Author Topic: Weekly Pericope Study  (Read 888 times)

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
Weekly Pericope Study
« on: November 28, 2020, 01:31:47 AM »
For most of us the New Church Year begins this weekend ... and there are opportunities and resources to study the weekly pericopes. 

Perhaps ... with the moderators concurrence, this thread can be dedicated to the sharing of various resources for the study of the pericopes each week. 

Any additional discussion of the weekly pericopes could be via individual threads as needed and/or on a single ‘Pericopes Discussion Thread’ ... again with moderator concurrence.

For most congregations, either the One Year Lectionary or the Three Year Lectionary is used ... at least in LCMS nomenclature the First Sunday in Advent 2020 begins the use of the ‘B’ series.

As contributions are made to this thread, please note the lectionary series being referenced (one or three year & year {A, B, or C}  ... especially if it is not the One or Three Year Series.   Also, if a specific Feast or Festival Day is being observed, please note that as well.

May our Good and Gracious God continue to bless us in the New Church Year and bless our new or continued study of His Holy Word.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Pericope Study
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 01:33:53 AM »
The Issues, Etc. One and Three Year pericopes series have been ongoing for some time.

The ‘Looking Forward to Sunday Morning’ (One Year Lectionary) are catalogued from the most recent back and are generally an hour in length.

The ‘Looking Forward to Sunday Morning’ (Three Year Lectionary) are catalogued from the most recent back and are generally an hour in length.

Relatively new is a video series from the Pastors and music director of Trinity Lutheran Church, Sheboygan, WI  Labeled as an ‘Online Bible Study’ YouTube playlist, the Pastors and music director provide a brief overview of the pericopes and hymns for the following Sunday. 

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
The First Sunday in Advent
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 01:36:05 AM »
Issues, Etc. First Sunday in Advent Pericopes Study

Looking a Forward to Sunday Morning - One Year Lectionary for November 29, 2020

Looking a Forward to Sunday Morning - Three Year Lectionary (Series B) for November 29, 2020

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
The First Sunday in Advent
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:00 AM »
The ‘Online Bible Study’ from Trinity Lutheran Church, Sheboygan, WI topic for the First Sunday in Advent is titled ‘Why Do We Celebrate Advent?

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
Here is the best sermon prep and pericope study I have ever found in years of online study.  (Such study is always best in person and with colleagues.) It’s “working preacher”  from Luther Seminary. But it is not not all seminary faculty. There are clergy and others from all over the country, from around the world, an amazing and inspiring variety of views on the lectionary texts. And the files go back a number of years, so you can get several different forms of guidance on each text. It is not locked into a “Lutheran ghetto.“ We get help  from other Christian traditions as well.
The link:
https://www.workingpreacher.org/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:48:45 AM by peter_speckhard »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Looking forward to participating in the ordination of a young woman from  Minnesota called to a parish in western North Dakota.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »
It is noteworthy that while Rev. Dr. Carl Fickenscher, the primary presenter of the Three Year Series pericopes, is a Homiletics Professor at Concordia Theological Seminary, Rev. Dr. David Petersen, the primary presenter of the One Year Series, is a parish pastor at Redeemer Lutheran Church as well as a contributor to ‘Gottesdienst: The Journal of Lutheran Liturgy’.

As this previous post indicates, Rev Timothy Mech and Rev John Berg are parish pastors of Triumph nity Lutheran Church, Sheboygan, WI.  Rev. Mech is author of ‘Pastors and Elders: Caring For The Church And One Another

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
I have created weekly "Gospel Notes for Next Sunday" for about 25 years. I began posting them on Ecunet (or LutherLink). Then I started e-mailing them to folks who weren't on Ecunet. I now e-mail my notes that I revise each week to about 600 addresses each week and post them on my Facebook page. At some point in the past, Mark Vitalis Hoffman, a professor at our Gettysburg Seminary, began posting them on his website with my permission, www.crossmarks.com.

These are papers based on the Greek text of the Gospel readings in the Revised Common Lectionary, that included exegetical and homiletical ideas. (I don't know if Mark updates the notes online each week.)
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
Good reminder, Brian. Your widely read exegetical notes are indeed out there for us to use.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Looking forward to participating in the ordination of a young woman from  Minnesota called to a parish in western North Dakota.