Author Topic: A Prayer for the Evening of the First Day of a New Year  (Read 2385 times)

Weedon

A Prayer for the Evening of the First Day of a New Year
« on: January 01, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »
(Starck’s pp. 73, 74)

Great and exalted God, the trust I placed in You has not been put to shame on this first day of the year. I have tasted Your goodness and love today. You have given me a cheerful heart. You have caused Your Word to be proclaimed to me. You have satisfied and overwhelmed me with many blessings. Praise, glory, and thanksgiving to You with all my heart.

You have graciously heard my prayer up till now: listen again as I pray to you before going to rest. At the dawn of the day and year I prayed for Your favor, grace, and blessing. I now add a humble request on behalf of others because according to Your commandment I am to make supplications, thanksgivings, and prayers for all kinds of people. Let those whom You have appointed to serve in government on earth discharge their duties with uninterrupted prosperity. Crown all who bear Your image and are Your servants with health. Make them careful and give them wise counsel to carry out the duties of their office properly. Let them always remember that they have been placed above others by You, in order that they may administer justice, reward good, and punish evil, that all who are subject to their rule may lead a quiet and peaceful life in all godliness and honesty.

Furnish those whom You have sent out to proclaim the Gospel of peace with the manifold gifts of Your Spirit. Give them the ability and strength to conduct their important office. Let them always open their mouths joyfully to Your praise. Grant that they may freely and without fear proclaim the divine truth, so that through their ministry Your kingdom on earth may spread ever further and a communion of people be gathered who will take comfort in Your grace. Let the entire Christian Church be commended to You also in this year. Deal with each and every one as a loving Father, who has been reconciled through Christ. Do good to them as to Your children. Bless their occupation, profession, and calling. Avert from them every misfortune and always be their Sun and Shield.

Having thus provided for them in all bodily things, show them Your grace and goodness also in spiritual matters. Let sinners be led to repentance by Your goodness so that the angels in heaven may rejoice over them. Strengthen, establish, and confirm in their good estate those who are in grace, that nothing may rob them of their crown and of that which they have committed to You. Gladden the hearts of all who are afflicted and sorrowful. Strengthen and heal the sick and the feeble. Comfort and refresh the forsaken. Have mercy on all men.

These, O Father of mercies, are the supplications I bring before You. Graciously hear them and add to them Your “Yes and Amen.” In this manner bless us, O God, our God in whom we trust. Yes, bless us in spiritual and temporal things until in eternity we shall reap blessings without end from Your hand and enterinto the possession of the glories of Your house. In confident trust that You will certainly hear my request, I close my eyes and say: Abide, O faithful Savior, Among us with Your love; Grant steadfastness and help us To reach our home above. Amen. 

https://www.cph.org/p-2263-starcks-prayer-book.aspx

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A Prayer for the Evening of the First Day of a New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 06:45:06 PM »
The Prayer from behind the Ambo, Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, used only on January 1:

THE PRAYER BEHIND THE AMBON

O Christ, our God, accept from those who call upon You with all their heart this spiritual sacrifice without the shedding of blood as a sacrifice of praise and true worship. You are the Lamb and Son of God who bears the sins of the world; the blameless calf who does not accept the yoke of sin and who freely sacrificed Yourself for us. You are broken but not divided. You are consumed but never spent. You sanctify those who partake of you. In remembrance of Your voluntary passion and life-giving resurrection on the third day, You have made us partakers of Your ineffable and heavenly and awesome mysteries of Your holy Body and precious Blood. Preserve us, Your servants, those who minister, our leaders, the armed forces, and the people present here, in Your holiness. Grant that we may meditate upon Your righteousness at all times and in every season. Guide us and our actions so that we may do what is pleasing to You, and may You find us worthy to stand at Your right hand when You return to judge the living and the dead. Deliver our brothers and sisters who are in captivity, visit those who are sick, protect those who are in danger at sea, and give rest to the souls of all those who have fallen asleep in the hope of the eternal life where the light of Your face shines. Hear the petitions of all those who beseech You for Your help. For You are the giver of all good things, and to You we give glory, together with Your eternal Father and Your all holy, good, and life giving Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.

The prayer from the Doxology for the New Year, which follows immediately after the Divine Liturgy on January 1:

O Lord our God, who have placed times and seasons under your own authority; who, in your infinite compassion and goodness, have counted us worthy to enter a New Year of your loving kindness, bless it and keep us in peace. Loose, remit and forgive any sins that we have committed during the year that is past, and keep us free from sin in the New Year. Enlighten us with the light of your truth and your divine commandments. Establish in our souls your holy will, and guide us to every work that is good and pleasing to you. Guard well our holy Church with your divine grace. Remember, Lord, our nation; train up the youth; protect the elderly; encourage the faint-hearted; gather the scattered; bring back those who have gone astray, and reunite them to your holy Church. Overshadow our Land with your might, and grant it gentle rain and abundance of the fruits of the earth. Speak of goodness in the hearts of our rulers; support and strengthen them, together with our armed forces by land, sea and air. Let your kingdom come upon us, O Lord; the kingdom of love, goodness, peace and justice; and make us worthy to praise and glorify, with one mouth and one heart, your most honorable and majestic name, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Weedon

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »
Thomas,

There is some amazing similar thinking in all those lovely prayers upon this day.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »
Thomas,

There is some amazing similar thinking in all those lovely prayers upon this day.

Aye.

The bridge from East to West may be near St. Louis.

Weedon

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 07:16:25 PM »
I think the bridge is always closest in actual piety; just think how the hymns of the West have survived the splintering as mostly a shared heritage, and even how some hymns of the east are sung in the West (from Joyous Light to Come Ye Faithful and The Day of Resurrection to A Great and Mighty Wonder and The King Shall Come). Similarly with Scripture infused and inspired prayer.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
A prayer which I composed three years ago for F.O.P. and other law enforcement related meetings:

Almighty and Everlasting God,
You are the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
All times and seasons are of your making and of your marking.   
We give you thanks for the year that has passed. 
When we were able to accomplish good; to you be the glory. 
When we fell short and erred, we ask your forgiveness and the strength to do better.
We ask that you would crown this new year with your blessing;
most especially the blessing of peace:
Which we seek for our world, our communities, our homes, and our hearts;
praying in the name of the Prince of Peace,
Amen.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 05:10:35 PM »
This prayer was not written specifically for New Year's, but has been a favorite of mine in uncertain times for years. It is from the Lutheran Service Book, collect #193, "For Guidance in Our Calling."

Lord God, You have called Your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go but only that Your hand is leading us and Your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 05:22:11 PM »
This prayer was not written specifically for New Year's, but has been a favorite of mine in uncertain times for years. It is from the Lutheran Service Book, collect #193, "For Guidance in Our Calling."

Lord God, You have called Your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go but only that Your hand is leading us and Your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen

That has been one of my favorites, especially in times of personal transition.

I first heard it in 1990 used with LBW Morning Prayer. Pfattiecher's Manual on the Liturgy attributes it to Eric Milner-White who wrote it for the Service Book and Hymnal (1958) as Collect # 96.   Not ancient, but become elderly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:29:32 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 01:59:30 AM »

That has been one of my favorites, especially in times of personal transition.

I first heard it in 1990 used with LBW Morning Prayer. Pfattiecher's Manual on the Liturgy attributes it to Eric Milner-White who wrote it for the Service Book and Hymnal (1958) as Collect # 96.   Not ancient, but become elderly.

It originally appeared in Daily Prayer by Eric Milner-White and George Wallace Briggs (London: Oxford, 1941).
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]