Author Topic: Valpo mascot task force  (Read 8706 times)

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Valpo mascot task force
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »
Some other unique mascots I've run into. Yuma High School students are known as "the criminals." From 1910-1913 the high school met at the abandoned territorial prison in Yuma. An opposing team started calling them "criminals" and the name stuck. It became official in 1917. (The high school is older than the state. Arizona's statehood came in 1912, the last of the coterminous states to enter the union.)

Yuba City High School are "the Honkers." Named for the Canadian Geese that migrate over the city each season.

My daughter is a student at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas.  The Ichabods.

J.L. Precup

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »
The students at the University of California San Diego are the Tritons.  It makes sense living alongside the Pacific Ocean.
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »
Don't know if they still exist but the Cedar Rapids Kernels were a Class A minor league team.  I think they still are but I know that covid hasn't been kind to the minor leagues. 

I kind of hope that VU does pick the Kernels as a name because then the Cedar Rapids Kernels could charge them for the name and then keep the team afloat while fans aren't allowed into the games. 

Jeremy

So here's the deal for oldster baseball fans in NY Metro.  We have a Mets team in Brooklyn - the Cyclones; and a Yankee team in Staten Island - the Yankees, and an independent team on Long Island - the Ducks, plus the two teams playing at those big stadiums in Queens and the Bronx.  Plus a team in Dutchess County about an hour north.

The Cyclones are by far the best bet for the money because they're on Coney Island (a part of Brooklyn) and you get the rides (including the Cyclone), and the Nathan's hot dogs, and normally fireworks at the end, and a ton of giveaways, and a cheap ticket right near the beach on a summer night.  Ambience is unmatchable, really.   Lots of regulars. 

The Mets - we have a partial season ticket package, so with the small percentage of fans allowed they're telling us we may see some games from seats somewhere inside the stadium at some time.  Hello?  We've already paid for those tickets LAST year.  Get those shots in those arms, Joe Biden!  We're hoping to see maybe half the games we paid for.  But they have given us all-device access to the games on TV, for whatever that's worth.  I think the minors will by and large make it. 

When it comes to mascots, one of the Mets latest additions had always worn the number 00(Zero), but when he found out Mr. Met had the number he agreed not to wear it and took 99.  Mr. Met has 00.  In other words, Mr. Met the Mascot received the privilege given to a hall of fame player.   That, my friends, is a powerful mascot.  In fact, one of my buddies who is a dead-bang, dead-wrong Yankee fan told me that he had lost his children to the Mets.  What?  How?  They want to see Mr. Met, was the answer.  He's their guy.  They love him.

I should state for the record that my wife and I have photos taken with Mr. and Mrs. Met, which are are right there next to our Mets Bobblehead Collection, which is next to the Atlantic District Praesidium Bobbleheads - me and my two homeboys.  Yes, mascots do count for something.

Dave Benke

I love minor league baseball!  Growing up in MD and VA meant that we were in the Carolina League (Durham, Kinston, Winston Salem NC, Salem VA, Hagerstown MD, and a few others that came and went.  Dad was a pastor in Hagerstown MD and the Hagerstown Suns became a franchise when we were there.  They were the Orioles' A Ball team.  In a few years, the Frederick (MD) Keys were the AA team in the Eastern League.  For a few years the A Ball team would play a game at 10am, the Frederick game would begin at 3p and the day would end with the Orioles playing at Memorial Stadium at 7 or 7:30.  Buses from Hagerstown and Frederick were busy that day.  Francis Scott Key was from Frederick, so they became the Keys.  Have no idea why Hagerstown was the Suns, but we loved them. 

Dad was the team chaplain for the Suns.  He led weekly worship in the bullpen for the Suns and whoever from the other team wanted to be there.  In the summer Dad would drop my brother and I off at the ballpark and then Dad would go to make a visit or have a meeting or something and then come back when that was over.  My brother and I had the run of the ballpark but we also had to work.  There was a covered grandstand with a little fence at the back to keep balls from rolling off onto fans at the concession stand below.  My brother and I would walk on the roof of the grandstand and fetch the foul balls.  The GM would then determine if the balls would be returned to play or would go in the batting practice ball pile.  We were paid in Coke and Esskay hot dogs, the official hot dog of the Bal'mer Orioles. 

Maybe the best moment was on a Monday or Tuesday night.  The Orioles had the day off.  Cal Ripken's brother Billy was playing for Hagerstown.  The Orioles' GM and Cal Ripken drove from Baltimore to watch Billy and the others.  Cal was sitting in the press box and when I walked in at the 3rd inning to do my work.  The Suns' GM says, "Hey Jeremy, want to meet Cal Ripken?"  "Good evening, Mr. Ripken.  Um...Was your trip from Baltimore okay?"  "It was just fine.  Thanks for asking.  This is a nice ballpark your team has here."  Then he signed a baseball for me.  And he called the team MY team as I was standing with the GM and assistant GM as if I was a part of that!  It was so awesome!

Dad took a call to Woodbridge VA, which is in Prince William County, VA.  They had an A Ball team in the Carolina League as well.  That team had been the Alexandria Dukes, a Pittsburgh farm team.  Then Prince William County built a bigger stadium and lured the Dukes there.  But then Pittsburgh found a different team and the Yankees reached a deal with the now-Prince William Cannons.  The Manassas battlefield is in PW County.  They had pinstripe uniforms and a PW hat that had interlocking letters like the NY hat.  Somehow the Yankees got a different franchise and PW was the affiliate for the Cardinals.  Dad was thrilled because he and Mom love the Cardinals.  But then the Montreal Expos became the Puerto Rico Expos and then became the Washington Nats.  It became natural for the PW Cannons to be the affiliate for Washington. 

The original mascot was Prince Willie, which was a person wearing a baseball uniform and a gigantic foam rubber head, which smelled like sweat, and yes, in high school, I was second string Prince Willie.  My regular job was selling beer in the stands- $2 for a can of Bud Light or Miller Lite.  Then to connect to Cannons a little more, Boomer was born and he was a giant cannonball.  He became Prince Willie's sidekick for a time until Prince Willie just stopped showing up.  (His head was probably too rancid.)  Then they stopped being the Prince William Cannons and became the Potomac Cannons, as a way of being more regional to include Fairfax CO a bit more.  And when they became the affiliate for Washington, they became the Potomac Nationals, or the P-Nats.  I have no idea what their current mascot is. 

All of that is to say, VU should still be the Crusaders.  I realize it impacts me in no way, but it is just so dumb. 

Jeremy

A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
Don't know if they still exist but the Cedar Rapids Kernels were a Class A minor league team.  I think they still are but I know that covid hasn't been kind to the minor leagues. 

I kind of hope that VU does pick the Kernels as a name because then the Cedar Rapids Kernels could charge them for the name and then keep the team afloat while fans aren't allowed into the games. 

Jeremy

So here's the deal for oldster baseball fans in NY Metro.  We have a Mets team in Brooklyn - the Cyclones; and a Yankee team in Staten Island - the Yankees, and an independent team on Long Island - the Ducks, plus the two teams playing at those big stadiums in Queens and the Bronx.  Plus a team in Dutchess County about an hour north.

The Cyclones are by far the best bet for the money because they're on Coney Island (a part of Brooklyn) and you get the rides (including the Cyclone), and the Nathan's hot dogs, and normally fireworks at the end, and a ton of giveaways, and a cheap ticket right near the beach on a summer night.  Ambience is unmatchable, really.   Lots of regulars. 

The Mets - we have a partial season ticket package, so with the small percentage of fans allowed they're telling us we may see some games from seats somewhere inside the stadium at some time.  Hello?  We've already paid for those tickets LAST year.  Get those shots in those arms, Joe Biden!  We're hoping to see maybe half the games we paid for.  But they have given us all-device access to the games on TV, for whatever that's worth.  I think the minors will by and large make it. 

When it comes to mascots, one of the Mets latest additions had always worn the number 00(Zero), but when he found out Mr. Met had the number he agreed not to wear it and took 99.  Mr. Met has 00.  In other words, Mr. Met the Mascot received the privilege given to a hall of fame player.   That, my friends, is a powerful mascot.  In fact, one of my buddies who is a dead-bang, dead-wrong Yankee fan told me that he had lost his children to the Mets.  What?  How?  They want to see Mr. Met, was the answer.  He's their guy.  They love him.

I should state for the record that my wife and I have photos taken with Mr. and Mrs. Met, which are are right there next to our Mets Bobblehead Collection, which is next to the Atlantic District Praesidium Bobbleheads - me and my two homeboys.  Yes, mascots do count for something.

Dave Benke

I love minor league baseball!  Growing up in MD and VA meant that we were in the Carolina League (Durham, Kinston, Winston Salem NC, Salem VA, Hagerstown MD, and a few others that came and went.  Dad was a pastor in Hagerstown MD and the Hagerstown Suns became a franchise when we were there.  They were the Orioles' A Ball team.  In a few years, the Frederick (MD) Keys were the AA team in the Eastern League.  For a few years the A Ball team would play a game at 10am, the Frederick game would begin at 3p and the day would end with the Orioles playing at Memorial Stadium at 7 or 7:30.  Buses from Hagerstown and Frederick were busy that day.  Francis Scott Key was from Frederick, so they became the Keys.  Have no idea why Hagerstown was the Suns, but we loved them. 

Dad was the team chaplain for the Suns.  He led weekly worship in the bullpen for the Suns and whoever from the other team wanted to be there.  In the summer Dad would drop my brother and I off at the ballpark and then Dad would go to make a visit or have a meeting or something and then come back when that was over.  My brother and I had the run of the ballpark but we also had to work.  There was a covered grandstand with a little fence at the back to keep balls from rolling off onto fans at the concession stand below.  My brother and I would walk on the roof of the grandstand and fetch the foul balls.  The GM would then determine if the balls would be returned to play or would go in the batting practice ball pile.  We were paid in Coke and Esskay hot dogs, the official hot dog of the Bal'mer Orioles. 

Maybe the best moment was on a Monday or Tuesday night.  The Orioles had the day off.  Cal Ripken's brother Billy was playing for Hagerstown.  The Orioles' GM and Cal Ripken drove from Baltimore to watch Billy and the others.  Cal was sitting in the press box and when I walked in at the 3rd inning to do my work.  The Suns' GM says, "Hey Jeremy, want to meet Cal Ripken?"  "Good evening, Mr. Ripken.  Um...Was your trip from Baltimore okay?"  "It was just fine.  Thanks for asking.  This is a nice ballpark your team has here."  Then he signed a baseball for me.  And he called the team MY team as I was standing with the GM and assistant GM as if I was a part of that!  It was so awesome!

Dad took a call to Woodbridge VA, which is in Prince William County, VA.  They had an A Ball team in the Carolina League as well.  That team had been the Alexandria Dukes, a Pittsburgh farm team.  Then Prince William County built a bigger stadium and lured the Dukes there.  But then Pittsburgh found a different team and the Yankees reached a deal with the now-Prince William Cannons.  The Manassas battlefield is in PW County.  They had pinstripe uniforms and a PW hat that had interlocking letters like the NY hat.  Somehow the Yankees got a different franchise and PW was the affiliate for the Cardinals.  Dad was thrilled because he and Mom love the Cardinals.  But then the Montreal Expos became the Puerto Rico Expos and then became the Washington Nats.  It became natural for the PW Cannons to be the affiliate for Washington. 

The original mascot was Prince Willie, which was a person wearing a baseball uniform and a gigantic foam rubber head, which smelled like sweat, and yes, in high school, I was second string Prince Willie.  My regular job was selling beer in the stands- $2 for a can of Bud Light or Miller Lite.  Then to connect to Cannons a little more, Boomer was born and he was a giant cannonball.  He became Prince Willie's sidekick for a time until Prince Willie just stopped showing up.  (His head was probably too rancid.)  Then they stopped being the Prince William Cannons and became the Potomac Cannons, as a way of being more regional to include Fairfax CO a bit more.  And when they became the affiliate for Washington, they became the Potomac Nationals, or the P-Nats.  I have no idea what their current mascot is. 

All of that is to say, VU should still be the Crusaders.  I realize it impacts me in no way, but it is just so dumb. 

Jeremy

A Cal Ripken ball is a serious item in the scheme of life.  I have a Hank Aaron and a Warren Spahn.  Those are serious items in the scheme of life for a Milwaukee Braves fan.  You'd like the Cyclones - they have a guy with a King's crown who kind of emcees the between innings stuff - Kings County; one nite we took our church folks and it was Merengue Night - which was very satisfactory for the members from the Dominican Republic.  And most of the players on the teams, not by chance.

Dave Benke

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2021, 11:27:55 AM »
One of the perks of attending Concordia Jr. College in Milwaukee was that we were
within walking distance of Milwaukee County Stadium, Home of the Braves.

One night I waited outside the Milwaukee Braves locker room and got free autographs
from Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, Eddie Matthews, Del Crandall, Johnny Logan, Billy
Bruton, Lew Burdette, Andy Pafko and 10 other Braves.

The next night I stood outside the L.A Dodgers locker room and received free autographs
Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Duke Snider, Junior Gilliam, Gil Hodges, Johnny Podres,
Frank Howard and l2 other Dodgers.

Bottom Line:  After the game when the players are showered and shaved and wearing
suits and ties,  they enjoy signing autographs for free.......that was true in 1960
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 11:31:40 AM by Dave Likeness »

Pr. Terry Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2021, 11:46:45 AM »
The Hagerstown team were the Suns because they were originally based in Myrtle Beach, SC--supposedly the place with the most sunny days on the east coast.  The team was part of the minor league purges this year.  They hadn't been doing well for years because the owners kept trying to move the team and finally people just stopped going.  Some folks are attempting to start a team associated with a non-MLB related league.  I've always found Class A ball to be rather like really good Legion ball.  When I was growing up there were all sorts of amateur leagues around and I spent many a Sunday afternoon watching guys play baseball who would go back to being mechanics, insurance salesmen and factory workers on Monday.  I wish we could recover those days.  Maybe we'll have a league in the New Jerusalem  :-\
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2021, 11:47:30 AM »
The night I got the Dodger autographs, one of Frank Howard's fraternity brothers from
Ohio State University was standing outside the locker room for Frank.   He said to me
that he had a car and was driving Frank to his hotel downtown. He asked if I wanted to
go with them and I said yes.  So I got to talk with Frank Howard for awhile.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2021, 12:53:28 PM »
As an aspect of our culture, it's amazing how well I/we remember any encounter with stars/celebrities, and consider them something like a blessing, to have been inside the ropes where they live, and we remember these things. 

One of the agencies on which I serve on the board takes a box at a Mets game, and when Mr. Met comes in (which he does, to the luxury box folks), everybody was up and at 'em immediately for those pics.  And Mr. Met answered us with not one word.

At the same time in the luxury box area, the old Mets will show up, and then you can hobnob with John Franco or Tim Teufel or Darryl for example among the Mets luminaries.  So the last time, they came in, and I went over to Teufel and asked where he played in HS.  Which I already knew.  I told him that I was the baseball coach at Martin Luther in Queens when he was playing.  And we were in the same league, the Thruway League.  He remembered Martin Luther for that reason.  So, I told him, which was true, that we had heard all about him.  At the time he was a third-baseman.  And we were told, do not let that guy beat you - he will take you downtown in a heartbeat.  John Franco, listening, says, "Teufel had power?  When was this?"  Teufel replies - "he's right - I hit cleanup and I could take any of you idiots out of the yard."  Lots of laughter. So I go on, "Well, not that day.  Because I told our pitcher to walk you every time you came up.  Which we did.  And we won, 3-2."

Notable to me is that
a) I remember that event clearly, and - so do the members of that team, who are now 65. 
b) I remember the score of the game, and that we beat Tim Teufel's Team.

And I have no idea what I had for breakfast this morning.  Who's on first?

Dave Benke

Jeremy_Loesch

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
A Tim Teufel story...he bounced around to various teams. In 1992 he played for the Padres. The Padres were in Chicago in early September. I was at RF for Kapelle practice for the opening service. It was a beautiful day, sunny, not too hot. My two best friends and I decided to skip choir practice to go to Wrigley to watch the game. We bought tickets way up high. The game wasn't too memorable except that the game went 14 innings. Harry Caray sang the 7th inning stretch twice. Many fans were leaving, so we ended up sitting in box seats in the 11th inning
 The Padres won because Tim Tuefel hit a solo home run in the top of the 14th. What a beautiful memory with my friends, baseball, and Old Style.

Jeremy

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »
A Tim Teufel story...he bounced around to various teams. In 1992 he played for the Padres. The Padres were in Chicago in early September. I was at RF for Kapelle practice for the opening service. It was a beautiful day, sunny, not too hot. My two best friends and I decided to skip choir practice to go to Wrigley to watch the game. We bought tickets way up high. The game wasn't too memorable except that the game went 14 innings. Harry Caray sang the 7th inning stretch twice. Many fans were leaving, so we ended up sitting in box seats in the 11th inning
 The Padres won because Tim Tuefel hit a solo home run in the top of the 14th. What a beautiful memory with my friends, baseball, and Old Style.

Jeremy

Great story!  Oddly I have a 1992 Cubs game story in which Harry sang the 7th inning stretch twice - weird science.  This was earlier in the year, and the only time I have ever been to Wrigley.  It was my mother's 80th birthday, and we negotiated a family gathering - my brother Bob was in Chicagoland - to celebrate.  She had never been to a major league game before.  We had decent upper area seats.  We had set it up for her name to be on the birthday board which is part of the 7th inning ceremonial.  So  come the seventh, Harry sings and up her name goes - Dorothea Benke 80th birthday - and she was completely amazed, as the cheers went up from the faithful.  "All for you, mom," we assured her.  And the game went 17 innings. So in inning 14, there she is again.  And they ran out of stuff to do, so her name came back up two more times before the merciful ending to the game.  I have no idea which team won, but she did.  For sure.

Dave Benke