Author Topic: And a beautiful Advent I Liturgy  (Read 770 times)

Weedon

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:39:02 PM by Weedon »

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
Re: And a beautiful Advent I Liturgy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
We rejoiced that hymns are again being sung during the distribution of the Lord’s Holy Body and Precious Blood. 

Slowly returning to a semblance of ‘normal’ .. still missing ... the sharing of the peace (I don’t miss that), no passing of the plate, no kneeling at the altar or chalice, still physically distanced with the pesky masks ... but all in all, much better that the best virtual service available.

Thankfully Midweek Advent services with communion will be in person.

In deference to 91+ year old father, we signed up for the guaranteed physically distanced 4p Christmas Eve service .. attendance limited to about 20% of sanctuary capacity .. guess singing in substantially empty nave is better than a virtual service from the recliner.

Christmas Day will be the Divine Service with Holy Communion ... thus beginning the celebration of the 12 Days of Christmas.

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:54:17 PM »
For the Orthodox, the Church Year is characterized by gentle, hyrostatic glides between the seasons rather than by sudden shifts.

After the 10th day of the Nativity Fast which began on November 15, we begin to sing the lovely Kontakion of the PreFeast of the Nativity.

So today was the first Sunday for its use, sung antiphonally between the chanter and the choir.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:56:13 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Weedon

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Actually, it’s kind of slide for us too into Advent, since last Sunday we heard the parable of the ten virgins and sang “Wake, Awake.” The theme of the end has really been largely with us all of November. The way I’ve often characterized it is that Western Advent guides us gently out of the medieval moorings of chiefly preparation for doom’s day (Dies irae) toward the early Church’s chiefly eager anticipation of the Appearing. St. Martin’s Lent kind of embraces the whole of that seasonal slide.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 01:19:00 PM »
Actually, it’s kind of slide for us too into Advent, since last Sunday we heard the parable of the ten virgins and sang “Wake, Awake.” The theme of the end has really been largely with us all of November. The way I’ve often characterized it is that Western Advent guides us gently out of the medieval moorings of chiefly preparation for doom’s day (Dies irae) toward the early Church’s chiefly eager anticipation of the Appearing. St. Martin’s Lent kind of embraces the whole of that seasonal slide.

William Willamon et al postulated that there is truly grand cycle "From Hope to Glory" beginning with Western All Saints' through Epiphany...that phrase became the title of a Cokesbury book offering liturgical resource for the greater season(s).

Incidentally, the Parable of the Wise Virgins is the Orthros Gospel for the Feast of St. Katherine the Great Martyr on November 25 which is also the leave-taking of the Feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos.  The hymnody for the Entrance--repeated that day--makes reference to the virgins bearing their lamps who accompanied the three year old Mary as she approached the Temple.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Weedon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 01:24:37 PM »
In addition to Wake, Awake; the organist had my son sing “The Bridegroom Soon Will Call Us” at the early liturgy. That is like one of my all time favorites in both text and the tune - how the thing dances! “That we with Him returning may find an open door!”

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:31:45 PM »
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/