Author Topic: "When you give alms...." A.D. 2021  (Read 453 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
"When you give alms...." A.D. 2021
« on: March 18, 2021, 06:58:11 PM »
This week many of us received (or will shortly receive) the $1400.00 per person stimulus checks.

An appropriate Lenten offering might be to donate at least 10% of this unexpected money to the local congregation, a seminary, Lutheran World Relief, etc.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Pr. Terry Culler

• View Profile
Re: "When you give alms...." A.D. 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
I agree.  My wife and I have decided to give all of ours away.  Sending money to people who are employed and living well enough is stupid and insulting.  I've done nothing to earn this money so I will in no way benefit from it.
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:12:30 PM »
I agree.  My wife and I have decided to give all of ours away.  Sending money to people who are employed and living well enough is stupid and insulting.  I've done nothing to earn this money so I will in no way benefit from it.

I admire and applaud the sentiment. Do you feel the same way about money you might inherit?
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »

I admire and applaud the sentiment. Do you feel the same way about money you might inherit?

In the 20/20 of hindsight I should have made at least a 10% gift of inherited money after my final parent's repose over a decade ago.

At the risk of sounding like the self-condemned Pharisee, part of my repentance was to offer 10% of the proceeds of the public sale/auction many years later.

I was blessed to have known parishioners who donated even higher percentages of inherited monies.  One of them (now of blessed Memory) gave thousands to the ELCA Department of Communications for the digitizing and redistribution of the Davey and Goliath Easter program.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 10:32:44 PM »
Ahem.
Itís your money in the first place.
Itís still your money now.

Peter (Putting mine all on rouge) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

Pr. Terry Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:51 AM »

Joan and I were blessed by families that had little to leave, so it wasn't much of an issue for us.  On your point though, inherited money is not in the public treasury and it is not, therefore, being taken from one person and given to another, in this situation irrespective of need.  The very little bit we did inherit (well under 5 figures for both families combined) was tithed to the church.
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »
Sent a piece of our stimulus check to the local food ministry yesterday. More will go elsewhere.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS