Author Topic: Lessons Learned.  (Read 542 times)

mariemeyer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Lessons Learned.
« on: March 19, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »
Husband Bill and I both appreciated Peter Speckhard's January 2021 article, "Lessons learned from my uncle."

The statement pertaining to readers of ALPB publications caught my attention. "But they at least care about many of the same things, speak the same theological language, and take each other seriously," 

During the years I served on the ALPB, including years as secretary of the Board, we were a community of understanding.  Our church bodies were not in fellowship, yet we shared a fellowship of respect and understanding, even when there were times of disagreement.

Peter goes on to write, "If the LCMS had been able to hold two such different, good, thoughtful, sincere men together in a visible fellowship, mein Gott, what a church it would have been.   If only....

This forum is not an ALPB publication, but we are a collection of unique men and women.  Conversation here is like taking a walk together or spending a few moments together.  I agree there can never be enough persons like Peter's uncles, or the men who founded the ALPB and created the American Lutheran now the Forum Letter and Lutheran Forum.

As a committed LCMS woman I ask, "What are the lessons we can learn from the founders of the ALPB?"   "What can we aspire to be so that the legacy of the ALPB continues in the future?"   

What is the "If only.....?

Marie Otten Meyer   

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons Learned.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »
Marie:

We haven’t met, and I enjoyed this post of yours as I often enjoy reading and trying to decipher exactly what you are trying to say and in this crazy Synod, what you are trying NOT to say.  We can be SO rude to each other…..is tact lacking in the LCMS theological mind?  Best construction on your fellow Christian’s words or actions?  Define “best construction” as we look for ways to undermine and discourage those we either disagree with or don’t understand.  This is the primary reason I no longer participate in anything much more than Circuit wide…..we have a wonderful Circuit of incredibly bright and sharp and KIND Pastors, every one of them…..rarely have I experienced this outside of Arizona where all of my ministry was served and where I continue to live, worship and preach and preside when anyone will have me. 

One of the things I love about the ALPB is the ideal of civility amongst all of the clergy and laity in this Confessional ecclesia called Lutheran.  I found the same and more in the Society of the Holy Trinity until I dared preach at the Closing Eucharist of our General Retreat with our Senior presiding in the Chapel of one of our seminaries.  I give thanks for my salt-water District and the successive line of great Bishops who made it possible for me to remain in good standing.

If only……. I have a very long list.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:57:30 AM »
One of the things I love about the ALPB is the ideal of civility amongst all of the clergy and laity in this Confessional ecclesia called Lutheran.  I found the same and more in the Society of the Holy Trinity until I dared preach at the Closing Eucharist of our General Retreat with our Senior presiding in the Chapel of one of our seminaries.  I give thanks for my salt-water District and the successive line of great Bishops who made it possible for me to remain in good standing.

If only……. I have a very long list.

And you've shared a meal with us, and remained in good standing, too! :)
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:02:08 PM »
Brian:  and a wonderful meal and fellowship and conversation it was!  Should you be in the Mesa area, we should do it again at our home this time.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new