Author Topic: Equality Act  (Read 3912 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Re: Equality Act
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2021, 08:02:07 PM »
The filibuster was indeed used as a racist tool by Democrats to great effect for decades. Warren is correct that this is its history.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
The filibuster was indeed used as a racist tool by Democrats to great effect for decades. Warren is correct that this is its history.
As was every facet of constitutional government.

I find it amusing for a people to argue against the filibuster on the grounds that the majority rules when every lynching took place on those grounds.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »
A cautionary tale from Canada.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/stacey-lennox/2021/03/18/a-canadian-father-is-jailed-for-violating-a-court-order-to-use-his-trans-childs-preferred-pronouns-n1433493

This man wanted his daughter to wait until she was an adult to transition to becoming a boy because many trans teens revert back once out of puberty and adolescence. Too bad, he was overruled, and he dared to give interviews in which he referred to his daughter as his daughter and used feminine pronouns, which garnered a warrant for his arrest and jail time for family violence.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 05:23:47 PM »
A cautionary tale from Canada.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/stacey-lennox/2021/03/18/a-canadian-father-is-jailed-for-violating-a-court-order-to-use-his-trans-childs-preferred-pronouns-n1433493

This man wanted his daughter to wait until she was an adult to transition to becoming a boy because many trans teens revert back once out of puberty and adolescence. Too bad, he was overruled, and he dared to give interviews in which he referred to his daughter as his daughter and used feminine pronouns, which garnered a warrant for his arrest and jail time for family violence.

Although Canada is a democracy, I find that it is far more draconian in enforcing its laws.  Another story I heard recently was of a pastor jailed for preaching during the pandemic (https://news.yahoo.com/pastor-jailed-canada-preaching-during-012900428.html). I hope that such ideas are not picked up on the other side of the boarder. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 09:11:33 AM »
I have read President Harrison on this subject and followed his reading suggestion on the LCMS discussion by the Commission on Theology and Church Relations.  Now I am reading the ELCA 2017 Statement on Human Rights.   

http://download.elca.org/ELCA%20Resource%20Repository/Human_Rights_SM.pdf?_ga=2.41076578.1141946714.1558471958-185894750.1558471958

The subject is worthy of serious discussion.  The two Lutheran church bodies view the subject in different ways. This is a delicate matter for those of us who have family members in different Lutheran churches.  How do we deal with each other in love when we have different institutional affiliations?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:13:07 AM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
I have read President Harrison on this subject and followed his reading suggestion on the LCMS discussion by the Commission on Theology and Church Relations.  Now I am reading the ELCA 2017 Statement on Human Rights.   

http://download.elca.org/ELCA%20Resource%20Repository/Human_Rights_SM.pdf?_ga=2.41076578.1141946714.1558471958-185894750.1558471958

The subject is worthy of serious discussion.  The two Lutheran church bodies view the subject in different ways. This is a delicate matter for those of us who have family members in different Lutheran churches.  How do we deal with each other in love when we have different institutional affiliations?

I will grant that I have no family members who belong to the ELCA. I do have family who are members of a non-denominational evangelical church, some who are members of no church, some who are atheist, some who are right wing, others who are die hard Democrats (including two who were honored at the White House by President Obama for their work on his first campaign) and friends who are cover the gamut as well.

How do we deal with each other in love? By loving each other. For all of our differences and disagreements we are family and we respect one another's viewpoints. Do I think some of them are wrong? Yeah. So? In my mind, tolerance means others have the right to be wrong, so I let them be wrong. (They do me the same courtesy.) We mutually respect one another and simply agree that there are places where we are going to disagree, but we don't need to be disagreeable.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 12:57:16 PM »
How do we deal with each other in love when we have different institutional affiliations?

The way Christ taught us and its reinforcement by His apostles including the Apostle Paul.
There is no sectarianism in Christ's command to love one another.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »
I think that we also try to help those who do not agree with our position to nevertheless respect our choices and honor our convictions.  We hope that in Christian charity, as per the Eighth Commandment, they would put the best construction on how we live out our faith, assuming that we can love our neighbor even when we don't agree with them or agree with how they live. Taking firm stances on issues of sexuality and gender does not mean that we hate those who do not agree with these stances.  And I hope that they would be understanding of our need to be true to our convictions within our faith-based institutions, willing to see the government make allowances (as they have in the past). 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 10:27:55 PM »
I just read an interesting article on the possible impact of the Equality Act on Black Churches and the Black community by Dr. Jacqueline C. Rivers, "The Equality Act Hurts the Black Church". Jacqueline C. Rivers, PhD, the director of the Seymour Institute for Black Church and Policy Studies, earned her doctorate in Afrcan-American Studies and Sociology at Harvard University. She is a doctoral fellow in the Multidisciplinary Program in Inequality & Social Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School. She was the founder and executive director of MathPower, a leading community-based nonprofit in Boston for mathematics education reform in urban schools. From 2001 to 2004 she served as executive director for the National TenPoint Leadership Foundation.

Dr. Rivers points out the valuable role that Black churches play in the Black community not only for their members but for the larger community including non members. Black churches also usually hold traditional beliefs about marriage and sexuality. Provisions of the Equality Act could damage the ability of Black churches to carry out their vital role in the social safety net of their communities, a role that will not easily be replaced. It is a very good article and I urge it be read.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:31:51 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS