Author Topic: Rev. Paul T. McCain, RIP  (Read 3319 times)

Weedon

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Rev. Paul T. McCain, RIP
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
I believe it was a heart attack. Grant rest, O Christ, to your servant with your saints.
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 10:25:44 PM »
Paul will be remembered for many things but I think his most proud work was done at CPH, leading it to become the premier Lutheran publisher in the world.  A friend of several decades, I am shocked and saddened for the loss to his family, CPH, and the church body he loved.  Requiescant in pace.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
www.thewordendures.org

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
https://weedon.blogspot.com/2020/11/remembering-friend-paul-timothy-mccain.html

Thank you for these personal reflections and memories.  I knew Paul mainly through the internet, which, as you note, did not always show his best side.  I did meet him in person once in St. Louis around 2007, when I was at the IC as part of a tour in connection with the Writer's Workshop. I wish that I could have had that cup of coffee with him that you would recommend, but I have not often been in St.Louis, living far up in the cold white north, rarely venturing that far south.  The church has indeed lost a passionate defender of its teachings.  Requiescat in pace my brother in Christ. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
Thanks, Don. I wish you could have enjoyed that cuppa with him!
www.thewordendures.org

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 06:00:44 PM »
Those of us who knew the Rev. Paul T. McCain honor his memory and treasure his contributions to the church, sure that as a good Lutheran he would think of himself as simul justus et peccator, as I, myself wish to be remembered when my time comes to "depart and be with Christ which is far better." It is said of the sainted Luther himself, that after his death they found a piece of paper beside his bed on which was written, half in Latin, half in German: "Wir sein Pettler, Hoc est Verum" ("We are beggars, that is true").  With this we simply thank God for the life and work of our brother in Christ. May He rest now in the true peace of Christ.
Pastor Don Engebretson

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
A recent FB post reminded me of one of the Rev. Paul McCain's legacies to the church.  I think that Pr. Herman Otten may have been an early proponent calling for a more affordable edition of the BOC, especially to make it more accessible to laypeople. Although, as with any edition of the BOC there will be some differences and disagreement, the Rev. McCain's work as editor of CONCORDIA - The Lutheran Confessions (CPH, 2007) will remain as a lasting contribution to the church.  It is now in its second edition and several individual portions of the confessions (AC, Smalcald Articles, Formula, etc.) have also been printed in separate booklets.  The hardback version is currently discounted at $25, and in what might be the first ever paperback version of the confessions, we have a very affordable one sale priced at $15. One of the challenges of publishing is making books affordable to the average buyer.  Any pastor understands the hefty prices they pay for works that get a small circulation and thus have a higher sticker price.  Many thanks to our departed brother for this contribution to the church. 
Pastor Don Engebretson

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »
Obituary: Rev. Paul Timothy McCain, publisher and executive editor, Concordia Publishing House

https://blogs.lcms.org/2020/obituary-rev-paul-timothy-mccain-publisher-and-executive-editor-concordia-publishing-house/

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »
Thanks for that info, Julio.
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Rev Geminn

• View Profile
    • www.afoolishway.com
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
This is very sad and shocking news given Paulís age.  I will confess that I had some rather negative encounters with Paul online, but hadnít really interacted with him much since the early 2010s.  Popping up on various websites and forums (like this one) throughout the years he often struck me as an individual who was at war with himself more than anyone else.  That may be my own conjecture, though.  I never got to witness the gentle side of Paul that Will writes of, which is sad in its own way.  Will's writing reminds me yet again that we are all truly complex beings in need of the grace of God.  Nonetheless, I truly hope he is now resting in the peace of Christ. It seems to me that he may have been in need of such rest.

My peace and condolences to his family during this difficult time.

In Christ,
Scott+

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 12:17:59 AM »
I, too, am saddened by this news of Paul's death. While he and I had our disagreements over the years, which is putting it mildly, Paul was--and is--a brother in Christ, one who was baptized into the death and resurrection of Jesus, the Crucified and Risen One.

May Paul rest in the peace and light of the LORD, and may the Father of all compassion and all comfort be with his family in this time of sorrow.

Matt Becker

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 03:06:32 PM »
https://www.csl.edu/live/

At 36:20... Yes! The physical resurrection!

If there, Dr. Gibbs must have had on his happy face.  :)
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
I add my condolences and shock at this news.  Paul and I had an interesting relationship that began during his days representing President Barry, which is where I met him....at my Colloquy for the Pastoral Ministry.  Years later he informed me that he couldnít have been there, but alas he was.  We had good conversations while he was at CPH, I appreciate his intellect and faith.  He is now in the hands of the Savior he proclaimed throughout his life.

Eternal rest, grant to him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 05:48:48 PM »
Having crossed paths with him on this site a few times, and having been on the opposite side of the argument a few times, I appreciated his faithfulness and zeal. So this afternoon , my Mass intention was for the repose of his soul, and he was named in the canon.
Matt Hummel

ďThe chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.Ē

― J.R.R. Tolkien