Author Topic: Parishioner's care for clergy  (Read 733 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Parishioner's care for clergy
« on: December 16, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »
Pastors know how very generous and kind parishioners can be. It is something I miss in retirement. But there are still moments. Today we had a call from the church secretary. Alyce, a 90-something lady who was normally a regular at our 7:30 a.m. service, had backed a loaf of persimmon bread for each of the clergy, including us retired folks (that would be five or six of us). She isn't leaving home (though she was there almost every week when we were back to in-person services in June through November), so she asked Debbie if she could come pick up the loaves and see that the clergy got them. It came with a Christmas card and a personal hand-written note. You gotta love her.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
Re: Parishioner's care for clergy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
I have a 90-something couple (where the husband is pushing 100) who were coming regularly to in-person worship for a while until we had a serious uptick in COVID cases and their family urged them to stay home.  But when they came I don't know how many times Lucille would hand my wife an envelope with money in it.  Often the amounts were at least $50.  Sometimes she would tell my wife to treat me or take me out.  Even after they started staying home they insisted on meeting me at church one day (they live less than 5 miles away) so that they could deliver their offering.  Such devotion and dedication.

Yes, you gotta love them.  They are the salt of the earth, a bright spot in this dark time.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peterm

• View Profile
Re: Parishioner's care for clergy
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
As a Christmas gift my two parishes, with the collusion of my wife and kids, absconded with my adaptive trike and took it to a bike shop to updated the tires, and gears, and add an electric assist motor.  I am touched beyond words and can't wait  to use it on the bike trails in the area this spring
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS