Author Topic: Vaccine Discussin  (Read 2397 times)

Daniel Lee Gard

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Vaccine Discussin
« on: April 07, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »
I am relieved to now be 2 weeks past my second Pfizer shot. As a high risk individual, I have been essentially a hermit for over a year. Every Monday I have had the privilege of celebrating the Eucharist with other high risk folks in our parish. But on Easter I was able to attend the Sunday morning service for the first time. I will continue to serve my Monday morning people as long as the smaller gathering is needed.

I am curious if the Forum participants have had the vaccine and why you did or did not. Also, what is your sense of how the people you serve have approached the issue of getting the vaccine. Any insights?

Weedon

Re: Vaccine Discussin
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 06:41:34 PM »
Hi, Daniel. My wife and I both have had the vaccine. We did so mostly to ease the angst of those who are worried about catching the virus in our parish and truthfully also in our family; my wife waffled right up to the last moment as to whether she wanted to get it. We figured with a trip to Mexico in the offing, it might make life easier, so we got it. Weíre by no means anti-vax. But we donít take every vaccine that comes along. Never have gotten the flu shot since a nasty experience with it over a decade ago. Never had our kids get that hpv vaccine. And so on. We pick and choose and weigh. So yeah, we got it for the peace of mind that it could give those who worry about it.

Under discussed in the whole area of COVID 19 is the disproportionate way it has affected metabolically compromised individuals and how those personal choices about the food you choose to eat, the sleep you get, the sunshine you get can all help minimize the impact of a bout of the wretched disease. There is more than one silver bullet to use on this sucker.

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »
I received my first Pfizer vaccine shot in late January and the follow up one on Feb. 12. Because of my role as a first responder (firefighter), I was able to get the vaccine in the initial distribution schedule in my state.  For me there was no question about receiving it.  I had dodged this virus left and right throughout the fall and winter, with close calls, especially, in dealing with the dying, not to mention the ongoing risk of responding to fire/accident calls where wearing a mask was not possible and close contact with fellow first responders was ongoing.  One of my strongest motivations was the ability to gain access to my long quarantined shut-ins in area care facilities.  When COVID cases spiked in the fall in my area, they locked down tight and I was unable to gain any access at all.  Since such elderly people are often very hard of hearing and sometime afflicted with dementia I realized that I would need to minister to them face-to-face. I actually tried one time to call a shut-in, only to have 80% of the call essentially unproductive. My vaccine, in fact, did gain me access and even the right to take off my mask so that the elderly resident could hear me.  I had no reactions when I received the shot, and have had none since.  I would have received the shot earlier, anyway, since I am also 'high risk' as a diabetic who has a history of upper respiratory issues.  I did not want to risk hospitalization and potential time on a respirator.

As for the people I serve I think that openness to getting the vaccine has been pretty high, especially among the older crowd eager to get out and reconnect.  I was surprised by a couple of members who serve in the healthcare industry who were resistant, and I understand that they are not an exception. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:52:33 PM by D. Engebretson »
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:59:37 PM »
I posted this some time ago on one of the other threads:

I was very fortunate to have been able to receive the vaccine in January, thanks to an overabundance of supply at one of our larger health care provider networks and a higher than anticipated refusal rate among its employees.    Rather than have the doses go to waste, they were made available to first responders even though "our turn" wasn't to be for several weeks later.

There was no choice of serum.  Moderna was what they had:  Take it or leave it.

The first eight hours I felt great.  Based on many years of experience in receiving the seasonal flu vaccine I went home and did my weight training regimen.  As the former President said about his stay at Walter Reed "I felt like Superman."

And then the ninth hour arrived. 

I began having difficulty raising my injection arm.  Then the headaches began.   And deep chills.  "The hangover from Hell"

And a complete loss of appetite.  Even thinking about food was nearly nauseating.  That continued from the ninth hour until around the thirtith hour when I was able to force down some rice.

Around that time the chills and headaches subsided only to be replaced by hot flashes...which continued until about the thirty-sixth hour.   Then life returned to normal.

Many of the first responders who were vaccinated at the same time experienced similar symptoms.  The most severe symptoms were with those who had had COVID or strong exposure.  Since my wife had been hospitalized with COVID over Christmas I definitely had been exposed, even though I purportedly tested negative at the time.

Friends in the health care industry advised me to take 500mg Tylenol a few hours  prior to the second dose and for about 24-36 hours afterward to mitigate such reactions.  It worked.  There would be fleeting headaches (gone in 10-15 seconds) and similar fleeting chills and nausea.

Bottom line:  For clergy, best to schedule the injection on a Monday or Tuesday to allow maximum time of recuperation before Sunday.

+ + +

Reaction among others:  For the first month or so I said little about having received the vaccine because there was a lot of "vaccine envy" due to gross incompetence by the PA Department of Health in planning for distribution.  Now that the vaccine is more widely available folks are comforted to know that I have received it.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:44:25 PM »
My doctor's office called me in early February and set an appointment for 2/4/2021 at one of their Urgent Care facilities; they then set me up for #2 shot (Pfizer) for 2/25/21. Less than 30 minutes each time. I wish that all of you could have as smooth, reaction-free, vaccination.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:29:26 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:48:16 PM »
I had two doses of Moderna, 1/26 and 2/23. Partly for self- protection and partly to help the cause of stopping the spread. I am grateful to have been able to receive it.

Donna
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:14:12 PM »
Beloved Spouse and I got the Moderna vaccine in January/February. So have 98 percent of the people in our facility, the two percent advised by their doctors about allergies.
I have several words for people who refuse to get the vaccines. They are words that cannot be printed here.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolinaís Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 12:02:58 AM »
Beloved Spouse and I got the Moderna vaccine in January/February. So have 98 percent of the people in our facility, the two percent advised by their doctors about allergies.
I have several words for people who refuse to get the vaccines. They are words that cannot be printed here.
So judgemental. One of my shut ins was seriously considering not getting vaccinated. She goes out very little and in the past has had adverse reactions to vaccines. Would use your unprintable words for her? It's her body, shouldn't she have some say over what is done with it? Shouldn't she be allowed choice?

Turns out she consulted her doctor who strongly recommended vaccination, so she's setting up appointments for the shots anyway.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 01:56:51 AM »
I started seeking the shots back in early January mostly to get one for my 91-year-old mother. Scheduling mine was easy through mychart on the internet. My wife didn't have an account and I didn't know my mothers. After finally getting through on the phone, I spent about 40 minutes, mostly waiting, but got them scheduled, too, on Jan. 30. They let us know (through the internet) when doses were ready to schedule the second shot which we had on Mar. 4. We received the Moderna. My wife and i had some chills for about 30 minutes a few hours after the second shot. One son has had his first shot. Our other son isn't yet eligible in his state, but plans to get it as soon as possible. We are all planning to get together next August for our 50th wedding anniversary. We want to be safe.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:33:52 AM »
I started checking the city's web site as soon as I heard that coverage was expanding to seniors. Apparently very few knew that appointments were opening up. I got an appointment in two days (12 Jan) only 10 blocks from home. I was finished 5 minutes before my official appointment time. The next morning I felt a slight "pin jab" in my shoulder as I scrubbed in the shower where the needle had been. No other ill effects. It was Moderna so I got the next on 9 Feb. By then the line was much longer but it was still run very efficiently. I haven't met anyone resistant but only those who can't wait until they can get it and feel safe.

Thanks be to God for his creation which allows advance developments through science and medicine. Monday I had a knee replacement. It is painful now but getting better everyday. I wait in hope that soon I will soon be able to walk normally. It would have not been possible 100 ears ago.

Crippled but improving. Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
So judgemental. One of my shut ins was seriously considering not getting vaccinated. She goes out very little and in the past has had adverse reactions to vaccines. Would use your unprintable words for her? It's her body, shouldn't she have some say over what is done with it? Shouldn't she be allowed choice?

We need more information.  Would she like to kill her offspring?

I'm set to get my first dose of Moderna today.  My wife and oldest daughter are currently being hounded by me to get theirs (they hardly get out at all, so it's a little less of an issue for them, but I am of the opinion that getting everyone vaccinated as quickly as possible is the best thing we can do to stop mutations, so I'm pushing the issue).
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
My wife and I took an upgrade from our scheduled time which would have been last week upon getting a link from a local public official, have had both Pfizer doses without terrible side effects; along with Thomas I would advise going early in the week for the shot if you're an active priest/pastor.  I took a Sunday off of preaching having received shot two on a Saturday and it was the right decision - I celebrated the Eucharist but one of our vicars took the pulpit.  I was just a tad (more?) off the beam.

As stated elsewhere we have an active program of promoting the vaccine in the congregation during announcement time each week.  We have lost way too many people in the congregation and among its family members to this virus.  And we are also seeing the "long haul" issues afflict folks for months afterward, which seems like the virus piling on even after it's left the body.  We are a fully masked and temperature controlled worshiping group, but we do sing in masks.  I believe by being very up front about promoting the vaccination among the membership we have gotten a more complete roster of folks to take the shot in a mostly black and brown congregation.

Dave Benke

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 08:41:24 AM »
I am of the opinion that getting everyone vaccinated as quickly as possible is the best thing we can do to stop mutations, so I'm pushing the issue
Thank you.

Peace,
Jon

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »
I received my Moderna vaccine through the county sheriff's office in February/March and am not in full vax mode. My wife took one of our homebound members and was also able to get hers under the Massachusetts "ride along" program. She will get her second shot on April 17; I don't expect to see her in church the next day.

I've encouraged our members to be vaccinated as soon as possible. I believe everyone 16 and over will be eligible in Massachusetts beginning April 19.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 10:14:01 AM »
MJ and I had our 2nd Moderna last Thursday and Friday, as soon as it became available to us.  Got through the Good Friday service with no problem. Woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck! Achy, weak, racing heartbeat while at church getting ready for the Easter service. Slept off and on all afternoon. MJ's birthday on Sunday, so I dragged my carcass out for a quiet dinner Sat night. Woke up Sunday morning for the Easter sunrise service feeling like new!

My parents are 95 and 96. Absolutely no physical reactions to either dose! So, effects are different for various individuals.

We had a substantial congregational contingent that refused to wear masks and refused to comply with the State mandate, so they stopped coming to services. One officer on the council insisted on complaining about the violation of his constitutional rights! We tried to explain that we wear masks for the sake of our neighbor, particularly the widows who were frightened that some refused to mask. Stiff-necked people in every congregation, I guess.  😟
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs