Author Topic: Valpo mascot task force  (Read 13726 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Valpo mascot task force
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »
Koalas are sedentary because they are drugged.  Eucalyptus leaves are narcotic.  How much better to be named after a mighty hunter?  Go Nimrods!

But Nimrod was a male. Not inclusive enough.
How do you know? Ancient Hebrew lacks the array of pronouns to account for all the possibilities.

Daniel Lee Gard

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 03:30:42 PM »
Koalas are sedentary because they are drugged.  Eucalyptus leaves are narcotic.  How much better to be named after a mighty hunter?  Go Nimrods!

How do you know? Ancient Hebrew lacks the array of pronouns to account for all the possibilities.

"My name is Nimrod and my personal pronoun identity is................."

George Rahn

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »
I don't know whether the wombat was proposed as a suggestion for a mascot.  If not, consider this a possibility....or not.  lol

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:27 PM »
Capital University also has a Crusader as mascot.  They have begun a similar process of study.  (Unless they have already completed the process.) Capital is located in the heavily Jewish suburb of Columbus, Ohio, name Bexlley.  Since Capital is affiliated with the ELCA, I think it should definitely change its mascot.  In think Capital's divinity school, known as Trinity Lutheran Seminary, has a statue of Luther.  Given his anti-Semitism, I also think that is an insult to the Jewish community of Bexley, and should be removed.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 10:15:56 PM »
Pastor Charlton, you remember that the ELCA and the Lutheran World Federation has dealt directly and responsibly and with a great sense of repentance and sorrow with Luther’s writing concerning the Jews.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Rebekah Curtis

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 10:16:44 PM »
Marginally topical but starting a thread seems like such a commitment . . . does anybody know anything about The Cresset going out of publication?

(Strong but unobjectionable mascot suggestions: the Ball Bearings. The I-beams. The Wheels and Axles. The Femurs.)

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 10:38:49 PM »
To avoid partisanship or cultural vagaries, and given the nature of Valpo's stands on many things:
Valpo Enigmas
Valpo Ambiguities

I like the KulturKampf mascot suggestions, not with animals, but with hypostatic ideas:
Enigma = mascot/costume is a question mark (?)
Ambiguities = mascot/costume is two question marks (??) or two arrows pointed in opposite directions

Then Valpo could play Hillsdale, team
The Truth (or The Verity, same thing) = a belt (ephesians 6) or
The Absolutes = I haven't figured costume out yet or
The Absolute Truth = a belt with studs
The Answer = Exclamation points

We have a local team very near my home, St. John's University.  They switched from the RedMen (which if you think about it was doubly bad) to The Red Storm. 
My belief is they didn't want to change the school colors, so they came up with something that isn't an actual thing  =  The Red Storm. 
Haven't seen one, sounds fungal though.

Semi-finally, I have spent a calendar day with my siblings determining the mascot/name of our Lutheran Grade School, Christ Memorial in Milwaukee.  We wore black and gold, and my sister and sister-in-law could recite the cheers which ended "Hail to the Black and Gold."  But after serious outreach to old people who could still even remember the school at all, we were The Tigers.  Black and gold stripes.  Nice.  We won a lot.  We won in fact almost all the time. 
But we didn't remember that we were the Tigers.  We were Christ Memorial - CM.  Black and Gold Champions.

I think the same kind of thing is the case at Valpo.  That's what my family members, many of whom are graduates, go back to - Valpo.  Not as much the Crusaders; Valpo.  If the Cresset goes out of publication, that to me is a more serious topic and loss.  That's philosophical/theological/academic anchor.  Why stop that?  But the Crusader could be a Knight.  My favorite is SW's - The Valpo Alpos.

Finally, I grew up in Milwaukee in the 50s.  And we could go to the home team's baseball games for 35 cents.  So we went to every doubleheader - 17 1/2 cents per game.  There were a lot of those then.  And we went for batting practice and stayed til the final out.  So that's where we - the northside mates - learned the national anthem.  "The land of the free," we belted it out with our little hands over our hearts, "and the hoomme of the ...........Braves."  Play ball.

Dave Benke

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »

The legions familiar with Bugs Bunny but not with the Bible would envision the Nimrods as a bunch of Elmer Fudds. He definitely is an old white guy.

Rebekah Curtis

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 11:06:50 PM »
If the Cresset goes out of publication, that to me is a more serious topic and loss.  That's philosophical/theological/academic anchor.  Why stop that?

Forgot link. Just the note at the top of the page. http://thecresset.org/index.html

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 11:46:08 PM »

When I was at Duquesne University, our men's teams were the Dukes, the women the Duchesses. The male predominance took over and the Duchesses became Dukes. I worried about our conference foes--the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Massachusetts Minutemen. Rhode Island finessed the issue by dubbing their women the Wrams.

The University of Arkansas at Monticello fields the Boll Weevils and the Cotton Blossoms. On the basis of an overheard conversation at Mayo Clinic only, I believe that men also play under the Cotton Blossoms monicker.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 11:53:10 PM »
If the Cresset goes out of publication, that to me is a more serious topic and loss.  That's philosophical/theological/academic anchor.  Why stop that?

Forgot link. Just the note at the top of the page. http://thecresset.org/index.html
Yes, that is a worrying question, I checked their site and can see that The Cresset is a real vehicle of expression of the University's mission and seriousness.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:54:41 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 06:39:33 AM »
This has been an interesting diversion. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1063118-how-the-top-50-college-football-programs-got-their-nicknames

One of my friends is a Texas A & M fan.  Here is the scoop on the Aggies.

Rumor has it that the Aggies have a pretty violent origin.

"...when Lawrence Sullivan Ross became President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College, it was under the threat of being shut down.  Lucky, Governor Ross would not have this and he went down to the Legislature and fought to keep his school open.  He got so angry that he punched a senator over the issue.  From then on, we have been known as the “Fighting Farmers” that later became the “Fighting Aggies.”
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:43:24 AM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:00 AM »

Yes, that is a worrying question, I checked their site and can see that The Cresset is a real vehicle of expression of the University's mission and seriousness.

Peace,
Michael

"Hiatus for the foreseeable future," is the descriptive.  With a new President chosen, maybe the future is visible and the Cresset continues.  Let's hope so.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
To avoid partisanship or cultural vagaries, and given the nature of Valpo's stands on many things:
Valpo Enigmas
Valpo Ambiguities

I like the KulturKampf mascot suggestions, not with animals, but with hypostatic ideas:
Enigma = mascot/costume is a question mark (?)
Ambiguities = mascot/costume is two question marks (??) or two arrows pointed in opposite directions

Then Valpo could play Hillsdale, team
The Truth (or The Verity, same thing) = a belt (ephesians 6) or
The Absolutes = I haven't figured costume out yet or
The Absolute Truth = a belt with studs
The Answer = Exclamation points

We have a local team very near my home, St. John's University.  They switched from the RedMen (which if you think about it was doubly bad) to The Red Storm. 
My belief is they didn't want to change the school colors, so they came up with something that isn't an actual thing  =  The Red Storm. 
Haven't seen one, sounds fungal though.

Semi-finally, I have spent a calendar day with my siblings determining the mascot/name of our Lutheran Grade School, Christ Memorial in Milwaukee.  We wore black and gold, and my sister and sister-in-law could recite the cheers which ended "Hail to the Black and Gold."  But after serious outreach to old people who could still even remember the school at all, we were The Tigers.  Black and gold stripes.  Nice.  We won a lot.  We won in fact almost all the time. 
But we didn't remember that we were the Tigers.  We were Christ Memorial - CM.  Black and Gold Champions.

I think the same kind of thing is the case at Valpo.  That's what my family members, many of whom are graduates, go back to - Valpo.  Not as much the Crusaders; Valpo.  If the Cresset goes out of publication, that to me is a more serious topic and loss.  That's philosophical/theological/academic anchor.  Why stop that?  But the Crusader could be a Knight.  My favorite is SW's - The Valpo Alpos.

Finally, I grew up in Milwaukee in the 50s.  And we could go to the home team's baseball games for 35 cents.  So we went to every doubleheader - 17 1/2 cents per game.  There were a lot of those then.  And we went for batting practice and stayed til the final out.  So that's where we - the northside mates - learned the national anthem.  "The land of the free," we belted it out with our little hands over our hearts, "and the hoomme of the ...........Braves."  Play ball.

Dave Benke
A theologically significant nickname would be the Valpo Mysteries (or just the Valpo Mystery). The mascot could come out on the field floor wrapped in a riddle, (like the Batman villain), fling off that cape or disguise to reveal an enigma, which would be harder to pull off as a costume-- maybe the WWII enigma machine or something. Then fling that off and, like a magician, disappear in smoke. All the kids in the stands would be amazed. It would be a lot more entertaining than a lot of their football games. Plus, when the fans in the stand ask each other such things as "What the heck kind of a play call was that," or, "What was that guy thinking," there would be a a stock answer to redirect people's attention to the mascot, who would keep appearing and disappearing periodically throughout the game.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
Or maybe the mascot of any church-related college should be a big question mark. This represents the question that might be asked: what does this college get from all the money it spends on sports? How does this money advance or hinder the essential mission of the college?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.