Author Topic: Quotes From Well-Known Theologians  (Read 1574 times)

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Quotes From Well-Known Theologians
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:02:22 AM »
It was the late, great Dr. Fred Danker who commented about the tension in our world:

"The Church......The Cosmos......They Clash"

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
Re: Quotes From Well-Known Theologians
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:25:12 AM »
Dr. Martin Luther wrote:

"Someone who truly believes that he has been reconciled to God because of Christ
will have a smile on his face, a twinkle in his eyes, and a song of praise on his lips."

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 12:51:31 PM »
Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote:

"Cheap grace is........

the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance
Baptism without church discipline
Holy Communion without confession

Cheap grace is..........

grace without discipleship, grace without the cross
grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate"

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 12:58:04 PM »
The relationship between the obedience of God's people and the triumph of God's will is not one of cause and effect but of cross and resurrection.-- John Howard Yoder

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 02:48:00 PM »
Has it ever occurred to you that you might be wrong? – Snoopy
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. Just another bozo on the bus, trying to get through the day without getting bruised.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »
Has it ever occurred to you that you might be wrong? – Snoopy
I have seen this quote thrown at conservatives since my college days, usually with the implication that such had never occurred to us since we are too arrogant to consider the possibility and that if it had occurred to us we would no longer support the positions that we do.

Speaking for myself alone, I cannot speak for anyone else, yes, it has occurred to me that I might be wrong. And I have on occasion rethought a position that I have taken and occasionally changed my mind. I do not consider myself to be infallible. But after giving the positions that I have taken prayerful and careful consideration, what can I do but stand on what I have come to believe is correct until or unless I am convinced otherwise. The alternative would be to take no stand at all.

Those who dispute and discard the traditional teachings of the church should also consider Snoopy's jibe.

While we are trading quotes, let me cite one:

"Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason (I do not accept the authority of popes and councils because they have contradicted each other), my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand I can do no other, so help me God. Amen." Dr. Martin Luther

To which I would add that I do not blindly accept the authority of the consensus of modern scholarship since that has often changed and contradicted itself.

Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 06:37:30 PM »
Pastor Fienen, every comment I make is not directed at you or your ilk. And I’m fairly certain that in his sweet little doggie heart, Snoopy is essentially a conservative, an unusual one, to be sure, but then he is a canine.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. Just another bozo on the bus, trying to get through the day without getting bruised.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 08:51:57 PM »
Pastor Fienen, every comment I make is not directed at you or your ilk. And I’m fairly certain that in his sweet little doggie heart, Snoopy is essentially a conservative, an unusual one, to be sure, but then he is a canine.
And not every comment I make is directed at you. My last post was remembering where I had heard that quote before. That was decades before I had ever heard of you or read anything you had written. And then I was relating my reaction to it. If my response applies to you, fine. If not, give it a pass. You do not need to take everything I post personally.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:12:48 AM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 12:29:54 AM »
In the Name of the Father and of the Son (+) and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen
                                                                                       (Unknown)
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »
In the Name of the Father and of the Son (+) and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen
                                                                                       (Unknown)

Jesus.  Matthew 28:19
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
Mark Allan Powell wrote:

When Jesus says, "the kingdom of God is at hand, repent and believe in the gospel"
he means something like, "God is ready and willing to rule our lives...right here & now."

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 11:41:28 PM »
Clint Eastwood (well okay "Dirty Harry"):  "A man's gotta know his limitations."   

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 12:14:17 AM »
It's a longish quote, but probably my second favorite one from Robert Capon. (My favorite is in my tag line.)

… almost nobody resists the temptation to jazz up the humanity of Christ. The true paradigm of the ordinary American view of Jesus is Superman: “Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It's Superman! Strange visitor from another planet, who came to earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American Way.” If that isn't popular christology, I'll eat my hat. Jesus – gentle, meek and mild, but with secret, souped-up, more-than‑human insides – bumbles around for thirty-three years, nearly gets himself done in for good by the Kryptonite Kross, but at the last minute, struggles into the phone booth of the Empty Tomb, changes into his Easter suit and, with a single bound, leaps back up to the planet Heaven. It's got it all – including, just so you shouldn't miss the lesson, kiddies: He never once touches Lois Lane.

You think that's funny? Don't laugh. The human race is, was and probably always will be deeply unwilling to accept a human messiah. We don't want to be saved in our humanity; we want to be fished out of it. We crucified Jesus, not because he was God, but because he blasphemed: He claimed to be God and then failed to come up to our standards for assessing the claim. It's not that we weren't looking for the Messiah; it's just that he wasn't what we were looking for. Our kind of Messiah would come down from a cross. He would carry a folding phone booth in his back pocket. He wouldn't do a stupid thing like rising from the dead. He would do a smart thing like never dying. [Hunting the Divine Fox, pp. 90-91]
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 07:52:19 AM »
It's a longish quote, but probably my second favorite one from Robert Capon. (My favorite is in my tag line.)

… almost nobody resists the temptation to jazz up the humanity of Christ. The true paradigm of the ordinary American view of Jesus is Superman: “Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It's Superman! Strange visitor from another planet, who came to earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American Way.” If that isn't popular christology, I'll eat my hat. Jesus – gentle, meek and mild, but with secret, souped-up, more-than‑human insides – bumbles around for thirty-three years, nearly gets himself done in for good by the Kryptonite Kross, but at the last minute, struggles into the phone booth of the Empty Tomb, changes into his Easter suit and, with a single bound, leaps back up to the planet Heaven. It's got it all – including, just so you shouldn't miss the lesson, kiddies: He never once touches Lois Lane.

You think that's funny? Don't laugh. The human race is, was and probably always will be deeply unwilling to accept a human messiah. We don't want to be saved in our humanity; we want to be fished out of it. We crucified Jesus, not because he was God, but because he blasphemed: He claimed to be God and then failed to come up to our standards for assessing the claim. It's not that we weren't looking for the Messiah; it's just that he wasn't what we were looking for. Our kind of Messiah would come down from a cross. He would carry a folding phone booth in his back pocket. He wouldn't do a stupid thing like rising from the dead. He would do a smart thing like never dying. [Hunting the Divine Fox, pp. 90-91]

[Pointing to the classroom crucifix,] "There's your Messiah, hanging dead on a tree."  Norman E. Nagel

Also, "Faith talk is gift talk. Faith never talks about itself. Faith talks about Jesus and His gifts."

Speaking of the gifts: " He gives you the whole lot. Then He turns around and gives you more. Nonsense! A mathematical impossibility... But isn't that just like Jesus."

"You know you've heard the Gospel proclaimed when you walk out thinking, ' Wow! What a Jesus!'" One walked out of every Nagel class thinking, "Wow! What a Jesus!"-

BTW, all of the above quotes must be spoken aloud in a deep, bass tone.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:36:19 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs