in heading up the Sunday School.  Please accept this plaque in grateful recognition of your service on this your last Sunday as Superintendent."  What are they going to do, turn down the plaque?

Anyway, when I left the parish the first time for the district position, I was given gifts at a big banquet.  One of them was a tube of dental plaque remover.  The Emcee said, "Pastor, we love you, man; but we knew what you were doing all along.  This is to remind you not to do it at your next position." 

I didn't listen.

Dave Benke

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:57:22 PM »
How do you know if the Spirit is active in a church? There is only one way. If the Gospel of Christ is proclaimed, then the Holy Spirit is active. And if the Holy Spirit is active, then there must be a proclamation of the Christ. There can be no wordless Spirit and there can be no Spiritless Word.
Sorry, I forgot to look it up last night, but this passage is on page 82. The whole chapter proceeds to expand on it, and here is the conclusion on page 105.
There is no Wordless Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not come to us graciously without the Word. He always forgives through the Word, whether it is preached, spoken in absolution, or given to us through the sacraments of Baptism or the Lord's Supper. Whatever is extolled as the Spirit without the Word is really of the devil.
There is no Spiritless Word. Whenever the Word of Christ is taught, proclaimed, spoken, announced, or bestowed through the Sacraments, it is the Spirit's Word that forgives and strengthens through it. And no matter who speaks it, whether you or your pastor or your mom, as long as it is spoken purely, it is powerful.
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)