Author Topic: LCMS Inc 2020 Report  (Read 41194 times)

Jim Butler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: LCMS Inc 2020 Report
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:14 PM »
Tick Tock Tick Tock, what happens if say only 10% of churches weigh in on the convention postponement?

Well, then we'll jut to figure out where things go from there.

But I think 25% will vote and the postponement will be approved.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #406 on: January 24, 2021, 02:37:21 PM »
District Conventions may be held any time during the year prior to the Synod Convention.  Their most urgent business is electing people.  Apart from that urgency, most things could be accomplished via another venue.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2021, 08:25:32 PM »
The reason for the district and national convention delay should be, with that time lag, to gather and regroup first locally and then nationally around Word and Sacrament and in many opportunities for study and for fellowship in person, to regain the sense of the larger Body of Christ, to ponder what has been lost and what has been gained in wisdom and direction. 

The proposal to go to "another venue" (i.e. yet another online/virtual methodology) for most other things except elections is simply to envision that the purpose of conventions is elections.  Most particularly, in this special season for Christ's Church, the purpose must be to gather, regroup, share and grow as God's people. 

Don't delay - vote today - to delay. 

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2021, 08:31:48 PM »

Dave Benke

Very nice rhyme. Have you been inspired by that young lady at the inauguration?

Your respectful presbyter, Bishop. Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 24, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »

Dave Benke

We voted in December when we passed the budget. I had the officers register our vote the day we received the information. we voted to delay.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:14:23 PM by jebutler »
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:04 PM »
Our congregation voted and we have registered our vote, to delay.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
Looking again at the discussions about reducing the number of Districts or the number of congregations, here is an article looking at the problem of church finances, structure, and membership - not just during but perhaps accelerated by both COVID-19 era events and the blanket increase of secularization in American society.
The article is about a Church of England parish and the larger state of affairs in that church:
https://unherd.com/2021/02/can-the-church-cope-with-being-broke/

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2021, 10:26:03 AM »
Don't delay - vote today - not to delay.

I disagree with the vote to delay -- it is not because it cannot be done but because people don't want to.  If the ladies of the LWML can meet in national convention in 2021, I think the districts can.  You don't have to meet for more than a day to accomplish essential business.  You don't have to meet until the vaccines are out (Johnson and Johnson say 100 million doses of the single shot will be available by summer on top of the two others).  We in the Mid-South are meeting.  That is my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of anyone other than me.  But I hope and I am not alone.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »
At the BOD meeting this week our district leaders (North Wisconsin) decided to delay our convention if the Synod does, or hold it this summer if they remain on schedule.  I didn't sense any strong feelings either way. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
The Atlantic District is completely in favor of the delay at the leadership/Board level, as far as I've heard, along with every congregation that I know of, all around the issue of the safety of parishioners.  For that reason, we have had repeated Zoom meetings with pastors and leaders initiated by Bp. Lecakes on following the state guidelines for worship attendance and church opening/closing, wearing masks, taking other safety precautions in worship and enrolling vulnerable parishioners (at this time) for the vaccine. 

I wonder in the context of this push to have the conventions if there's a correlation with the two other surrounding issues - wearing of masks/PPP/safety precautions and state mandates on houses of worship.

Here there has been almost zero pushback on safety precautions at the local level.  There are no "anti-masker" leaders trying to force their views in who gets into the church building.  And there are to my knowledge no congregations harboring resentment or pushing the envelope on the mandated house of worship restrictions.  And without question, the overwhelming vote from here is going to be to delay the convention(s). 

Is there a correlation the other way when it comes to the "don't delay, convene today" voters?  AND - we don't need no masks, and we will bring out however many we want to our services? Is that a thing?

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2021, 12:11:06 PM »
The Atlantic District is completely in favor of the delay at the leadership/Board level, as far as I've heard, along with every congregation that I know of, all around the issue of the safety of parishioners.  For that reason, we have had repeated Zoom meetings with pastors and leaders initiated by Bp. Lecakes on following the state guidelines for worship attendance and church opening/closing, wearing masks, taking other safety precautions in worship and enrolling vulnerable parishioners (at this time) for the vaccine. 

I wonder in the context of this push to have the conventions if there's a correlation with the two other surrounding issues - wearing of masks/PPP/safety precautions and state mandates on houses of worship.

Here there has been almost zero pushback on safety precautions at the local level.  There are no "anti-masker" leaders trying to force their views in who gets into the church building.  And there are to my knowledge no congregations harboring resentment or pushing the envelope on the mandated house of worship restrictions.  And without question, the overwhelming vote from here is going to be to delay the convention(s). 

Is there a correlation the other way when it comes to the "don't delay, convene today" voters?  AND - we don't need no masks, and we will bring out however many we want to our services? Is that a thing?

Dave Benke

That's it. It's the liberals. Anti-law. Counter culture. anti-establishment. Cancel culture. "They ain't wearing no masks!" "And they have a 1st Amendment right to protest."

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 02:24:51 PM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2021, 02:09:01 PM »
There is, apparently, nothing more important to the future of the LCMS than when the Convention is held and whether it shall be held even if or when masks are no longer mandated or recommended.
Nothing.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2021, 04:10:43 PM »
There is, apparently, nothing more important to the future of the LCMS than when the Convention is held and whether it shall be held even if or when masks are no longer mandated or recommended.
Nothing.

Destiny.  DESTINY!  Preach it, brother.

Dave Benke

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »

Dave Benke

Of course.  Because everywhere is the same as NYC and its environs.  Because everyone who fails to see the need for delay is automatically an "anti-masker" (ooh, it must be bad because you have a label for it!).  Because if one does not agree that worship services everywhere must be banned (even if there is not the need locally) then one MUST be full of "resentment" and "pushing the envelope".

Honestly, Dr. Benke, you New Yorkers are THE most self-centered, egotistical folks in the world.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2021, 04:32:59 PM »
Pastor  ohlervwrites:
Honestly, Dr. Benke, you New Yorkers are THE most self-centered, egotistical folks in the world.
I comment:
Do not judge all New Yorkers by the behavior of former president Trump. Of course, he was born and reared a New Yorker, but hes a resident of Florida now.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.