Author Topic: Easter and the End of Mark's Gospel  (Read 3027 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: Easter and the End of Mark's Gospel
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
I think the problem of it intentionally ending there is that “gar.” I think there had to be another leaf that we’ve lost and that was supplied (probably from Peter’s preaching) with the other accounts summarized in the rest of the chapter. I think the Messianic secret is a thing of the past after the Triumphal Entry. Jesus openly proclaimed it was HIS City and He was its King. “Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Mk 12:10 Or more explicitly in Lk 19:38 “Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Significantly, though, he didn’t lead the crowds to storm the Praetorium but up to the Temple. He’s a King of a different kind, of course.

Jesus did not proclaim himself king. The crowds did. (The reference is Mark 11:10.) Crowds were often wrong about their understanding of Jesus. Could it have been the same crowd who later yelled, "Crucify him"?

I don't think that the "secret" of Jesus' identity is revealed until the centurion sees him die. That is what properly revealed him as the Son of God. That's what the disciples and the crowds couldn't get right before.

Speaking of the crowds, this is a fine message presented by the brother (I believe) of the former Supreme Court Justice Scalia:  https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2021/03/28/barabbas-a-holy-week-examen/?utm_source=The+Catholic+Thing+Daily&utm_campaign=6b70e42101-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_12_07_01_02_COPY_43&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_769a14e16a-6b70e42101-244195713.

Dave Benke
Very nice. Not sure how I never made the connection on the meaning of the name. But it fits perfectly. In school chapel we always have the whole congregation shout out "Crucify him!" when we do the Passion reading with 8th graders speaking the various parts. "No, not him. Release to us Barabbas!" Much to repent of.

One year during our Lenten Circuit sharing series, where five or six congregations move to one another's location (pre-COVID) and eat/fellowship and then worship together, we did a type of passion narrative with our youth group.   So it came to Jesus, Barabbas and Pilate, the rest of the kids being the crowd "crucify him" crew.  At the crowd-sourced vote that favored Jesus for crucifixion, the youth playing Barabbas jumped up in the air - this was a spontaneous non-scripted moment - shouted out "I'm FREE!  FREE!"  and sprinted down the aisle and out of the sanctuary.  He was a reverse-directed memento of us, freed because of the Eternal Son of the Father, carried back into the sanctuary of the Father's love.

Dave Benke

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »
I think the problem of it intentionally ending there is that “gar.” I think there had to be another leaf that we’ve lost and that was supplied (probably from Peter’s preaching) with the other accounts summarized in the rest of the chapter. I think the Messianic secret is a thing of the past after the Triumphal Entry. Jesus openly proclaimed it was HIS City and He was its King. “Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Mk 12:10 Or more explicitly in Lk 19:38 “Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Significantly, though, he didn’t lead the crowds to storm the Praetorium but up to the Temple. He’s a King of a different kind, of course.

Jesus did not proclaim himself king. The crowds did. (The reference is Mark 11:10.) Crowds were often wrong about their understanding of Jesus. Could it have been the same crowd who later yelled, "Crucify him"?

I don't think that the "secret" of Jesus' identity is revealed until the centurion sees him die. That is what properly revealed him as the Son of God. That's what the disciples and the crowds couldn't get right before.

Speaking of the crowds, this is a fine message presented by the brother (I believe) of the former Supreme Court Justice Scalia:  https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2021/03/28/barabbas-a-holy-week-examen/?utm_source=The+Catholic+Thing+Daily&utm_campaign=6b70e42101-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_12_07_01_02_COPY_43&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_769a14e16a-6b70e42101-244195713.

One tradition has "Barabbas" meaning: "bar abba" = son of the father.
Another, that goes back to Jerome, who saw it as "bar rabbin" = son of the master. (He expressed it in Latin: "filius magistri eorum.") "Rabbi" comes from the same "rb" root.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »

Dave Benke

An excellent homily. Fr. Paul Scalia is the son of Justice Scalia. He preached at his father's funeral, also an excellent homily. One memorable anecdote. One evening he came to his father and mother's home for dinner. His father related how he had gone to confession earlier and found himself in line at his son's booth. He immediately exited. He told his son something like, "I'll be d***d if I will confess to you."   ;D

Peace, JOHN

"My son, the Father"  Cliff Clavin and Cheers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1dRgYgZ5U0

Exactly! Some good friends have that relationship. Their son became a priest. (We attended the ordination.) The father of the son was ordained a deacon. (We also attended that service.) They are now living in the same town with the father attending masses led by the Father who is his son; and whom he can assist as a deacon. To add to the confusion, they both have the same name.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »
Just a FYI, I have a NRSV in very large font that has Apocrypha interspersed amongst the OT books much like other Anglican preparations, rather than the Lutheran arrangement as a group between Testaments.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new