Author Topic: Missionary Spies: A book about intelligence gathering - and a prominent Lutheran  (Read 840 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
We know, although I have forgotten the name, that a German pastor running a mission to seafarers on the New Jersey Waterfront in the early 1940s was deported on suspicion of spying for the Nazis. I believe part of his work was helping German spies who arrived here as seamen, but left the port to establish themselves in the U.S.

You're thinking of Carl Krepper. There's a book about him called The Nazi Spy Pastor: Carl Krepper and the War in America, by J. Francis Watson. I wrote a review of it a few years ago for (I think) Lutheran Quarterly. Interesting story. Interesting book, though the book bogs down in places and could have used a good editor.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
J. Francis Watson Has been a New Jersey synod pastor. And Iím not the least bit surprised to learn that he couldíve used a good editor.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
One of the most active OSS operatives in the book is Eddy. He had been in the Marines in World War I, then became a missionary, then managed to cleverly combine both of his professions. During his work in the Middle East, he was every bit as much a soldier as a missionary.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.